Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hmm, some great replies here. Btw I've been wondering, are there customary standards/culture of replying to each post individually? I'm an overthinker but I'm also very grateful for every reply I get when I'm posting to learn.

The only conclusion I can end on with these great replies is that I should buy both. Is there such a thing as tarp-addiction? Hammocking seems to be like drugs, one hang and you're hooked or sumtin. Nobody warned me. I've already noticed I can't go anywhere without automatically scanning for good spots to hang a hammock, even indoors.

Nah, not gonna buy both right now. I think I'll wait with the doors until I've read up on more reviews. Also my brother is moving to the US soon to work as a professor, so I'll have him ship stuff to me. Shipping now during Covid takes forever.
    I enjoy reading reviews and looking for the ultimate design, but it's also a bit tiresome. Honestly the hammock-market feels saturated, and even though I fully support and appreciate all these homegrown garage-companies (like 99% North American), at some point it doesn't really matter which product one chooses. But every review I see of any product there's always specific complaints that seem reasonable to me. Hoping one day to find product reviews with no complaints.

I'll go for the hex now and go for the most perfect tarp w/doors I can find after doing some research. So far I only got the standard small tarp from HH and its lackings are obvious.

To the person mentioning snakeskins: Yeah I bought them but much prefer stuffsacks. My continuous rl is set up with the stuffsack hanging at one end via prussiks. Also any specific reasons to keep the rl over the tarp in rainy conditions? I enjoy the sharp line a continuous rl gives me when it's under, but I never tried over so maybe it'll be the same.

To the one mentioning the sognefjord. It's a bit away from me, but lots of cruises go from Bergen to those fjords.

And finally, maybe it'll pass if I get more active here but a reply from Shug in this place is to me like getting a reply from Hendrix on a guitar forum. #starstruck

Two things about running the RL under the tarp:

There is a (small) risk that the RL will cause abnormal wear of the tarp.

It is possible for rain to wick or run along the RL and drip on the hammock.

(You're probably not going to hear from Hendrix...)

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I recommend a tarp with doors. May not need them every trip, but when you do......
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

aaah, tarp addiction, we didn't tell you about it? there should be a sticky. ****, it's too late for you now.

i temporarily solved (or rather delayed) the problem by buying a few very cheap and unsuitable tarps, that need serious modifications to be useful, and a sewing machine. i proceeded to get girlfriend hooked on playing with the sewing machine, and now i experiment with various designs. because none of the wonderful commercially available tarps are perfect enough anyway, and this way, you know, there's only so many (dirt cheap) tarps you can modify and test in a month, in your free time. it doesn't actually solve the addiction problem, but at least it redirects it :P. it does solve waiting for shipment, and crazy import taxes though.

btw: product reviews without complaints you can find plenty, and they are almost always completely worthless (they are covert sales pitches, not reviews), there's in fact way too many of them these days. some include silly complaints that won't bother anyone, so that they look like they are doing "some job". please don't wish for reviews with no complaints.

i personally don't think the market is saturated, on the contrary, i think the hammocking "niche" is still somewhat immature, even in north america, so there's still a lot of experimentation going on. this is what makes it exciting to some people, and intimidating to others: most people around here, i have a hunch, get hooked on playing around with different options (either bought or home made), more than anything else. as you said, even the setup is interesting, and there's some creative component to it, so you find yourself evaluating possible setups in a new place, it's just a fun game for the brain, on top of the practical usefulness. unlike many other addictions, as long as you find ways to keep the costs under control, there should be no major side effects. well, long term data is still missing, do let us know :P

Hammock
    Clark TX 270
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Insulation
    HG incubator
    Suspension
    Whoops
    Images
    Doors are handy, but you have to carry it. Everything is a trade off.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    To expand a bit on the over/under ridgeline. The only time I’d put it under the tarp is maybe in winter to provide a better support in case of snow load. I normally don’t put it under at other times because as mentioned by TiminMN, if the wind is blowing the tarp a lot, it is rubbing on the seam seal, in addition to the fabric. And it can be a road for the rain to flow under the tarp. Some positives of having it above are, if your tarp has pull outs for the sides you can connect them to a pole (hiking pole, stick, etc.) that runs over the ridge line so you don’t have to deal with additional guylines. And you can hang stuff over the line to dry out.

Now if it’s raining and you have a good water break - traditionally a piece of shoe lace (cotton string) tied to the ridge line to divert the water flow - you can hang clothes on a ridgeline that is under the tarp. That keeps them out of the rain and pulls the ridgeline down a bit so it doesn’t rub. Note that Dutchware - I think it’s them - has added a ring, under the tarp at both ends, inset a bit. So you can connect a line to the rings independently from the exterior ridgeline connection.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Remember you are carrying rain gear. Even the most minimalist wind shirt can make for a decent door or beak for the weather end of most tarps. Garbage sacks? I think most of us carry one or two just in case. Even better. A little extra cordage is cheaper and lighter to pack.

If you really decide you need them later, pretty sure you can have doors made to fit.

I own multiple tarps but just carry the HG DCF Hex.
    Signature suspended

Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    Two things about running the RL under the tarp:

There is a (small) risk that the RL will cause abnormal wear of the tarp.

It is possible for rain to wick or run along the RL and drip on the hammock.

(You're probably not going to hear from Hendrix...)
    I'm willing to risk the wear on the tarp as I don't believe there will be enough friction to cause that much wear on the tarp, atleast not when it's all set up. Ofc I could be wrong.
    But I've added driplines a few inches under the tarp

Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    I've always doubted that there's enough friction from a continuous rl to damage a tarp that much, and I've prefered to keep most of my rl dry in addition to occasionally hanging stuff on it (which as you pointed out eliminates the contact btween rl and tarp). I might go back to trying single ropes from each side, but it seems easier to adjust the tarp sliding on a continuous.
    I'm not sure I quite understood what you meant with the pole, but it sounds interesting.

Well I changed my mind last minute and ordered a journey. Went for a 11 foot instead of a 12. Found posts here with people swearing to both, so it wasn't easy.
    Reasons for going for a 12 is I don't mind extra weight or bulk, I love a big ol' porch mode and it cost nearly the same, and I've never had a hanging spot that was anything less than 13 feet.
    But I figured there's prolly plenty of space under a 11 foot tarp, and at the end of the day the 11 can hang places where the 12 can't, but not the other way around.
    Still not sure if I should have gone for the 12 though. I'm indecisive as hell.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast