Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Big and tall hammock

Hey all,
    I'm interested in getting a hammock, but i have 2 concerns.
    1. I'm 6' 5" , and i weigh about 380. I'm looking for a heavy duty hammock, with bug protection. I know of some of the companies, like warbonnet, kammack, eno. Warbonnet seems to be the only one I've seen so far with a bug net.
    Im looking for insight from other big people, on what's a good big and tall hammock.

2. I've never used a hammock before. I've seen some horror stories online, people getting injured. Is this an actual big concern, or just a few stupid people, or what? What are the safety issues?

Steve

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Nick, welcome to Hammock Forums, lots of hammock campers here, both in your woods and worldwide.
    You might choose a gathered end hammock 12 feet long by 6 feet wide.
    Your vendor might recommend a double layer hammock, as well as fabrics that are within a safety margin of between five to one and ten to one weight rating.
    Ditto for suspensions.

Trees and tree spacing are important to all of us.
    Choose healthy living trees. I choose trees that are as big around as my thigh at chest height.

I choose trees that are around 15 feet apart.
    If trees are spaced 20 feet apart and more, there can be problems with angle of hang.
    If trees are a long way apart, there can be problems with hang angle. A 30* hang angle is safest.

Many hammock campers here with more specific information. Good morning, spring is here!

Hammock
    DreamHammock Sparrow Symmetrical
    Tarp
    DD XL with doors
    Insulation
    SMR inferno UQ
    Suspension
    Daisy Chains
    Images
    Welcome,
    I am 6'1" @310 lbs. I have a Dream Hammock 11 ft wide as possible (around 70"). Get a double layer or reach out to papasmurf (Randy @ dreamhammocks)and he will help you out.
    Jared from Simply Light Design can also accomodate double layer long and wide hammocks

Both can be made with integrated or removeable bug nets
    Dave

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair 12’
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dynaweb
    Jared at SimplyLightDesigns will hook you up.
    I’m 6’5” and 240 and use a trail lair 12’ in mtn1.7 wide, has an integrated bug net.
    I’d think a double layer of a similar fabric in a 12’ trail lair will be spot on....

Besides Warbonnet and SLD, you might want to look at Dream Hammocks and Dutchware. Others too. The vendors that are popular here all offer great products.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Im 6'4" 230 lbs. as a side sleeper the only hammock that Ive had good sleep in is a big guy bridge hammock made by Bill Townsend . Not cheap, not ultralight but its a great hammock for guys our size!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Nick21, Looks like this is your first post. Welcome to the Forum.

The largest hammock I have is a Camper XL from BIAS hammocks. I’m sure it would handle your height but you’d have to check with them on the weight. I have it in case I have to demo to a tall person but I may sell it as it spends most it’s life in a gear box.

Understand that your height/weight puts you outside the norm - not that there is anything wrong with that. It’s just that most hammocks you read about will be designed around a 250 lbs top weight and the short side of 6’ or less. The good news is, there are large hammocks out there. Like something that is 12 ft long instead of 11. But do pay attention to weight limits. Remember it’s a “system”, not just one piece. You have the hammock material, the stitching, the suspension line/hardware, and the anchor points.

Do know that sleeping in a hammock is different from a bed or on the ground tent camping. As such, it will take a little getting use to. Once you get a hammock, if you can set it up at home, you can learn what sag and body orientation works best for you. And your body will learn that it can relax in a hammock differently than a bed. For example, some who are dedicated side sleepers in a bed, are comfortable on their backs in a hammock.

** Sag is the “banana” shape of the hammock. A hammock is usually suspended such that the distance between the ends is around 83%-86% of the total hammock length. So if you have an 11 ft hammock, 83% sag (11 x .83) means the hammock is set up so it’s ends are a touch more than 9 ft apart. This sag is also the result of having your suspension lines coming off the three at a 30 degree angle (or 60 degrees depending upon which of the two you are measuring). As your support trees get further apart, you have to attach your suspension higher to keep the desired angle. At 6+’ ft tall, you probably won’t have an issue with that.

You get flat in a hammock by angling your body diagonally, NOT by suspending your hammock straight across tight. If you have a friend hold a handkerchief gathered at the ends like a hammock, and you put a short pencil it in representing a person. you can see that putting it in parallel could give a banana shape many non-hammockers think it’s like. But if you angle the pencil diagonally, you’ll see the fabric flattens out a bit. So it’s that slight angle and sag, NOT a tight hammock, that provides comfort.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 04-07-2021 at 13:02.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Eno
    Hey Nickto21,I'm Adam. My height is 6.4 feet and my weight is near 350 lbs. I used Kinfayv Camping Hammock which is very much capable to hold my height and weight. And more like, that hammock comes with rain fly and mosquito net.So, I think you can rely on this good combo to avoid your problems.

Hammock
    Eno
    For selecting the suitable hammock for the fat or big guys, you need to consider mainly 2 factors.

1. Length and Width: Usually big people need more longer and wider hammock. For them, a more than 9 feet long and 6 feet width camping hammock will be perfect.
    2. Weight Holding Capacity: That also more important. A sturdy and huge weight holding capacitor can be an option in this regard. 400 to 1000 eight bearing hammock is also found on the market. If your weight is more than 250 pounds then try to choose the hammock where the capability is from 400+ pounds.

As you are 6.5 feet in height then 9.5ft+ length and 6.5 ft width will be the safer option. and for the 380 pounds weight, make sure that the hammock has 500+ weight capacity. Along with your weight and height, to protect you from bug and rain, Kinfayv Hammock stands as best.
    And, you will find many brands that fulfill your criteria. personally, I like legit double hammock more. But, Wise Owl, WINNER OUTFITTERS, Gold Armour, and so on hammock brands are also excellent that you can choose. By the way, to know more info about big guy camping hammock, you can check this write.
    https://www.travelersdoor.com/best-c...-for-big-guys/

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    I’m 5’8” and 185.
    My opinion only...
    Big and Tall hammock campers can benefit from hammocks at least 11 feet long.
    Possible benefits from wider hammocks somewhere between 5 feet and 6 feet wide.

My hammock is 12x6, very comfortable to me.

But there is a point of diminishing returns for excess width over 5 feet wide.
    Probably can get as comfortable in a hammock 5’6” wide as a hammock 6’ wide.

Tall hammock campers might want to try a 12 foot hammock that is five foot six inches wide.
    This will help achieve a diagonal lay that is as flat as a recliner that lays all way back.

Most hammock campers, that have tried shorter hammocks 8 feet to 9 feet range...end up sleeping in a banana shape! Ditto for tall guys!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast