Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    Nanok, you’ve given a lot of thought towards improving suspensions and ridgelines for hammocks and tarps.
    Even though I’ve failed to add photos to my descriptions of various efforts, I am better able to see your ideas when you have photos or videos.
    I’ve been shown how to add photos and am too lazy to learn.
    i try to do my best to make my thoughts understandable to others, i'm glad if it helps some, but i know i can do a lot better, so i try to learn based on the feedback i get.

If I have an eye splice with a long bury, a foot long, I can tie an overhand knot in middle of bury.
    Once tightened, the overhand knot STOPS the eye splice from getting larger or smaller.
    Too bad, overhand knot makes a bump.
    I use 1/8 amsteel, the splice has two ropes of 1/8 amsteel, one inside the other. Even though, knots weaken rope, I don’t think it will break while hammock camping, or even a few bounces will be ok
    Destructive testing is another story. The overhand knot will weaken the splice. Probably not enough to cause me any worry.
    that's all true, and it's clear 1/8in (3mm) is way overbuilt, in dyneema, for a hammock ridgeline. but then what's the point of making a splice with a long bury in the first place? you could get away just as well (or badly) with just the knot and maybe a short bury of the tail, to keep things neat and avoid fraying?
    edit: for instance, the water bowline is known to not slip in dyneema, and retains about 50% line strength (which is about as good as it gets with knots in dyneema, and likely no worse than an overhand. this way you keep the bump the knot makes, but at least you don't need the long bury, so it will be more compact. with a short bury it might even prove a bit stronger than the known tests (i don't know of anybody testing knots in dyneema with the tail buried)

Phantom off on a tangent....
    Suppose you have a UCR utility constrictor rope,
    or a whoopie sling—and either one was slipping when loaded.
    A temporary fix could be, tie a marlin spike hitch in middle of either UCR or whoopie spliced bury.
    My Phantom sense tells me, marlin spike hitch would stop splice from slipping, just like my overhand knot stops eye splice from getting larger or smaller. Not sure.
    This fix could be good till you get back home and make splice longer, or with less slick rope.
    a marline spike hitch would definitely stop the slipping (of a "reasonably" sized splice), in fact, typically you don't even need a knot or hitch: if you have anything you can use to force the splice of the ucr or whoopie to not be straight, even slightly bend it in a few places, that's often enough to stop it from slipping, as long as the splice is not absurdly short of course. for instance, if you have an s binner handy, you might just use that clipping it so the splice is forced to go through one eye, past the middle split, and then through the other eye, and that might well be enough (of course, the s binner will slide down once the hammock is unloaded, so not an ideal solution, just an example of what would be enough to stop the slipping)
    Last edited by nanok; 05-02-2021 at 04:04.

Hammock
    WBBB DL + 7 others
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    LocoLibre TQ0 UQ0
    Suspension
    15'Kevlar3.3J-bend
    I find these hard to beat. I have 3, and can move them from one hammock to another easily. Better than a typical whoopie, IMO. Designed to be a ridgeline only. Jeff Myers.

Hammock ridgeline adjustable tailless whoopie sling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pL-08sWFqEY

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284055286574

76" to 139" and anything in between.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Gee whiz, I have not found passing braided dyneema through itself and then burying the end not all that difficult if it is of sufficient diameter to work with. An adjustable whoopie ridge line isn't an insurmountable task, even for an old fellow.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12