Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    In addition to the winter top cover, you could also just add the XLC bugnet to an El Dorado also if you want to give the shelf a whirl.

I have an El Dorado, and love it. Super comfortable, great versatility, and I love the zip-on bugnet. I sleep in mine every night at home, and when I take it on the road for motorcycle/backpacking trips, I bring a MollyMac gear hammock with me for any additional side storage I might need. I think that gives me the best of both worlds.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado
    Insulation
    UGQ/???
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I bet that the shelf is really nice to have for sure. Since weight is a bigger deal on backpacking trips I think that I will get a peak shelf/gear loft and a ridge line organizer. This way I can go light when I need to and bring the gear organizers when I have extra clothing along to keep track of. Thanks guys!

Hammock
    WB Eldorado
    Insulation
    UGQ/???
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazytown3 View Post
    In addition to the winter top cover, you could also just add the XLC bugnet to an El Dorado also if you want to give the shelf a whirl.

I have an El Dorado, and love it. Super comfortable, great versatility, and I love the zip-on bugnet. I sleep in mine every night at home, and when I take it on the road for motorcycle/backpacking trips, I bring a MollyMac gear hammock with me for any additional side storage I might need. I think that gives me the best of both worlds.
    I might message you some time about hiking trails and camping areas in your neck of the woods. You are in amazing part of the country.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by SeekSolitude View Post
    I bet that the shelf is really nice to have for sure. Since weight is a bigger deal on backpacking trips I think that I will get a peak shelf/gear loft and a ridge line organizer. This way I can go light when I need to and bring the gear organizers when I have extra clothing along to keep track of. Thanks guys!
    Be sure to research the peak loft. The Dutchware and Hammock Gear ones clip on to D rings sewn inside the hammock. I don't think the WB hammock body has any hardware on the inside. Of course, you can always add those yourself with a little bit of sewing. I think I've seen a peak loft variant that uses alligator clips to grip the fabric.

cham-peak-shelf.jpg

Also, I see that Dutch is selling the 2QZQ peak storage bag too:

peak-bag-1.jpg

Honestly, I just use the Eldorado stuff sack attached to the prusiks on the ridgeline and a small ridgeline organizer. I just need enough space to store my reading glasses, phone, charger, water bottle, and small bits of clothing (neck gaiter or skully cap, socks). I larkshead my headlamp onto the ridgeline. Pretty much everything else is in the pack or hanging up in a bear bag.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado
    Insulation
    UGQ/???
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    Be sure to research the peak loft. The Dutchware and Hammock Gear ones clip on to D rings sewn inside the hammock. I don't think the WB hammock body has any hardware on the inside. Of course, you can always add those yourself with a little bit of sewing. I think I've seen a peak loft variant that uses alligator clips to grip the fabric.

cham-peak-shelf.jpg

Also, I see that Dutch is selling the 2QZQ peak storage bag too:

peak-bag-1.jpg

Honestly, I just use the Eldorado stuff sack attached to the prusiks on the ridgeline and a small ridgeline organizer. I just need enough space to store my reading glasses, phone, charger, water bottle, and small bits of clothing (neck gaiter or skully cap, socks). I larkshead my headlamp onto the ridgeline. Pretty much everything else is in the pack or hanging up in a bear bag.
    I assumed that they attached to the ridgeline. Would it work to attach them with a prusic? I can likely just get by the way you do. Less is more sometimes. Thanks.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    I might message you some time about hiking trails and camping areas in your neck of the woods. You are in amazing part of the country.
    Message me anytime. I would be more than happy to help you with some ideas for areas to visit.

I assumed that they attached to the ridgeline. Would it work to attach them with a prusic? I can likely just get by the way you do. Less is more sometimes. Thanks.
    I think a prussic would work fine to attach those bags to a a WB hammock. From what I've seen of Dutch's peak bag, it just needs something to clip on to at the ridgeline. You would still need something to clip it to the hammock on the sides though.

Hammock
    WB Orig BB/XLC/Eldorado
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down and Apex 7.5
    Suspension
    Marlin Spike Hitch
    This may or may not be experienced by others...
    I have both and with the XLC the shelf tie-out helps pull the hammock body out just enough. On my Eldorado I experience a bit of shoulder squeeze. I don't get the shoulder squeeze in the XLC. The amount of squeeze I experience in the Eldorado isn't severe to the point where I don't want to use it. I just happen to notice it. I may all depend on the size of the individual laying in the hammock.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    I haven't used an XLC, but I'm betting that XLC shelf pullout is just enough for you. There are times I get a little bit of shoulder squeeze in the Eldorado too. If it bugs me enough (hardly ever), I get up and tighten the head-end strap just a touch more, like maybe an inch or so. Usually I just end up falling asleep thinking about it though.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    WB DB, LL Habanero
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I was just looking at an El Dorado this week!!! Not that I need one of course, just curiosity.

I have an XLC that I use on my winter trips, I like the extra storage then to keep more spare layers, water, a book, flashlight, etc with me. But the shelf is definitely overkill for 3 season trips.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    Quote Originally Posted by sideshowraheem View Post
    I was just looking at an El Dorado this week!!! Not that I need one of course, just curiosity.

I have an XLC that I use on my winter trips, I like the extra storage then to keep more spare layers, water, a book, flashlight, etc with me. But the shelf is definitely overkill for 3 season trips.
    Not trying to dissuade you from looking at/buying an Eldorado, but if you have an XLC already, you could just buy the Eldorado net top and boom! you have an Eldorado.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast