WBBB 1.1 Double
    Tarp
    OES 4 Season Cuben
    Insulation
    NeoAir, UQ, Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Continuous loop of webbing?

After many years of hanging from whoopie slings and ucr's I've decided to switch to continuous loops and webbing from tree to loop. I'm also going to upgrade the webbing for my Blackbird to UHMWPE like maybe Venom. Currently I'm using polyester. I know that my Amsteel loops have a low melting point and that untying a slipped becket hitch with the UHMWPE can create enough friction to melt the Amsteel so my plan is to ditch the Amsteel and see if I can larkshead some continuous webbing loops to the gathered ends of the hammock. I haven't seen anybody else doing this, but I'm sure they are out there. I'm just not sure if it will behave. I'm afraid even a one inch width might want to work it's way over the gathered end. I'd like to try a half inch, but the working load is only about 600 pounds... or is is 1200 since it's essentially doubled over? Can someone offer suggestions with this type of setup?

Hammock
    netless mostly...
    Tarp
    DW Winter, Hex 12
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Incu E20
    Suspension
    Whoopie-Spider
    If you can verifiably melt a 7/64 amsteel CL by releasing something like a beckett hitch under any reasonable conditions plausibly expected while hammock camping, I will buy and send you a netless hammock of your choosing. Not gonna happen. I would however, swap the CLs with either an evo-loop or beckett loop (Myers Tech or Autumn Ultralight) in order to assist in releasing the knot. Personally I prefer a MSH over a beckett or modified beckett but that is just me.

I have a both a Grand Trunk and Pinnacle hammock that came with 1/2" tubular webbing in lieu of amsteel CLs.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by designerider View Post
    After many years of hanging from whoopie slings and ucr's I've decided to switch to continuous loops and webbing from tree to loop. I'm also going to upgrade the webbing for my Blackbird to UHMWPE like maybe Venom. Currently I'm using polyester. I know that my Amsteel loops have a low melting point and that untying a slipped becket hitch with the UHMWPE can create enough friction to melt the Amsteel so my plan is to ditch the Amsteel and see if I can larkshead some continuous webbing loops to the gathered ends of the hammock. I haven't seen anybody else doing this, but I'm sure they are out there. I'm just not sure if it will behave. I'm afraid even a one inch width might want to work it's way over the gathered end. I'd like to try a half inch, but the working load is only about 600 pounds... or is is 1200 since it's essentially doubled over? Can someone offer suggestions with this type of setup?
    As gooless has suggested, the answer here is to put some sort of pull cord on the CL (Amsteel) when using a Becket hitch. Autumn Ultralight makes a super-neat CL with the pull cord spliced into the CL, but for testing purposes you can simply tie a loop of smaller cord and witness how much easier it makes it to release the slipped Becket. It's like night and day.

Here is how it looks to tie in a simple pull loop just to test...

What you'll find with Venom is that with very little use it will bunch up and become very difficult to flatten, similar to most other UHMWPE webbing. I've been around the block a few times on the webbing issue, and for me nothing works better than good ol' Kevlar 3.3.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DIY 12' MTN 1.3 netless
    Suspension
    Turtle Ties
    Amsteel is made from dyneema, and dyneema is a trade name for UHMWPE. So your straps are the same material as the Amsteel (with very slight differences due to brands).

I have melted through Amsteel but that was due to the knot slipping under load while staying tight and tied all throughout the slipping. In other words, the friction continued to build as the slipping kept happening. This simply isn't going to happen when releasing a becket hitch, especially not when the hammock is unloaded.

To answer your other point, if you have 600 lb strap/rope and double it over like a continuous loop the result will indeed be 1200 lbs (ignoring any de-rating from knots).

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
    Inventor of Turtle Ties
    Founder of Fugal Innovations, LLC
    fugal-innovations.com

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I avoid fabric to fabric connections. To many times, rock climbing, I’ve seen the heat that can be generated as those materials slide against each other. If you want to go with webbing, why not just use the usual webbing buckles. Sure it adds a little more (on the scale), but the weight isn’t even listed on the Dutchware site. Are you a dedicated UL’er and that’s why you are not considering hardware? As a minimum, for very, very little additional weight you could put a ring on the hammock continuous loop and tie your webbing to the ring. No suspension to suspension contact and you have a water break.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by designerider View Post
    Mule tape won't work?

Use a blood knot or something similar to join ends and you're in business right?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Hammock
    WBBB DL + 7 others
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    LocoLibre TQ0 UQ0
    Suspension
    15'Kevlar3.3J-bend
    Dutchware 15 foot Kevlar 3.3 Straps. J-Bend to standard hammock CL. Almost identical to cmoulder's picture above but J-Bend instead of Becket hitch. Pull cord optional. Goes anywhere. Very lightweight. Two parts. Simple. Reliable.

• + New Posts