Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Need some help deciding if I should cancel my HH hex fly and go for a tarp with doors

K, so I know there's no correct answer for this, and the nagging feeling in the back of my head is propably the closest thing there is to an answer.
    A tarp with doors just makes sense to me as it's two in one, so I've been looking at Hammock Gears The Journey, which is the only one I can find in my country (Norway). Import fees are hell here (25% of cost and transport) but the journey is expensive so I can prolly order from the US and still pay less for any tarp with doors . The tarp costs 270 USD
    Even tho the journey has gotten good reviews, there's minor things holding me back, like the doors don't seem to be designed to lock on to the tarp when open and that there's a small gap at the doors, which is not the case with UGQ Winter Dream tarp (not sure if a small gap is actually needed for wind to pass through instead of tearing at the doors).

I put in a order for the HH hex fly (using a HH explorer zip). Even tho there are cheaper and bigger tarps, there's so many great reviews about how solid the hex fly is, and at 100 USD it's alot cheaper than the journey

But I'm stuck, maybe it's better to spend 270 now rather than 100 + 270 later. I live in the rainiest city in Norway with rain often coming in sideways, and with a tarp with doors I actually have a choice.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Doors are mighty handy when you need them.
    Especially with cold wind blowing through the tarp.
    Truth.
    Shug
    Last edited by Shug; 04-10-2021 at 11:26.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBRR,HENESSEY JUNGLE, ENO 1 link
    Tarp
    ENO PRO, SLD WH
    Insulation
    Igniter and blaze
    Suspension
    Buckles,atlas,ring
    Doors, definitely doors. There are a million ways to keep them open when not needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hammock
    To many
    Tarp
    To many
    Insulation
    Incubator 20 + oth
    Suspension
    Buckles
    Images
    The HHH is a fine tarp. You can make doors or order doors from some US vendors if you decide you need them. Wife has a superfly with doors but I've never felt the need for the doors. If any chance of rain, I pitch low. Here in TN we have a lot of rain in the spring seasons.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon or DIY Robic XL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & CDT TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinger-B2Z View Post
    I live in the rainiest city in Norway with rain often coming in sideways, and with a tarp with doors I actually have a choice.
    I think you answered your own question. Pay once...cry once. Get the doors and set your mind at ease. You may not use them on every outing, but when you need them...

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

i'm inclined to say, given your circumstances, stick to the plan and see later if you want to add doors or what. but i don't know enough to be sure:

- do you already have another tarp you playd with, or is this the first one?
    - if you already have a tarp, what is it, and in which ways/conditions did you find it wanting?

doors are great, but shipping a tarp which already costs nearly 300bucks over the ocean is a bit extreme (i'm in europe too, i feel your pain). if you haven't used a decent tarp with a hammock for at least a season or so, i'd say stick to the plan, and try the (reasonably priced) hh hex first. it seems like a very capable tarp to start with and figure out what you want, and if you decide this one is not what you want, that won't render it useless (you can either sell it on, or, most likely, keep it for certain purposes).

edit: aaah, i take it you can buy the journey locally, without importing, but for (basically) twice the list price. my thoughts still stand, but i'd add this: i know norway is one of the most expensive places to live on the planet (one of the nicest too), but i find it hard to justify doubling the price, even with import taxes and such, i don't want to be judgemental, i don't have enough data, but i'd think carefully if i want to support such seller at all (perhaps there's good reason to say they earn their huge markup, i don't know, i'd just think carefully about it).

i started with a cheap rectangular tarp, much smaller even than the hh hex, just because i could buy it locally and experiment with it to see what i want, i found that i can stay dry even in the more "challenging" conditions (though i'm not going to compare that with bergen sideways rain, i don't remember sognefjord to be that extreme in the summer, but you surely know best). if you have used some tarp already for a while, let us know and we can figure out what makes most sense.
    Last edited by nanok; 04-10-2021 at 10:18.

I happen to think that owning a basic hex tarp is never a bad thing. Simple is good! I'm guessing that if you already have a basic tarp that you wouldn't be considering the HH. I think most serious hangers end up owning more than one tarp anyway. I think that doored tarp can wait...
    Last edited by TominMN; 04-11-2021 at 15:10.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    EE/HG/UGQ quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/straps
    Images
    My vote is have the doors. As others have said, clip them out of the way when you don't need them and you have a hex tarp. When it's raining sideways deploy the doors and stay nice and dry.

Hammock
    Dutch Wide
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    SLD & HG
    Suspension
    Myerstech UHMWPE
    I have a Hennessy Hex and have been through some really rough thunderstorms in it and had no issues. It's a very solid piece of kit.

That said, I also bought a Hammock Geat CF tarp with doors. It's also a good tarp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I used a Hennessy Hex for years and it is a solid tarp. And if you had occasionally sideways rain, you could hang a temporary barrier on the ends - like your rain jacket. But if blowing rain is the norm, you’ll want doors - AND snakeskins. SnakeSkins are nylon sleeves that slip over the tarp so it looks like one long tube. It allows you to put up the tarp ridgeline (with tarp attached) then slide the sleeve off, guying the tarp sides and the lines are exposed. This prevent the whole tarp from becoming a sail before you get it up.

The gap at the top (and sometimes down the middle) of some doors is not much of a problem - and it allow some ventilation/air flow. Remember, your tarp is not positioned right at that gap - it is usually at least a foot away. That said, if you get that much rain, be sure you have a rain break of some kind on your hammock suspension in case the rain finds a way to tickle down. The same goes for your tarp suspension if you run it under the tarp. Note that in a rainy environment it is recommended NOT to run it under the tarp; hang the tarp under the tarp suspension.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast