Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

New Warbonnet Gear - Suggestions

Hello all!

First post here, hopefully I include all the necessary information. To start, I'm looking to upgrade my hammock system from an ENO Doublenest (with Profly tarp) to a Warbonnet system. I like the idea of having gear from the same manufacturer, as the items tend to work better together. I'm a 5'8" man weighing roughly 175 pounds, primarily car camping with the occasional weekend backpacking trip (first one is coming up this Summer). Most of my hanging has been done in northern Michigan (UP), where night time temperatures range from 40-65ish (not counting winter). I do, have some questions and would love the advice and experiences of everyone here.

The setup that I want to put together includes a hammock, tarp, UQ, and TQ. So here are my thoughts/questions.
    1. Would the single layer blackbird or XLC be the better hammock for me?

• As a shorter guy, I worry that I might have too much extra material hanging over me if I get the XLC. Then again, I've heard that I should be able to achieve a flatter lay in the XLC, which is among the primary reasons for me switching from the Doublenest. I don't think I want the traveler, as I almost always require a bugnet, nor the RR, as I'm looking for a gathered end hammock.
    • I was thinking of Autumn Orange for the hammock so it would be easier to find things inside and differentiate it from the UQ. The Int'l Orange is an option too, though I don't think it comes in the DreamTex fabric.

2. I'll get a 20* Wooki/XL depending on which hammock I go with.

• Not so many questions here other than color suggestions. Since I don't want to stick out like a sore thumb with my potentially orange hammock, I was thinking of doing the UQ more of a natural color, like Olive Green. Do you think the Olive Green would look good with an Autumn Orange hammock?

3. Similarly, I'll probably get a 20* Diamondback TQ.

• I've seen all sorts of arguments about what color your TQ should be. I was thinking I would match the UQ/hammock color scheme (orange inside, green outside), but maybe I should change it up. I don't know...

4. I'm leaning towards the Superfly for the tarp.

• While I don't know how much I'll be using the doors as I've never needed them before, I think it would be nice to have while car camping with friends so if anyone needs a little privacy to change, etc., it's there. Although it may be a little bigger/heavier than the Mamajamba, I think the extra coverage would be worth it. Thoughts?
    • For color, I was thinking Evergreen or Olive Brown, but I think I prefer greens to browns, in general.

Thanks for your input, everyone!
    Last edited by JustHangingOut; 03-30-2021 at 14:28.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Welcome to the forum! The only reason why anyone would need a double-layer is because of their weight, or if they plan on using a pad instead of an underquilt. Since you are light, and will be getting a Wooki, the single-layer XLC will be just fine.

I think 20° quilts make a great all-year option for folks who don't want to purchase multiple quilts for various temps. The only thing I would recommend down the road is purchasing a 40° top quilt for spring/summer. The 20° Wooki won't cause you to overheat, but a 20° top quilt will.

Lastly, the Superfly is a great tarp, and will work well in any conditions you may face in the backcountry.

Hammock
    Yes
    Tarp
    Doors for sure
    Insulation
    Love some down
    Suspension
    Usualy helps
    The Superfly is a great all around tarp. If I was going to have one tarp, it would have doors. It's worth the extra weight to have the protection if you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    ... The only reason why anyone would need a double-layer is because of their weight, or if they plan on using a pad instead of an underquilt. ...
    Another reason would be to have a very firm hammock!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JustHangingOut View Post
    Hello all!

0[*]I was thinking of Autumn Orange for the hammock so it would be easier to find things inside and differentiate it from the UQ. The Int'l Orange is an option too, though I don't think it comes in the DreamTex fabric.[/LIST]

• I've seen all sorts of arguments about what color your TQ should be. I was thinking I would match the UQ/hammock color scheme (orange inside, green outside), but maybe I should change it up. I don't know...

Get whatever colors float yer boat. Once you have the hammock, you won't need colors to determine what is what.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC; WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Morning campfire talk involves reports of all the adjustments fellow campers had to make overnight to their quilts, primary suspensions, secondary suspensions, draft collars, etc. As a full-time 4-year user of the Warbonnet system, I like the relative no fuss ease of set up. It's all I've ever known so I can't/won't tell anyone that one rig is better than another - but I'm very happy and sleep well every night.

I'm the same height as you and deliberately chose the XLC for its sweet spot qualities and went with a double layer for extended durability. While there is a wall of fabric on the shelf side of the hammock, I've never felt closed in because of the sight lines on the other side. The shelf is very handy.

The SuperFly tarp works well in all seasons and all kinds of wet, windy weather.

I've ended up with three different Wooki UQs and 3 different Mamba TQs to cover Wisconsin's 4-season possibilities, but started with a 20-degree set. In the summer, I use a light fleece blanket instead of a TQ.

I wish you well as you make your choices.
    Last edited by Watertooner; 03-31-2021 at 03:45.
    The game is the best teacher.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JustHangingOut View Post
    Hello all!

First post here, hopefully I include all the necessary information. To start, I'm looking to upgrade my hammock system from an ENO Doublenest (with Profly tarp) to a Warbonnet system. I like the idea of having gear from the same manufacturer, as the items tend to work better together. I'm a 5'8" man weighing roughly 175 pounds, primarily car camping with the occasional weekend backpacking trip (first one is coming up this Summer). Most of my hanging has been done in northern Michigan (UP), where night time temperatures range from 40-65ish (not counting winter). I do, have some questions and would love the advice and experiences of everyone here.

The setup that I want to put together includes a hammock, tarp, UQ, and TQ. So here are my thoughts/questions.
    1. Would the single layer blackbird or XLC be the better hammock for me?

• As a shorter guy, I worry that I might have too much extra material hanging over me if I get the XLC. Then again, I've heard that I should be able to achieve a flatter lay in the XLC, which is among the primary reasons for me switching from the Doublenest. I don't think I want the traveler, as I almost always require a bugnet, nor the RR, as I'm looking for a gathered end hammock.
    • I was thinking of Autumn Orange for the hammock so it would be easier to find things inside and differentiate it from the UQ. The Int'l Orange is an option too, though I don't think it comes in the DreamTex fabric.

I have been very happy with my single layer XLC and Eldorado. Softer feel and I am a backpacker so a bit lighter. I'm 6' around 195.
    Make sure to read the Warbonnet set-up instructions for success and the best lay
    ....https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/hammocks-101/
    Hammock setup
    Blackbird, Blackbird XLC, Traveler hammock Setup:

The following describes a detailed setup method that should result in maximum comfort (vs. simply hanging between 2 trees and getting inside, which works also.)

Find 2 trees that are ideally 13-17′ apart. Hang the hammock so that “once occupied” the foot end is about 16″ higher than the head end, and by “end” I mean the end of the fabric, not the attachment point on the tree itself. Since the foot end needs to be significantly higher, the easiest way to achieve this is often to just position the hammock much closer to the foot tree AND attach the webbing to the foot tree at head height or above. Having the head end farther away from it’s tree means it will sink more when you get in and that is usually what you want.

The BB/XLC/Traveler is designed to be laid in “off-center” so that your head is very close to the head end of the hammock while your feet are alot farther away from the foot end. This allows the fabric under your legs to spread out properly when laying on the diagonal. To do this you’ll want to lay so that your eyes are aprox. even with the farthest side tieout (BB or XLC) so that one tieout is even with your eyes and the other is chest level. Once you are laying in this correct spot you will then determine if you want the head/foot end higher or lower. Most people will want it setup so that when your eyes are even with the tieout that you are basically level/horizontal from hips to shoulders, so if your upper body seems too inclined or declined simply move the webbing up or down the tree trunk to adjust.

• Not so many questions here other than color suggestions. Since I don't want to stick out like a sore thumb with my potentially orange hammock, I was thinking of doing the UQ more of a natural color, like Olive Green. Do you think the Olive Green would look good with an Autumn Orange hammock?

3. Similarly, I'll probably get a 20* Diamondback TQ.

The Diamondback is a real good TQ for sure. Choose the colors that make you happy.

• While I don't know how much I'll be using the doors as I've never needed them before, I think it would be nice to have while car camping with friends so if anyone needs a little privacy to change, etc., it's there. Although it may be a little bigger/heavier than the Mamajamba, I think the extra coverage would be worth it. Thoughts?
    • For color, I was thinking Evergreen or Olive Brown, but I think I prefer greens to browns, in general.

Superfly is what I recommend to a lot of new hammockers. Great coverage. Doors are handy when needed, especially for wind.

Thanks for your input, everyone!

Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Shug of course has it all. Watch and learn! #DeerFight

Here's my take, as a relatively new WBBB owner who faced the same questions:

1. I'm 5'6" and I find the length of the XLC just fine
    2. I think I wish I'd gone single layer, just for softness and lightness. I don't use a pad. I think I was worried about bugs biting through from the bottom, which may or may not be a real concern.
    3. You definitely want a tarp with doors. And I would get 12' or 13' in case you want to switch to a RR at any point. The ideal would be a dyneema tarp with doors from some place like HammockGear, imo, though the warbonnet tarps are great, light, and relatively inexpensive. I really like my mountainfly.
    4. You definitely want strong color differentiation between your layers -- and don't forget the color you might choose for an underquilt protector (which I find very helpful in cold windy weather).
    5. Obviously it depends on what and when you hang, but I think 20* is the temp sweet spot generally. I tend to run cold, so I like extra warmth in the system.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    The only WB gear I have (currently) is an El Dorado single layer. It is a fantastic hammock, and basically an XLC with a different bug net zipped on. The XLC is terrific, but don't discount the El Dorado.

Hammock
    WBB1.7 / XLC1.7
    Tarp
    Chinnok 12x14
    Insulation
    Wookie20/Leighlo40
    Suspension
    Straps and Buckles
    The other reason to get a double layer is the skeeters can't get you through it! I have heard that they can get you through a single layer. I have never been bitten through my double.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast