1.0 HyperD DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware DCF
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Straps

Finishing up the Ouachita Trail

I hiked 10 miles of the 223 mile OT in June last year, then did the rest of it in October, except for the first 2.4 miles. Don’t ask - let’s just say I’m a procrastinator, got there late, and couldn’t stomach the idea of showing up to a state park campground at almost midnight. So, after more procrastinating, I’m heading out today to knock out those 2.4 miles.

It’s annoying to keep telling people that I’ve hiked the whole OT - except for 2 miles of it. I even made the 3 hour drive a couple of months ago, intending to do it, but I woke up the next morning and just wasn’t feeling it. But darnit, it’s happening this time! I will NOT make another wasted drive, and by tomorrow evening, I WILL have hiked the WHOLE trail. Just not looking forward to the climb. It looks brutal. Wish me luck.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    Good luck... hope you make it!

The Ouachita Trail is on my list to do one of these days... a retirement 'bucket list' thing.

Hammock
    1.0 HyperD DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware DCF
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Thank you! The 220 miles I HAVE hiked are nice, just make sure you hike after they’ve done trail maintenance. I learned that one the hard way. I’m going to camp farther from the car this time - reduce the temptation to go back. I’m not planning to have to drive 3 hours for 2 miles again!

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AmberG View Post
    I hiked 10 miles of the 223 mile OT in June last year, then did the rest of it in October, except for the first 2.4 miles. Don’t ask - let’s just say I’m a procrastinator, got there late, and couldn’t stomach the idea of showing up to a state park campground at almost midnight. So, after more procrastinating, I’m heading out today to knock out those 2.4 miles.

It’s annoying to keep telling people that I’ve hiked the whole OT - except for 2 miles of it. I even made the 3 hour drive a couple of months ago, intending to do it, but I woke up the next morning and just wasn’t feeling it. But darnit, it’s happening this time! I will NOT make another wasted drive, and by tomorrow evening, I WILL have hiked the WHOLE trail. Just not looking forward to the climb. It looks brutal. Wish me luck.
    I'm a little OCD like that.

I'm always saying I've hiked every inch of Harriman State Park — and I have hiked all the major trails multiple times — but there's the occasional little snippet or connector trail that I've missed so I like to tick those off as well. Sunday I did a loop with a couple of those small bits.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Operator, Habanero
    Suspension
    Turtles, Whoopies
    Good luck!

Hammock
    1.0 HyperD DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware DCF
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Thank you! A mile from the end last year, a member of the committee reminded me that I could send off for a free patch, saying I’d hiked the whole trail. He said he doubted anyone would begrudge me of 2 miles, but it just felt...wrong! Tomorrow night, I can send off for the patch.

On the bright side, the warmer temps mean less stuff - my pack doesn’t know what to make of the 11.4lbs of stuff inside! It’s insisting that I’m forgetting things. Well, I’m off!

Hammock
    1.0 HyperD DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware DCF
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Straps

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Congrats and kudos!
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts