DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    It's Dutch's CRL with a Dutch Hook and a Wasp (as per the OP) so, yes, there is hardware and mechanical advantage at play here.
    Ah, got it. I didn't follow the link, so I wasn't certain.

I know that I got a Wasp in the past that had a metal burr in the wing area that was almost like a thin razor. Easily fixed with a bit of sandpaper and 10 minutes or so of work, but if I hadn't seen it and had tried to lock my line in there, I'm fairly confident that it could have sliced the zing-it most of the way through.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Stuff happens, at least you got to tie some knots. You’ll be back in business in no time!

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Zooming in, I think that's the Blue Reflect It...that gray/black strand is the reflective strand. According to Dutch's site, breaking strength is 400 lbs. Still plenty strong...either a defect or a nick that weakened it. Was it windy, with the trees swaying a bit? Maybe tree movement did it in.

Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    Zooming in, I think that's the Blue Reflect It...that gray/black strand is the reflective strand. According to Dutch's site, breaking strength is 400 lbs. Still plenty strong...either a defect or a nick that weakened it. Was it windy, with the trees swaying a bit? Maybe tree movement did it in.
    Ah! Now that makes sense. It just didn't look quite like Zing-It. Not "cheap", just different.

Hammock
    SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Operator, Habanero
    Suspension
    Turtles, Whoopies
    Getting the right tarp tension takes some fiddling until you figure it out in my experience. It's easy to crank something down as much as you can, but that's usually not good for the tarp or your protection. I find if I crank down to much on my corners, it'll deform the tarp. As others have mentioned, bow string tight is not the way to go. I usually go until I would describe it as "snug, but bouncy".

Tree movement as others have said can easily snap a tight RL by exerting a huge amount of force suddenly.

Good luck!

Hammock
    Chameleon!
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly!
    Quote Originally Posted by silentorpheus View Post
    Are you using any titanium (or other metal) hardware on your ridgeline?

And since it's unclear from your pictures, where on the line did it break? Right in the middle not near anything, or was it close to any attachment points, knots, where your poles were laying across the line, etc.?

While it's difficult to tell, the edges of line in the picture of your knot almost look both frayed and more clean cut at the same time. Could just be the picture though. I'm wondering whether something may have accidentally sliced the line partially (hence the cleaner looking fibers), and then when tensioned it ripped through the remaining portion of the line which was now significantly weakened due to a partial cut.

Sometimes metal hardware like Wasps, Flyz, etc. can have some sharp burrs remaining from the manufacturing process - often in the 'antennae' area where you lock the line after tightening - which could potentially slice into the line, which is why I ask.
    I don't have time to respond to everyone right now, thanks for the helpful comments though! I had no clue I wasn't supposed to tighten my tarp lines to the max, now I'm worried I've damaged a new tarp I've only used camping once...

To answer the above question- The line snapped almost exactly between the wasp and prussik so about 6" from the wasp so I don't think the hardware caused it...but maybe I had the wasp at that location previously. And no, it wasn't windy at all.

Hammock
    Dutch Wide 11', H.H.
    Tarp
    Superfly, Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Incubator 0, Jarbr
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Unsure about dutches tarps but on my superfly he has little rings on the ridge line tie outs that let go before the tarp gets destroyed
    I have 2 let go in extreme conditions

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by sangfroid3 View Post
    I don't have time to respond to everyone right now, thanks for the helpful comments though! I had no clue I wasn't supposed to tighten my tarp lines to the max, now I'm worried I've damaged a new tarp I've only used camping once...

To answer the above question- The line snapped almost exactly between the wasp and prussik so about 6" from the wasp so I don't think the hardware caused it...but maybe I had the wasp at that location previously. And no, it wasn't windy at all.
    Because you're using a CRL and your tarp is connected to that ridgeline via prussiks, cranking the ridgeline super tight between the two trees doesn't necessarily mean you're over tightening your tarp itself, per se. Plus it looks like you've got a Warbonnet tarp and they use a grosgrain ridgeline, which can likely stand up to being tightened a bit more than a regular sewn seam joining two pieces of silnylon. So I wouldn't worry too much about whether or not you did any major damage to your tarp, though a good inspection at all the connection points where lines connect wouldn't hurt.

Hammock
    Chameleon!
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly!
    Quote Originally Posted by silentorpheus View Post
    Because you're using a CRL and your tarp is connected to that ridgeline via prussiks, cranking the ridgeline super tight between the two trees doesn't necessarily mean you're over tightening your tarp itself, per se. Plus it looks like you've got a Warbonnet tarp and they use a grosgrain ridgeline, which can likely stand up to being tightened a bit more than a regular sewn seam joining two pieces of silnylon. So I wouldn't worry too much about whether or not you did any major damage to your tarp, though a good inspection at all the connection points where lines connect wouldn't hurt.
    That's super encouraging thanks. It is indeed a Thunderfly so good to know the ridgeline probably didn't sustain damage. One thing though- If I tensioned those lines too much enough to snap the ridgeline, doesn't that mean I put too much strain on the pull-outs?

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by sangfroid3 View Post
    That's super encouraging thanks. It is indeed a Thunderfly so good to know the ridgeline probably didn't sustain damage. One thing though- If I tensioned those lines too much enough to snap the ridgeline, doesn't that mean I put too much strain on the pull-outs?
    The best way to be sure is to take a good look at them. Unless they've drastically changed how they construct tarps, Warbonnet uses grosgrain loops for the side pull outs and the guy-out points. So give them a good inspection, and see if there's any tearing, stretching, or deformation in the stitching or surrounding reinforcement areas. If not, you should probably be fine.

I'm by no means an expert, and I'll happily defer to the wisdom of any that know more than I, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest that the likelihood that you put enough force/strain on the ridgeline to max out its working load and snap it because of that is doubtful. While it's technically possible, I'd think that there would be multiple other elements (hiking poles bending, prussiks slipping, splits rings letting go, stakes pulling out, etc.) that may have given out before you maxed the load limit on the zing it.

It's more likely that there was some sort of defect or damage to the line that you didn't see and weren't aware of, which created a weak spot, and that was the fail point. But that's just a semi-educated guess.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12