HG Dyneema tarp is great!

Been a while since I was on here, but been sleeping in a hammock non stop. Just not writing about it. I recently bought a hex tarp from HG, and it is my first dyneema tarp. Was a bit apprehensive at first, as I've only ever used cuben fiber in stuff sacks and things like that. I went with the camo version in order to block more light, and it has worked out great all around. Not only is it spacious and protective, but where our sil nylon tarps held some water and were fairly wet in the morning, the CF was totally dry. Can't wait to use it more and I wish I had pulled the trigger sooner on one.

Question for all you dyneema tarp users. Is there a particular way you like to stow it that you have found to work best for easy setup and breakdown? My understanding is that you should not stuff it, but rather fold it. I'm sure I can play with it and come up with something, but putting it away this morning in a brisk wind killed that opportunity.

Also, I have always used a CRL with my other tarps. This one has linelocs on it and so I tried just tying off to each of them. Worked very well, but we had no weather to speak of. I'm not crazy about using lineloc's on the RL, and would prefer to add a bit of shock cord, but I'm not sure if there is a best way to do that. Why reinvent the wheel, lol.

Thanks!

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty, Astd. Dutch
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex, TF
    Insulation
    HG,WLSS,JrB,UGQ,LL
    Suspension
    LW straps/Becket
    Every morning when packing the tarp I begin by rolling up the sides from the bottom towards the ridge. The lines are rolled up with the tarp which helps with tangling. When I get the tarp rolled up to the ridgeline, I stow it inside the HG one piece mesh skin. Then I just fold it up starting in about five inch sections. Of course the sections get bigger with each successive roll. Once rolled up, I put it back in the DCF sack it came in. Everyone has a different method but that one works for me. As you said, the DCF hex is a great tarp. I don't carry it if I'm certain the weather is going to be rough but I've been in a few storms in it and came out fine. I just like how simple the tarp is.

Hammock
    SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Operator, Habanero
    Suspension
    Turtles, Whoopies
    Yeah, I’ve always found the LineLocs on the RL an odd choice to be offered by HG. I know I’ve seen ones for sale Used that have had the use D rings on the RL and LineLocs on the corners.

You could always throw a loop of shock cord through the grosgrain on the RL and see which way you like more. If you don’t want the LLs, just snip the off. Make sure you’re ready to do that though as there’s no turning back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Clisbyclark View Post
    Every morning when packing the tarp I begin by rolling up the sides from the bottom towards the ridge. The lines are rolled up with the tarp which helps with tangling. When I get the tarp rolled up to the ridgeline, I stow it inside the HG one piece mesh skin. Then I just fold it up starting in about five inch sections. Of course the sections get bigger with each successive roll. Once rolled up, I put it back in the DCF sack it came in. Everyone has a different method but that one works for me. As you said, the DCF hex is a great tarp. I don't carry it if I'm certain the weather is going to be rough but I've been in a few storms in it and came out fine. I just like how simple the tarp is.
    That sounds like good way to go, especially in wind. It is very similar to how I use my silnylon tarps, but instead of a mesh skin I use two loops of shockcord and then just stuff it in from one end. Like I said, my big concern was stuffing vs. folding/rolling, and it sounds like you have had good luck rolling and folding.

Quote Originally Posted by grimm0614 View Post
    Yeah, I’ve always found the LineLocs on the RL an odd choice to be offered by HG. I know I’ve seen ones for sale Used that have had the use D rings on the RL and LineLocs on the corners.

You could always throw a loop of shock cord through the grosgrain on the RL and see which way you like more. If you don’t want the LLs, just snip the off. Make sure you’re ready to do that though as there’s no turning back.

If I went that route, I would have to go back to a CRL, which would not be a bad thing...

Hammock
    SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Operator, Habanero
    Suspension
    Turtles, Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by SLG45 View Post
    If I went that route, I would have to go back to a CRL, which would not be a bad thing...
    Right. With dyneema, I actually think a CRL with shockcord makes a lot of sense since it doesn’t stretch like sil. SRL with sil is my preference still.

Quote Originally Posted by grimm0614 View Post
    Right. With dyneema, I actually think a CRL with shockcord makes a lot of sense since it doesn’t stretch like sil. SRL with sil is my preference still.

You don't have a pic of your setup, by chance? I'm pretty sure I'm thinking of this correctly, but first dyneema tarp and all...lol.

Hammock
    SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Operator, Habanero
    Suspension
    Turtles, Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by SLG45 View Post
    You don't have a pic of your setup, by chance? I'm pretty sure I'm thinking of this correctly, but first dyneema tarp and all...lol.
    I don’t unfortunately, but this post talks about it. https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-to-ridge-line

Basically since the dyneema doesn’t stretch like sil, a small loop of shock cord attached to the RL tie outs allows a bit of give under heavy loads (such as high winds).

I will say that this is more of a better safe than sorry kind of thing. HG tarps are built well and I would think under normal use, you would be fine using a CRL or SRL without shock cord and there would be no damage to the tarp.

Thanks for the link! Sounds like the jury is out on whether dyneema needs shock absorption or not.

• + New Posts