Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Currently blackbird xlc
    Tarp
    Superfly

Fly fishing and hammock friendly suggestions?

Hi all

It’s definitely been a long year for me and I’m able to take a bit of an extended (3-4 weeks?) trip out west. I’m not trying to get anyone’s secret spots but if you have any recommendations for a place to unwind, camp without swarms of others around, and maybe do a bit of fishing, I would certainly welcome them. In terms of where... I’ll be road tripping with my dog from Pittsburgh in June and ending in Colorado in July, before heading back to the Burgh in late July.

I’m starting to narrow it down but I’d appreciate any suggestions. Right now I’m thinking areas in Colorado, Wyoming, Idaho, and Montana. I did a long motorcycle trip about 5 years ago and those were some of my favorite areas. Although if you have a great suggestion, by all means don’t feel constrained. I’m curious what you throw out there.

Many thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images
    Solitude and Serenity

Over a million acres of wilderness. Bob Marshall Wilderness

Last edited by joe_guilbeau; 04-09-2021 at 09:34.

Hammock
    Mantis UL
    Tarp
    Mantis Rainfly
    Suspension
    Python 10 UL
    Are you talking car camping, or backpacking?

Wind River Range is where I learned to fly fish and I would recommend it. Skeeters can be pretty bad during that time frame, but I think you'll find that to be the case throughout the Rockies. It really depends on timing and snowmelt conditions, etc.

Hammock
    Currently blackbird xlc
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by tegwar View Post
    Good question. I should have clarified. Mostly car camping. I hope to do a bit of backpacking and using the car as a base, but probably no more than a few days at a time. I was thinking about BLM disbursed car camping, but will see. My pup is coming with me and he might limit the per-day distance in terms of hiking (he's a newfoundland).

Hammock
    Currently blackbird xlc
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_guilbeau View Post
    Solitude and Serenity

Over a million acres of wilderness. Bob Marshall Wilderness

Looks beautiful. Thanks!

Hammock
    Currently blackbird xlc
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Wind River Range is where I learned to fly fish and I would recommend it. Skeeters can be pretty bad during that time frame, but I think you'll find that to be the case throughout the Rockies. It really depends on timing and snowmelt conditions, etc.
    Thanks for the recommendation! I’ll check it out

Images
    If you are strictly car camping, then the solitude is not so much, however Steamboat Springs in the North West corner of Colorado would be a prime location;

The Uintas in Idaho as are a-hop-skip-and-a-jump away.

https://www.flyfisherman.com/editori...untains/152038

Hammock
    Currently blackbird xlc
    Tarp
    Superfly

Tegwar did you need waders when you went fishing in the Winds? I’m trying to sort out my gear and what I’ll need to take. I plan on using the car as a basecamp and hiking in for 3-4 days at a time.

Hammock
    Mantis UL
    Tarp
    Mantis Rainfly
    Suspension
    Python 10 UL
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasper View Post
    Tegwar did you need waders when you went fishing in the Winds? I’m trying to sort out my gear and what I’ll need to take. I plan on using the car as a basecamp and hiking in for 3-4 days at a time.
    No, I didn't. I only use waders from my vehicle; I would never carry that much weight in my pack.

I only fished lakes, but another guy was hitting small streams on the way up with terrestrial patterns as we hiked and catching/releasing lots of small fish. Once up to timberline and above, we just cast from shore in the many lakes. It was a great location to learn, because once the bite is on they will go for pretty much anything you put near them. The most difficult part for me was pausing to set the hook.

You didn't ask, but my favorite way to prepare them is with a little shortening and some lemon pepper (away from your sleeping area!).

Hammock
    Currently blackbird xlc
    Tarp
    Superfly
    No, I didn't. I only use waders from my vehicle; I would never carry that much weight in my pack.

You didn't ask, but my favorite way to prepare them is with a little shortening and some lemon pepper (away from your sleeping area!).
    Good to hear. I was thinking true same. I’ve been in some areas where if you didn’t have waders it wasn’t even worth bringing your rod. But I *really* don’t want to carry all of that extra weight.

Now the dilemma is which hammock to bring. I really picked the wrong time to pick up two new hammocks to check out. Right now there’s a clear winner but haven’t done any backpacking with it.

And thanks for the the recipe heads up. Wasn’t planning on bringing shortening but if I catch any near the my car I’ll probably have some.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast