Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tensa Solo = Awesome

I just received my Tensa Solo Pole yesterday. Put up in backyard for a quick test and loved the results.

20210331_185419.jpg20210331_185406.jpg20210331_185359.jpg

I used the 40cm boomstakes. My yard is very wet, soggy clay. Not sure what that means in terms of holding power.

I put the Tensa Solo Pole roughly 15' from my other anchored end. I have a 10x10 tarp that i hang in multiple configurations, so wanted to see if i could put Tensa Solo far enough to allow for tarp. Although i did not actually stake the tarp out, it was in an Asym diamond so roughly 11' end to end. not sure if i would have had enough room for 14' diamond. Because i had the Tensa Solo 15' from anchored end, my 11' hammock was fairly taught. The hammock ridgeline was almost piano string tight. The Tensa Solo and 40cm boomstakes supported my 250lbs. Seemed very sturdy and boomstakes appeared to have not moved even 1 mm (general observation, not actually measured).

I am so excited that my options now to hang are much better. I don't have to try and find 2 perfectly spaced trees with no brush, bushes between, in thick bush etc...... At Provincial parks, i just need one good tree on the site perimeter and can hang my hammock.

Looking forward to the season.

Hammock
    El Dorado
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    UQ varies
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Cool. Thanks for sharing how you are using it, and how it works for you.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch Wide
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    SLD & HG
    Suspension
    Myerstech UHMWPE
    Thanks for the report. I'll probably end up buying the Solo myself one of these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    WB DB, LL Habanero
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Mine shipped a few days ago! Cant wait to try it out and lounge all summer long under my big oak tree. I think I went with the orange screws as I have medium soft soil. Anxious to take it out for a spin when it arrives. Now that I think of it I have a whole summer of hammock stuff to look forward too. My Autumn Ultralight hammock and LocoLibre UQ should arrive in the following months too!

Hammock
    netless mostly...
    Tarp
    DW Winter, Hex 12
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Incu E20
    Suspension
    Whoopie-Spider
    Quote Originally Posted by sideshowraheem View Post
    Now that I think of it I have a whole summer of hammock stuff to look forward too. My Autumn Ultralight hammock and LocoLibre UQ should arrive in the following months too!
    Hammockers get a bad rap for being lazy when in reality we are mostly just biding time and resting until our new gear shows up.

Got a Solo last winter and loved the design and quality of it and found that it served a purpose well although I found the staking bit to be tedious and uninspiring. My plan was to get the oem straps at first and the do my own dyneema restraints when I had used it a bit and had a feel for what I wanted.

Over the last week I got this done and spent the weekend on the Washington coast (near LaPush, you've likely seen it a thousand times on various tv car ads) and now I absolutely love my Solo. I mocked up at least a dozen hangs, sleeping in two, and not once had to drive a stake into anything. The beach is filled with structure to hang and tie-off to and around here these things can be ridiculously huge. Massive driftwood, live trees, huge logs, rocks, roots, rootballs, some bits of shipwrecked debris and an old tire were all used as tie-off points. It was fun walking up the beach to something cool and solving the problem of not only how to hang off it but how to do it with the best view. Maximum geekiness level achieved.

I now am comfortable with leaving the stakes at home on a multi-day coast hike knowing that in a pinch I could hang just about anywhere with just the Solo and straps and with a bit of work could eventually just bring the straps and rig up a hang with what is available.

Ground anchor idea: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...mate-tent-pegs

Cool that you’re working it without the stake. Will be looking for similar solutions on my next walk in the woods.

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by gooless View Post
    Hammockers get a bad rap for being lazy when in reality we are mostly just biding time and resting until our new gear shows up.

Got a Solo last winter and loved the design and quality of it and found that it served a purpose well although I found the staking bit to be tedious and uninspiring. My plan was to get the oem straps at first and the do my own dyneema restraints when I had used it a bit and had a feel for what I wanted.

Over the last week I got this done and spent the weekend on the Washington coast (near LaPush, you've likely seen it a thousand times on various tv car ads) and now I absolutely love my Solo. I mocked up at least a dozen hangs, sleeping in two, and not once had to drive a stake into anything. The beach is filled with structure to hang and tie-off to and around here these things can be ridiculously huge. Massive driftwood, live trees, huge logs, rocks, roots, rootballs, some bits of shipwrecked debris and an old tire were all used as tie-off points. It was fun walking up the beach to something cool and solving the problem of not only how to hang off it but how to do it with the best view. Maximum geekiness level achieved.

I now am comfortable with leaving the stakes at home on a multi-day coast hike knowing that in a pinch I could hang just about anywhere with just the Solo and straps and with a bit of work could eventually just bring the straps and rig up a hang with what is available.

That's fantastic! This is one of my favorite areas to camp - the coast, but I always camp the treeline. Usually not a big deal since it's right on the beach. Cool to know that I can use a tensa to get right on the beach however.

I have the tensa 4, but would be willing to hike a half-pole or 2 in to try it out. I have used branches/small logs to do this in the past with no issues, but depending on the beach, those are not always readily available. I know they sell a kite to convert a tensa 4 pole into a single stand, but I think I can just put a foot on the pole and try it out.

I like the idea of using natural items for stakes. I always do this with my tarp in fact. Pretty rare that I can't loop on to a branch, root, rock, or shrub.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammichael View Post
    Ground anchor idea: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...mate-tent-pegs

I hope he is able to bring these to market.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    I hope he is able to bring these to market.
    It looks like a reasonable design for anchors that need to pack small and be quite light. But they don't go very deep at all, so I wouldn't expect them to perform as well as the bigger anchors Tensa offers in looser soils, unless perhaps you excavate first to drive into the firmer stuff lower down. They do share similar geometry with Tensa Boomstakes, acting more like hooks into the ground than plain stakes, the guyline forces being redirected to a point below grade so in the failure case they need to be dragged sidelong through the ground.
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast