1.0 HyperD DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware DCF
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Straps

Thoughts on new ridgeline system?

Maybe I should’ve gotten opinions BEFORE I ordered it all, but you know...hindsight and all. After using a split RL for awhile, I tried a CRL again. My main motivation was quicker adjustability. I used soft shackle prussiks to attach the tarp, but that’s one area where I’d be happy carrying a little extra weight, since it was a real pain to get them undone with one hand (the other was busy trying to keep the tarp from blowing away down the mountain).

The tiny Dutch hooks looked very attractive for their weight, so I ordered 4. I figured I could splice one onto the fixed end of the CRL, and use a prussik for the adjustable end and with both tarp attachment points. I figured if the 1.6 grams gave me the adjustability and ease of use that I’m looking for, then it’s a win/win. Anyone see any potential pitfalls that I’m overlooking?

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Should work, but what I don't like about those hooks is they are just too dang small to use if my hands are cold.

Quote Originally Posted by AmberG View Post
    ...adjustability and ease of use that I’m looking for, then it’s a win/win. Anyone see any potential pitfalls that I’m overlooking?
    You might consider using Nama Claws instead of prussicks and hooks. Easy to use and adjustable. I'm a fan.

https://www.namagear.com/shop
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Trail Winder
    Are you using a snake skin? It would definitely help in those windy situations.

Quote Originally Posted by sidneyhornblower View Post
    You might consider using Nama Claws instead of prussicks and hooks. Easy to use and adjustable. I'm a fan.
    But they weigh 3.5g!!!
    Last edited by TominMN; 04-09-2021 at 06:24.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty, Astd. Dutch
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex, TF
    Insulation
    HG,WLSS,JrB,UGQ,LL
    Suspension
    LW straps/Becket
    I have the mini evos from Jeff Meyers that I like-except when it's really cold. Like Otter says, they are difficult to use in cold weather so when it gets cold I add a mini-biner which is a lot easier with numb hands.

Hammock
    1.0 HyperD DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware DCF
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Up until now, I’ve been hardware free, almost stubbornly so. I looked at Evo loops, but they didn’t look like they’d be much easier than soft shackles, although I could be wrong. The hooks look tiny, but I’m not real big, myself. Lol. I really went back and forth between the hooks, the tarp flyz, or a combination of both. I guess the low weight, and the idea of using them with knots seemed like a good compromise. Unfortunately, it might be several months before I find out how hard they’ll be to use with cold hands. I might have to try out something else.

Yes, Eclectic, tarp skins are on the to-do list after the last outing. I was generously gifted 3yds of bug netting from RBTR after an order mistake, so all I have to do is get started on them. From what I’ve read on here, it seems that most people start with a 2 piece and end up liking a 1 piece, for some reason or other, so I’m going to see if I can jump ahead of the learning curve for that one. I know I’ll have to add some length to the 3yds of netting, but I’m planning to try the 1 piece first. Worst case scenario, I decide I want 2 pieces and have to chop it in half.

Hammock
    Little Shop of Hammocks
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Suspension
    J Bend
    Quote Originally Posted by Clisbyclark View Post
    I have the mini evos from Jeff Meyers that I like-except when it's really cold. Like Otter says, they are difficult to use in cold weather so when it gets cold I add a mini-biner which is a lot easier with numb hands.
    I agree. I had Dutch hooks. Their size is their biggest advantage and disadvantage- they were too small for me to really want to use.

I also switched to mini evoloops and prusiks. Just thru and over the mini evoloops and you’re connected.
    Last edited by KingMob; 04-09-2021 at 08:21.

Hammock
    Little Shop of Hammocks
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Suspension
    J Bend
    Quote Originally Posted by AmberG View Post
    Up until now, I’ve been hardware free, almost stubbornly so. I looked at Evo loops, but they didn’t look like they’d be much easier than soft shackles, although I could be wrong.

I started with soft shackles prusiked to my ridge line, thinking I could simply open them, connect my tarps d ring, and connect them. I was using the ones Meyers sells. I found that the process of opening and closing them was again too fine a process, so I left them on my ridge line and just added the minievoloops to my D rings and connect the soft link between the two. It’s easier to do when cold, dark, I’m in a hurry, I’m tired, or I’m grumpy.

That said, I was looking for a method that would work well for not only me, but also my partner and our kids. I needed something that was easy and could be relatively intuitive, where I didn’t have to teach them a ton of knots. So that was the criteria I was using to make my decision. If I was just making one set up, just for me, I would likely have chosen something else.

As for snakeskins, I have a one piece, with a pocket sewn into it that holds my ridge line
    Last edited by KingMob; 04-09-2021 at 08:32.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Here's how I attach tarp to CRL. Just need a cord that is good for knots... not Zing-it, etc. (I'm sure some folks are getting tired of my ad nauseum repetition... I like 2mm Lawson Glowire and Guywire.)

Some people report having success with Zing-it and Prusiks but that is only with 4 or 5 wraps. I tested this and my experience is that yes it holds, but it then has too much 'bite' in order to get ample grip, and as a result is harder to release and slide to a different location on the CRL.

Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast