DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    There was a thread a few years ago about using air as an insulator for a UQ, and it was a serious thread - no April Fools' Day joke.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ill-for-and-UQ
    Let's also not forget about the thread about hanging over the dying fire to stay warm, instead of using insulation. Though I believe the guy was trolling pretty hard!

I've heard that low-n-slow is the best way for hammockers to get tender.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Circadian
    Tarp
    11 footer
    Insulation
    goose down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I have finally perfected my Helium Backpack. It is propietary but I will sell to the highest bidder!!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    Let's also not forget about the thread about hanging over the dying fire to stay warm, instead of using insulation. Though I believe the guy was trolling pretty hard!

I've heard that low-n-slow is the best way for hammockers to get tender.
    That was a classic troll, but we know it's not true. Or do we?

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ght=dying+fire
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 04-03-2021 at 22:12.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    There was a thread a few years ago about using air as an insulator for a UQ, and it was a serious thread - no April Fools' Day joke.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ill-for-and-UQ
    I certainly don't want to see this thread turn into anything at all like that one did.

That said, air actually is the important element (not in the period table context!) in the typically employed forms of insulation. As someone pointed out, compressed down is a pretty bad insulator. Therefore, it is not the down itself that provides the r-value, but rather down's structure that, ounce for ounce, excels at inhibiting air movement within the insulating space.

The following comes from Wikipedia (not that everything there should be taken as gospel!):

(italics and bolding mine)

The R-value is a measure of an insulation sample's ability to reduce the rate of heat flow under specified test conditions. The primary mode of heat transfer impeded by insulation is conduction, but insulation also reduces heat loss by all three heat transfer modes: conduction, convection, and radiation. The primary heat loss across an uninsulated air-filled space is natural convection, which occurs because of changes in air density with temperature. Insulation greatly retards natural convection making conduction the primary mode of heat transfer. Porous insulations accomplish this by trapping air so that significant convective heat loss is eliminated, leaving only conduction and minor radiation transfer. The primary role of such insulation is to make the thermal conductivity of the insulation that of trapped, stagnant air. However this cannot be realized fully because the glass wool or foam needed to prevent convection increases the heat conduction compared to that of still air. The minor radiative heat transfer is obtained by having many surfaces interrupting a "clear view" between the inner and outer surfaces of the insulation such as visible light is interrupted from passing through porous materials. Such multiple surfaces are abundant in batting and porous foam. Radiation is also minimized by low emissivity (highly reflective) exterior surfaces such as aluminum foil. Lower thermal conductivity, or higher R-values, can be achieved by replacing air with argon when practical such as within special closed-pore foam insulation because argon has a lower thermal conductivity than air.

The entire article there on r-value is pretty useful.

So, yes, air as an insulator in an UQ works! The issue is how to make the air actually do what we want it to do.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12