Hammock Gear Wanderlust Kit- Is there ever an additional sale?

I want to try out a hammock for backpacking- the High Sierra where I normally go isn't so conducive to hammocking but I plan on an Appalachian Trail section hike next year and an AT thru in about 3 years. Based on some nights hammocking on the back porch I -think- a hammock will work for me but I won't truly know until doing at least a weeklong trip. I don't want to spend thousands on the most perfect bespoke 1000fp DCF hammock setup to find out I prefer a foam mat on the dirt.

The Wanderlust kit with economy quilts appears to be a phenomenal deal at $500. I might eventually go with some different gear (such as a wider tarp with doors if I start the AT in winter), but at the price I don't see how I could go wrong. Since I'm in no hurry, is there ever an additional discount on the whole kit? In any case I probably won't buy until after summer. (Because money!)

Thanks,
    Jim

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    I don't recall seeing the Wanderlust on sale since the kit and quilts are already discounted. You can play the wait & see game...I think they do a Memorial Day sale.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I agree about the sale question... never seen them on sale as a package.

However, that really is an excellent deal @$500 if you just want to 'dip a toe in the pool' to see if you like it. It's solid gear and not a total crap shoot like something you might try to cobble together with various Amazon vendors.

I'd also add that the Wanderluxe kit is spot-on for someone going all-in UL. The only thing I'd do differently is the suspension (plain Kevlar webbing) but other than that it hits every mark for me.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Went and looked at my emails for the Black Friday deals: 10% off everything up to $500, 15% off over $500. Only exception was: "Both codes apply to everything except The WanderLust & WanderLuxe Kits"

Thank you and that makes good sense- I agree that the $500 kit adds up to more like $750 or more if I bought similar items all at retail. The WanderLuxe does look nice but it's hard for me to justify the extra $300 before I even know whether I like hammocking!

My other thought with the WanderLuxe is that if I do end up with an early-season start on the AT I would likely want a bigger tarp with doors so save and spend for that item separately. I can deal with the slightly heavier quilts. (Quack Quack instead of Honk Honk)

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    I have that kit and would add:

1)Write to them and ask about deals/pricing. HG customer service is excellent. I'm a repeat, repeat customer and about to order an UQ from them.

2) The basic kit: hammock, tarp and suspension is a great entry point. I just slept in mine last night. Happy customer. It's a good basic foundation and then you can try different suspensions, tarps etc as your interests and experience grow. The tarp is perfectly serviceable; no need to go DCF unless you're really counting grams or have a cuben fiber fettish.

3) If you are aiming toward lightweight then you might consider piecing out the quilts. The Econ quilts are bulky compared to the Premium versions. A lot of posts here by people who started with Econ and sold them to upgrade to the Premium. I saw those posts and held off on the more inclusive kit. Also if you already have a sleeping bag, you might not need the TQ right away and can save toward lighter quilts. Buy once, cry once.

Hammock
    Dream hammock Raven
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    HG incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    I think you should pull the trigger. I bought two of those kits for my kids and they love them. I have a ton of HG gear and I would feel confident in using the stuff I bought my kids.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobonli View Post
    I have that kit and would add:

3) If you are aiming toward lightweight then you might consider piecing out the quilts. The Econ quilts are bulky compared to the Premium versions. A lot of posts here by people who started with Econ and sold them to upgrade to the Premium. I saw those posts and held off on the more inclusive kit. Also if you already have a sleeping bag, you might not need the TQ right away and can save toward lighter quilts. Buy once, cry once.
    My 40F Econ Burrow/Phoenix packs down small enough that I don't have an issue with the volume. However, I'm kinda leaning that way with my 20F Econ Burrow/Incubator set. Debating on selling my 20F Econ Phoenix outright. But then again, maybe hang on to them as loaners or giving them to my son.

Hammock
    DIY 11 ft Double Layer
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Inc30 / B40
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    We priced our Kits, both the Wanderlust and Wanderluxe, with a built in savings of approximately 20-25% off retail (buying all the items separately), so we most likely will not put these items on sale. If anyone has any additional questions, you can always reach out to me at our email address below
    Harry Carlson
    Customer Support
    www.hammockgear.com
    740-445-4327
    [email protected]

Hammock
    SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Operator, Habanero
    Suspension
    Turtles, Whoopies
    I have not seen an additional sale on the Wanderlust Kit. I have specifically seen mention in previous sales that the Wanderlust Kit is not included in any additional discounts. It's a pretty good deal already so I wouldn't be shy about pulling the trigger if you think it will work for you.

I have also noticed that HG has not been doing as many sales as they used to in general. Perhaps with COVID, outdoor recreation has increased so much that vendors are having a hard time keeping up without the use of discounts to boost sales? Just a theory but I have not seen as many sales as I'm used to seeing from many vendors, at least as far as I can recall.

• + New Posts