Hammock
    1.0 HyperD DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware DCF
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Straps
    I DID make a couple more continuous zing-it loops for prusik ‘pull handles’ though...

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    Hopefully, Eagle Rock Loop it won't be as crowded for you as it was for me in March. But I'd say, don't count on it. It seems crowded everywhere.

This was the parking area nearest Winding Stairs... when I got there, I had to park on the road because the entire lot was full. When I got back to the car, the lot was still full, with cars lined up as far down the road as I could see. It's still a fun hike though.

Have a good time AmberG!!

Hammock
    1.0 HyperD DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware DCF
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Thanks! I forgot you were from ‘round these parts.’ I’ve actually been to ‘the loop’ 4-6 times, just never hiked farther than the gap between FR106 and Albert Pike. I was either just out there to look around, test gear, or I just decided it was too darned cold! This time, I intend to do the loop.

Hammock
    1.0 HyperD DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware DCF
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Straps
    And that pic is pretty scary! Isn’t there a whole lot to the left of where the photo was taken?! I’ve seen it full, but not THAT full!

Quote Originally Posted by AmberG View Post
    Well, I’m really hoping this works for me right now. I decided to get the snakeskins made before I string it all up. But I’ve been working on button knots all afternoon and still can’t get the ‘hang’ of them. I might have to buy some darn evo-loops if I want to play around with them.
    the button knot can be tricky at first, but once you figure out the topology it's quite easy to tie. i had some trouble at first too, mainly due to confusing instructions (i even figured out how to make it "wrongly", and had to unlearn it and learn again).

i recall this video was the best i found at the time (and probably the one that saved my sanity). the channel is pretty great too on a side note, for anyone interested in splicing and rigging (they actually test stuff properly)

hope it helps

Hammock
    1.0 HyperD DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware DCF
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Thanks, nanok! I’ll watch it. I think I got it right once with different colors. It’s the very last step I’m having issues with - everything else is pretty straight forward. I found pretty good instructions on a sailing website, and Jeff Meyer’s video helped a lot. I’ll give this video a look and practice some more.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AmberG View Post
    Thanks! I forgot you were from ‘round these parts.’ I’ve actually been to ‘the loop’ 4-6 times, just never hiked farther than the gap between FR106 and Albert Pike. I was either just out there to look around, test gear, or I just decided it was too darned cold! This time, I intend to do the loop.
    Good for you! Be prepared for the Athens Big Fork trail... whether you hike the Loop clockwise or counterclockwise, it's quite a workout! I prefer counterclockwise. 😬

Hammock
    1.0 HyperD DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware DCF
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Right. That might be why I’ve always chickened out. I was going to look at the weather and water levels before I go, then pick a direction. I’ll keep counterclockwise in mind, for sure!

Hammock
    1.0 HyperD DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware DCF
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Straps
    I think I’m ready for the ABF now. After all, I have hiked the whole OT...

Hammock
    1.0 HyperD DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware DCF
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Straps
    I finally got the snakeskin finished and got everything set up, patched up the tarp, yada yada, and initial impressions? I liked it. It took me a second to get the prusiks to bite good, but I added the grab handles - Jeff Meyers style - so I’m not too worried about adjusting them. I thought I might want to pry the Dutch clips holding the tarp a little, so they don’t take as much to undo, but if I leave the tarp on the ridgeline, it shouldn’t be a problem. I might do it with the non-adjustable side for ease of disconnect.

The only thing I can see giving me issues is the prusik at the adjustable end. It just seems like a tarp flyz or a truckers hitch would work better. I don’t CRANK it, but it was loose enough that I could see it being an issue in wind. I also think I might’ve made the ridgeline too long. I made it 35 feet, after reading 30-40ft was average, but I had a ton of leftover line, pitching in the backyard. I’ll give it a few trips before I decide to trim it, though.

The snakeskin was pretty cool. I made that way too long, also, so I have a bit of hemming to do after I snipped off the excess. I’m sure it’d be funny to watch me folding this 11’ tarp, so rolling it in the snakeskin is definitely more elegant, if nothing else

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast