Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Benbjamn View Post
    The other reason to get a double layer is the skeeters can't get you through it! I have heard that they can get you through a single layer. I have never been bitten through my double.
    Have you been bitten through a single layer?

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    I hear about the single-layer bug biting issues, and they certainly may be true. In my area and the places I go to, I need an underquilt underneath all the time, so that seems to take care of any bug issues from below.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JustHangingOut View Post
    I like the idea of having gear from the same manufacturer, as the items tend to work better together.
    The great thing about hammocks is that the set-up is modular. As long as you combine the right sizes and know what to look for, it's absolutely no problem to mix and match gear from different manufacturers. That said, Warbonnet makes top notch gear, and while I own way too much hammock gear, my favorite gear is almost exclusively from Warbonnet.

1. Would the single layer blackbird or XLC be the better hammock for me?
    That depends on your priorities. At your size, both hammocks work well, but the XLC should be a tiny bit more comfortable. I'm 5'4" and use a Blackbird for hiking, because it is still more comfortable to me than any other hammock made by other manufacturers. For hanging full-time at home, I use an Eldorado / XLC, because it is slightly more comfortable and the extra weight does not matter.

If you plan to carry your gear for 10+ miles several days in a row, I would try the Blackbird first, because you'll be grateful every ounce saved.

• As a shorter guy, I worry that I might have too much extra material hanging over me if I get the XLC. Then again, I've heard that I should be able to achieve a flatter lay in the XLC, which is among the primary reasons for me switching from the Doublenest.
    There won't be extra material hanging over you. The longer hammock will just need more space between the trees, but the fabric will be stretched out completely. For those who have a problem with "floppy fabric" (I never understood that problem), it's only the width that causes this "problem". Both the Blackbird and the XLC are the same width. So no difference there.

• I was thinking of Autumn Orange for the hammock so it would be easier to find things inside and differentiate it from the UQ. The Int'l Orange is an option too, though I don't think it comes in the DreamTex fabric.
    I never had a problem with finding "things" in my hammocks. But I only have a pillow, a sleeping bag or top quilt and a knee pillow in the hammock. The only thing that I need to look for sometimes is the pillow. And if that would be a problem, I would rather pick a bright color for the pillow. But if you like Autumn Orange for a hammock, go for it. When the Wooki and the tarp are covering it, there's not much hammock fabric visible.

2. I'll get a 20* Wooki/XL depending on which hammock I go with.

• Not so many questions here other than color suggestions. Since I don't want to stick out like a sore thumb with my potentially orange hammock, I was thinking of doing the UQ more of a natural color, like Olive Green. Do you think the Olive Green would look good with an Autumn Orange hammock?
    This is primarily a matter of taste, but I think Autumn Orange goes perfectly with Dark Foliage Green. However, I don't think that different colors will prevent you from accidentally sitting in your underquilt. When it happened to me, it was almost always dark, so that I didn't see anything anyways - and I always went over the hammock on the other side, which is not possible with the net zipped on. That's why I would say get whatever colors you like best, and teach yourself to always grab the hammock edge with the zipper before sitting down. That way you will never miss the hammock, even in total darkness.

3. Similarly, I'll probably get a 20* Diamondback TQ.

• I've seen all sorts of arguments about what color your TQ should be. I was thinking I would match the UQ/hammock color scheme (orange inside, green outside), but maybe I should change it up. I don't know...
    Why should a top quilt be in any specific color? I don't see a reason against picking the color based solely on your preferences.

4. I'm leaning towards the Superfly for the tarp.

• While I don't know how much I'll be using the doors as I've never needed them before, I think it would be nice to have while car camping with friends so if anyone needs a little privacy to change, etc., it's there. Although it may be a little bigger/heavier than the Mamajamba, I think the extra coverage would be worth it. Thoughts?
    That really depends on the conditions in which you're planning to camp. The Superfly offers the best weather protection. The downside is, that it weighs more and doesn't pack down as small as a smaller tarp. As a shorter person myself, I also find larger tarps more difficult to handle. But if you camp a lot in winter or in really bad weather, or need the privacy (e.g. as a scout leader), the Superfly is your best choice.

While I have used and liked the Mamajamba for years, I would rather pick a tarp with mini doors. The mini doors add so much rain protection for only a slight weight increase that it is silly not to get them. The Thunderfly is a great 3-season tarp, and I would probably pick it any day over the Mamajamba.

• For color, I was thinking Evergreen or Olive Brown, but I think I prefer greens to browns, in general.

Then get the color you prefer. There's no fashion police out in the woods

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB minifly
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    buckles
    Your proposed setup sounds almost exactly like mine: I have a single layer WBBB, WB 20* top quilt, 20* Yeti, a Speer Winter Tarp (same dimensions as a Superfly), and a minifly for summer/light trips. It's a flexible 3+ season setup, and is often too warm. If I had the bucks, I'd get myself a 40* TQ for summer.

I've never been bit through my hammock, but if you're worried about getting bit through a single layer, treat it with Permethrin. If you're in tick country, that's a good idea anyhow.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Re single vs. double layer - the only reasons I can see for a double layer Blackbird or XLC are either you need the higher weight capacity, or you want to reduce stretch. At only 143 lbs, I use a DL XLC because less stretch is more comfortable to me.

With regards to the bug biting problem: if you lie in the hammock without a shirt and no bottom insulation, the bugs can and will bite you through two layers if they're hungry enough. I have been bitten frequently through two layers of clothing - and that is not as tightly pressed to the body as the hammock fabric. If it's hot enough to sleep without an underquilt, use either Permetrin on the outside of the hammock, a 360° net sock, or an UQP (without the underquilt).

Thanks for your advice everybody, especially the detailed responses! While I haven't pulled the trigger yet, I think I've settled on the XLC in Olive Green, a 20* Wooki XL in Copper Brown, and a 20* Diamondback in Dark Foliage outer and Autumn Orange inner (thanks for the color suggestion, Hutzelbein).

What I haven't quite settled on is the tarp. After doing a bit more reading and extensive viewing of Shug's youtube channel (what an absolute gold mine of content, Shug!), I've put more consideration into getting a Minifly, rather than, or maybe in addition to, the Superfly. It seems that many who have both prefer to use their Mini unless bad weather calls for the additional coverage of the Super. For the short term anyway, I think a Mini would be adequate for my needs, and would be lighter and less of a hassle than setting up the Super for my upcoming backpacking trip. For other, car camping trips, I still may look into buying a Superfly if they go on sale. Thoughts?

Another question I do have, as I wait for the 20D Silpoly to return in any color other than camo (not my style) is whether I should just go for the 30D Silnylon instead as the weight difference isn't all that substantial? Color wise, I am debating between Olive Brown and Evergreen, but the pictures I've seen of these colors have been inconsistent due to lighting. Open to suggestions here, too.

Thanks again everybody.

Hammock
    Eldorado
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    Becket
    I have a Superfly and their Evergreen is kind of a hard color to match in pictures, because it can look quite different in warm/cool, high/low lighting. I was debating the same thing as you with a tarp recently because I have the 20d silpoly Superfly but wanted a lighter option and ended up ordering a 30d silnylon Minifly because I wanted it for an upcoming trip and couldn't wait for the silpoly to come back in stock. I know that it will retain water and thus weigh more to carry when wet, but if I'm expecting wet conditions I'll just bring the Superfly.

When it's been windy and rainy, I'm glad I have that extra coverage of the Superfly all the way around, and I know you can see that kind of weather in MI pretty regularly depending on when you're going out. You'd probably still be alright with a Minifly, just have to pay attention to more factors for set-up to stay dry in adverse conditions, and I wanted the most foolproof set-up for my first tarp personally.

I have the olive green in a hammock and an under quilt and I love that color, but my top quilt is a different animal, Fern Green out, Gold in, Dark Red draft and trim. I want my set up to blend in with the surroundings, but my top quilt is the one place where I like to have a splash of color.

I think it's nice to have multiple tarps. The Minifly would be one of those that I'd choose. Adding a doored tarp later is the direction that appeals to me. It's just nice to have a small (but not too small), simple tarp as a choice.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Here's my Olive Brown Thunderfly and Evergreen Superfly in their natural habitat.

2020-10-12_18-15-48_823 (2).jpg

Just thought I'd provide some closure to this thread. I just placed my order for and am excitedly awaiting:

Single Layer Blackbird XLC - Olive Green Dream-Tex
    20* Wooki XL Underquilt - Copper Brown
    20* Diamondback Topquilt w/ Sewn Footbox & Draft Collar - Dark Foliage outer w/ Int'l Orange Inner, Collar, and Casings
    11' Minifly - 20D Silpoly - Olive Brown

I also added some TarpTicks and, since Warbonnet is currently out of guyline, some ZingIt from Dutchware.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast