Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

New Warbonnet Gear - Suggestions

Hello all!

First post here, hopefully I include all the necessary information. To start, I'm looking to upgrade my hammock system from an ENO Doublenest (with Profly tarp) to a Warbonnet system. I like the idea of having gear from the same manufacturer, as the items tend to work better together. I'm a 5'8" man weighing roughly 175 pounds, primarily car camping with the occasional weekend backpacking trip (first one is coming up this Summer). Most of my hanging has been done in northern Michigan (UP), where night time temperatures range from 40-65ish (not counting winter). I do, have some questions and would love the advice and experiences of everyone here.

The setup that I want to put together includes a hammock, tarp, UQ, and TQ. So here are my thoughts/questions.
    1. Would the single layer blackbird or XLC be the better hammock for me?

• As a shorter guy, I worry that I might have too much extra material hanging over me if I get the XLC. Then again, I've heard that I should be able to achieve a flatter lay in the XLC, which is among the primary reasons for me switching from the Doublenest. I don't think I want the traveler, as I almost always require a bugnet, nor the RR, as I'm looking for a gathered end hammock.
    • I was thinking of Autumn Orange for the hammock so it would be easier to find things inside and differentiate it from the UQ. The Int'l Orange is an option too, though I don't think it comes in the DreamTex fabric.

2. I'll get a 20* Wooki/XL depending on which hammock I go with.

• Not so many questions here other than color suggestions. Since I don't want to stick out like a sore thumb with my potentially orange hammock, I was thinking of doing the UQ more of a natural color, like Olive Green. Do you think the Olive Green would look good with an Autumn Orange hammock?

3. Similarly, I'll probably get a 20* Diamondback TQ.

• I've seen all sorts of arguments about what color your TQ should be. I was thinking I would match the UQ/hammock color scheme (orange inside, green outside), but maybe I should change it up. I don't know...

4. I'm leaning towards the Superfly for the tarp.

• While I don't know how much I'll be using the doors as I've never needed them before, I think it would be nice to have while car camping with friends so if anyone needs a little privacy to change, etc., it's there. Although it may be a little bigger/heavier than the Mamajamba, I think the extra coverage would be worth it. Thoughts?
    • For color, I was thinking Evergreen or Olive Brown, but I think I prefer greens to browns, in general.

Thanks for your input, everyone!
    Last edited by JustHangingOut; 03-30-2021 at 14:28.

• + New Posts