Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    HG incubators and
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Why a 13'. The 11' covers the RR just fine.
    I like my tarps with doors and I can't shut them on my 11' palace because of the suspension system.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    HG incubators and
    Had my first night out last night on trail. Staked out the Palace in double porch mode. Attached my zero degree incubator and added a zlite between the layers. Low was 27F. Stayed warm, except my feet for some reason, maybe because with my gathered end hammocks the underquilt wraps up around them? Woke up a few times, was hoping for perfection straight out of the box. Main complaint would be shoulder squeeze, going to try using a 25" air pad next.

20210424_065634.jpg

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    TrailSlug - the recommended suspension distance between the two lines at each RR end is 13 ft. That’s where the two lines come together. If you use a shorter tarp - with doors, the RR suspension lines will not allow the door to completely close. Also those lines will be outside the tarp so you have to deal with rain water possibly running down them. Sure, they just need a water break but it is just one more thing to deal with. Also, if you get the 13 ft tarp from WarBonnet, they move panel pull outs - if your tarp has them (the minifly doesn’t) - closer to the tarp ends so they are inline with the ridge runner spreader poles. So your pull-outs are were the RR is the widest.

All that doesn’t mean you have to get a 13 ft tarp. I used an 11 ft hex with a RR for years. But I also carefully planned trips for mild weather - as I’d be paddling in the ocean. So no, a 13 ft tarp isn’t necessary but it will completely cover that two suspension lines at each end and the pull-outs are placed to better accommodate the spreader poles.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Yea I guess it depends on if you want the doors to completely close. For me the 11' is find with a gap. Shug show it best here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfNT...nnel=shugemery

Hammock
    WBRR, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WL OMW, DW Hex
    Insulation
    Lynx & Wooki UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cilp Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Billcole View Post
    Had my first night out last night on trail. Staked out the Palace in double porch mode. Attached my zero degree incubator and added a zlite between the layers. Low was 27F. Stayed warm, except my feet for some reason, maybe because with my gathered end hammocks the underquilt wraps up around them? Woke up a few times, was hoping for perfection straight out of the box. Main complaint would be shoulder squeeze, going to try using a 25" air pad next.

20210424_065634.jpg
    From looking at your attached photo you might try a "tighter pitch". In my experience if you reduce the hang angle (tighter pitch) it reduces shoulder squeeze. I also added a ridgeline to get closer to the same amount of sag each time I set up.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    HG incubators and
    Quote Originally Posted by WVwanderer View Post
    From looking at your attached photo you might try a "tighter pitch". In my experience if you reduce the hang angle (tighter pitch) it reduces shoulder squeeze. I also added a ridgeline to get closer to the same amount of sag each time I set up.
    Thanks, I was just messing with it yesterday with a pad and found I like it better without, but a really tight pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Billcole View Post
    this was going to be their last run of 30d and they are moving to all 40d dream tex.

Dangnabbit. Really? I want a 30D DL RR...

Hammock
    Chameleon/TE Happy Medium/SG
    Tarp
    Thunderfly/UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG / LL
    Suspension
    Becket
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bwhntr View Post
    Dangnabbit. Really? I want a 30D DL RR...
    Yep, I saw that post by Billcole in April and ordered one of each in 30d -- SL with and without net, DL with net. Wised up at some point and had Warbonnet sell me just the hammock body and no spreader bars. I just prefer the lighter nylon. I know I'm in a very small minority, but I am not a fan of Dreamtex. Looks like there is still some 30d left but only in single layer.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12