Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I do the same as cmoulder, though different tarps have different cordage, depending on when I got it and how light I wanted it. I have also been using a Dutch hook on one end of my CRL. I have found it to be awesomely small and fast to use, and it works really well for me in all weather, ymmv.

Hammock
    MYOG Bridge
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Straps & Turtles
    Images
    I use prussiks for my tarp ridgeline. I can't justify hardware for something that's braindead hamster easy already. Granted we all have different opinions but the only hardware that for me justifies itself more as a need than a want is a microhook for getting the rainfly around the tree, rather than a loop & stick method I used to have.

Line tensioning I can do easy enough with a trucker's hitch although the simplicity of of those Loopalien MicroTi GLT things is wonderful. Not a need but I use one now just for the ease of it.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    You can pull the wire gate out of a metal mitten hook and it will work on a tarp suspension line like a DutchHook. I’m careful to come off the side of the tree instead of the middle in order to minimize the pull on the hook. It’s slightly larger than a DutchHook so easier to work with and can take larger line. I’m not saying it’s as strong; don’t know it’s breaking point. But it’s works so far as the first tree anchor in tarp suspension. What I use on the other end is still a work in progress.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

the only pitfalls i see are that you might still find the hooks fidly/difficult under tension (like in windy conditions), i haven't used them myself, but knowing this kind of hardware i can imagine it might be a pain. they are cute and hey, it's Ti, it's jewlery. the other one is that you should probably stop using prusiks :P (there are almost always better knots for the job)

as you seem to like knots, you might want to consider playing with this while the hooks are on the way: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...(uni-shackle-)
    i basically purpose designed these as a solution for your exact problem, it's just that they happen to solve my problem too: they are easy to operate one handed, much less fidly than any softshackle, and most importantly can be opened and closed one handed under tension (tarp in windy conditions). you can tie them at the end of a line (tie once and than just use it, same as you would tie a hook or carabinner to the end of the line, but without the piece of hardware), or tie the tail as a blake hitch (replacing the prusik) to the ridgeline (as you can see in the pic in the thread), or you can tie the tail to the tarp tieout directly, and close the shackle on the loop of the prusik (if you like the prusiks, or to try it with minimal change to your current setup). btw, if you do try i'd be very curious for any feedback

I didn’t like my continuous ridgeline so now I use fixed 6’ lengths of 3mm line off each end of my tarp ridgeline and then use this no-hardware system: https://andrewskurka.com/guyline-ten...arps-hammocks/

I have some dutchware wasps that are ok but were more fidly than the skurka method so I went back. My ridge line always holds and works when my hands are cold (cold use is why i use 3mm cord for the ridgeline).

Hammock
    1.0 HyperD DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware DCF
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Thanks, KingMob, I’ll have to make a couple of evoloops and play with them. For some reason, I was thinking that they wouldn’t really be an improvement over soft shackles, but if you find them easier, I’ll have to try them. I have plenty of extra rope, so I might whip a couple out today.

Bob, I’m going to try something besides zing-it for prusiks, also. I found the exact same thing - 4 wraps held them fine, but boy they didn’t want to go anywhere after that!

Thanks for that link, nanok, I might make a couple of those too! Knots fascinate me. I absolutely love how many things can be done with them. I think they up the cool factor too

Chicondamon, that’s pretty much what I was doing. Very quick and easy, but trying to move away from it for adjustability reasons.

I got it all spliced up last night, including some new tie outs, so I’m going to rig it all up later today and see what I think. Planning to do the Eagle Rock Loop next week, before it gets too hot and humid down here, so that’ll give me time to fiddle with it before I leave (or try something else if I hate it!). Thanks for the input everyone!

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

Thoughts on new ridgeline system?

A pull loop can be added to prusik loop. Pull loop helps pull prusik in either direction.

A length of zingit tied into a loop. Loop large enough to get your hand in, for pulling. You can close your pull loop with an overhand knot, double overhand knot, or alpine butterfly loop.

Place loop on tarp guyline. One side of loop touching tarp guyline.

Make another zingit loop to be prusik loop. It can be slightly smaller circumference than pull loop.

Tie prusik loop around both tarp guyline and pull loop at same time and place, where pull loop touches tarp guyline.

The prusik loop will hold both pull loop and tarp guyline inside the prusik.

Now is a good time to larkshead prusik loop to tarp guyline tabs.

Or if prusik has not been closed of yet with overhand knot etc, then you can close prusik loop around tarp guyline tabs.

After using pull loop to EASILY move prusik to new location along tarp guyline, I tighten prusik by bending tarp guyline in a U shape or horseshoe shape while pulling hard on prusik loop.
    And also holding it to NOT stress the tarp guyline tab, that is sewn into tarp.

I don’t have pictures or video. Jeff Myers of Myers Tech has a YouTube video demonstrating pull loop with prusik, adjusting easily along guyline.

I used zingit 2.2 for tarp guyline, prusik loop, and pull loop. I used five or six wraps on prusik loop.

Watch Jeff Myers video. I’m not sure of it’s title.
    Maybe he can email the title to you. Jeff uses Facebook.
    Last edited by Phantom Grappler; 04-19-2021 at 11:04.

Hammock
    1.0 HyperD DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware DCF
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Straps
    I found the video, and it was one of those “DOH!” moments. Kind of the same principle as a small loop, larks headed to a continuous loop when using a Becket hitch. Neat! I use them with the hammock suspension, and it’s like untying your shoe laces - so much easier.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    I like to use a mini-Evo loop to secure one end of my ridgeline & a trucker's hitch to secure the other end. For my ridgeline & prusik loops, I prefer Lawson cordage because it holds a knot really well. Zing It & such, is too slippery IMO, but it makes great loops for mini-biners & is what I use to connect my tarp to each prusik loop.
    Last edited by ObdewlaX; 04-20-2021 at 10:52.

Hammock
    1.0 HyperD DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware DCF
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Well, I’m really hoping this works for me right now. I decided to get the snakeskins made before I string it all up. But I’ve been working on button knots all afternoon and still can’t get the ‘hang’ of them. I might have to buy some darn evo-loops if I want to play around with them.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast