Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hammock
    Chameleon!
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly!

Dutchware CRL Snapped :(

I ordered the tarp pole mods from Autumn Ultralight, I don't know anything about DIY rope stuff and don't have time to learn at the moment so I'm happy she's making these. I attached them to my Thunderfly tarp then looped them to my trekking poles. I first tensioned them until I felt the first hint of resistance, and standing under the tarp didn't notice much of a difference. So then I pulled them tight, the same as with my guylines, and while tightening the last of the 4 ropes my tarp ridgeline snapped in two.

Obviously I shouldn't have tightened them this tight, but I thought the ridgeline would have more tensile strength than it did to break like that. Still confused as to whether I added pressure somewhere else that caused the failure. I'm not a knot expert, so I watched a video of a double-fisherman's knot and used that to tie the ridgeline back together. I'm not sure how much that weakens the tensile strength and if that would hold under pressure in a storm, but it seemed fine and didn't slip for a day in my backyard. I'm worried that I possibly damaged the tarp by pulling on the panel pulls too much as well. So I've attached some photos of the setup and my knot to get some feedback on what happened. Any and all comments appreciated, thank you!
    Attached Images Attached Images

• + New Posts