Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Chameleon!
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly!

Dutchware CRL Snapped :(

I ordered the tarp pole mods from Autumn Ultralight, I don't know anything about DIY rope stuff and don't have time to learn at the moment so I'm happy she's making these. I attached them to my Thunderfly tarp then looped them to my trekking poles. I first tensioned them until I felt the first hint of resistance, and standing under the tarp didn't notice much of a difference. So then I pulled them tight, the same as with my guylines, and while tightening the last of the 4 ropes my tarp ridgeline snapped in two.

Obviously I shouldn't have tightened them this tight, but I thought the ridgeline would have more tensile strength than it did to break like that. Still confused as to whether I added pressure somewhere else that caused the failure. I'm not a knot expert, so I watched a video of a double-fisherman's knot and used that to tie the ridgeline back together. I'm not sure how much that weakens the tensile strength and if that would hold under pressure in a storm, but it seemed fine and didn't slip for a day in my backyard. I'm worried that I possibly damaged the tarp by pulling on the panel pulls too much as well. So I've attached some photos of the setup and my knot to get some feedback on what happened. Any and all comments appreciated, thank you!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I don't understand what's going on because the material in the pic depicting the cord tied together with double fisherman's bend does not look at all like Amsteel or any other Dyneema type product.

Looks like some cheap wound (not braided) polyester of the type that Dutch doesn't sell. Hmm...
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DH Darien / WBBB
    Tarp
    HEX Asym / Minifly
    Insulation
    HG Econ 40
    Suspension
    Beetle/ Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Looks like some cheap wound (not braided) polyester of the type that Dutch doesn't sell. Hmm...
    I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I agree too (except that the cheap stuff appears to be braided! )

Hammock
    Chameleon!
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly!
    Um... are you all implying that I'm lying about the source of my ridgeline? It is 1.75mm blue Zing-It as listed on the page I bought it from... https://dutchwaregear.com/product/co...type-and-color

Regardless, totally unhelpful so thanks a lot.

I don't think anyone believes that you are lying. It's just that the cordage doesn't look right. Not sure why that would be. I guess the various fraying is all a part of the overall failure. More often than not, failures seem to happen near splices, knots, or where a sharp bend occurs.

I'm guessing Dutch might just have a look here at some point...
    Last edited by TominMN; 04-05-2021 at 14:47.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    No offense, but it just didn't look like the same stuff since it's backlit in the knot photo. Per TominMN, when I zoom in it does appear to be braided.

Of course it can break. It has a breaking strength of about 500 lbs, so if it's strung up very tightly (pre-loaded) and then side-loaded it could, and apparently has, exceeded is break strength. Also, when the wind blows it can cause one tree to move away from the other and put more stress on the ridgeline.

As with many things, this is why it's best not to tie ridge and guy lines banjo-string tight. Similar to torque wrenches for mechanics, things are not always best when cranked to the max!
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB minifly
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    buckles
    The double fisherman's knot repair is good, but doesn't look overly tight - the knots aren't even snugged up against each other. If that's how tight the original set up was, makes me wonder if there was a manufacturing defect in the line. It happens. 500 pounds is a lot of tension to achieve without some mechanical advantage, and I don't see any hardware that would get you there. Everything looks taut, but nothing looks like it's trying to bear that kind of load.

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Are you using any titanium (or other metal) hardware on your ridgeline?

And since it's unclear from your pictures, where on the line did it break? Right in the middle not near anything, or was it close to any attachment points, knots, where your poles were laying across the line, etc.?

While it's difficult to tell, the edges of line in the picture of your knot almost look both frayed and more clean cut at the same time. Could just be the picture though. I'm wondering whether something may have accidentally sliced the line partially (hence the cleaner looking fibers), and then when tensioned it ripped through the remaining portion of the line which was now significantly weakened due to a partial cut.

Sometimes metal hardware like Wasps, Flyz, etc. can have some sharp burrs remaining from the manufacturing process - often in the 'antennae' area where you lock the line after tightening - which could potentially slice into the line, which is why I ask.

It's Dutch's CRL with a Dutch Hook and a Wasp (as per the OP) so, yes, there is hardware and mechanical advantage at play here.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast