Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*

Night in the 20s - Suches GA

Took the opportunity of the last cold spell to try to test the lower bounds of my BBXLC and 20* Wooki. Didn't get an accurate temperature measurement, but it was somewhere mid 20s. Overall pretty warm and comfortable in the hammock.

My BRS3000T stove wouldn't thread onto my fuel canister after working so well the first half dozen times, so I'll be purchasing a pocket rocket 2. This is what shakedown trips are for, I guess.

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC/Eldorado
    Tarp
    HG dyneema
    Insulation
    Diamondback,wookie
    Suspension
    Spider/Beetle
    Images
    Was it a new canister? My BRS hates Coleman fuel canisters. Won't screw on to them properly. But does well with MSR ones. Might be others that work good and others that don't but for now I'm sticking with the MSR ones cause I know they work.

I have the same set up as you and had it down to about 23 and was toasty.

Happy hanging
    We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing – George Bernard Shaw

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    Quote Originally Posted by DutchConch View Post
    Was it a new canister? My BRS hates Coleman fuel canisters. Won't screw on to them properly. But does well with MSR ones. Might be others that work good and others that don't but for now I'm sticking with the MSR ones cause I know they work.

I have the same set up as you and had it down to about 23 and was toasty.

Happy hanging
    It was an MSR canister I've used on a couple trips. Everything worked fine, but I do remember that on my last trip having to apply a lot of force to unscrew the stove so probably damaged the threads on both. In the light of day, the stove is done thread wise.
    Last edited by Hang Williams; 04-02-2021 at 15:42.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hang Williams View Post
    It was an MSR canister I've used on a couple trips. Everything worked fine, but I do remember that on my last trip having to apply a lot of force to unscrew the stove so probably damaged the threads on both. In the light of day, the stove is done thread wise.
    You'll find that a Primus canister works much better with the BRS. However I agree that you've probably damaged the threads in the BRS. They're nice little stoves but the aluminum threads are delicate, unlike the brass thread inserts in higher-quality stoves, and cannot handle much heavy 'cranking down' at all.

It's always rewarding to spend a night out in the cold while remaining warm and comfortable in your little haven!
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Cold, I hear that!!! We hiked the GA AT from Woody Gap to Hogpen Gap camped @ Bull Gap Friday night, slept ok, but woke up a couple of times.
    On the Fuel, this weekend some else had the same issue, MSR fuel with an amazon $10-$15 stove and it would not go on without hammer fisting it, and someone said it was a known MSR thread issue. I own the Pocket Rocket 2 and it's a great stove, but with the cold weather I switched to an alcohol stove, I use a homemade catfood can stove and it works perfectly. I like the alcohol stove for lots of reasons, but I like that I can see how much fuel I have, fuel is cheap and It's great for starting those camp fires

• + New Posts