WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle

Best way to extend my current gear into winter

I have a 20 degree UQ and a 15 degree TQ which I've comfortably used into the mid 20s. I don't really want to buy new quilts and I don't have much desire to go out in sub zero temperatures. I would like to try and get in the 10-15 degree F range though with my current set up. I already have an UQ protector so I'm wondering what might get me an extra 5-10 degrees of warmth more efficiently: a top cover, a winter sock, or would just adding a sleeping bag liner inside my quilt get me down there? Would love to hear what you all think would be best option.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Don't go the liner route - great concept that results in a wrestling match and maybe +5 degrees.

Given your parameters, I would add puffy down pants (I use Montbell) and add your puffy jacket once you get chilled. You already know how nice they are in camp too.

If they are already part of your setup at 20f (I doubt they are unless you're a cold sleeper), then the winter sock (w/ good ventilation) would be my next recommendation. Most warmth is retained via the bottom side, so the top cover probably won't do it, but I don't have experience there.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sls25 View Post
    I have a 20 degree UQ and a 15 degree TQ which I've comfortably used into the mid 20s. I don't really want to buy new quilts and I don't have much desire to go out in sub zero temperatures. I would like to try and get in the 10-15 degree F range though with my current set up. I already have an UQ protector so I'm wondering what might get me an extra 5-10 degrees of warmth more efficiently: a top cover, a winter sock, or would just adding a sleeping bag liner inside my quilt get me down there? Would love to hear what you all think would be best option.
    Easily done, with several different methods. Or at least, I have always had a pretty easy time extending the range of my insulation by way of various layering, reflector/vapor barrier or pad approaches.

Particularly if you have a double layer bridge hammock(or really even a single layer), simply adding a piece of WM blue or any other closed cell foam pad should give you- depending on pad thickness- another 10 to 50F. This will add just as much warmth in a gathered hammock, but it is just so much easier for me to use a pad in a bridge or 90ş hammock. It is also easier for me to use a pad in a gathered hammock if it is short, just enough to cover my butt or torso. Both of which will be the area normally needing the extra insulation, assuming you don't have a cold spot somewhere else in your UQ. But normally, butt and/or lower back are the area that get cold first in a hammock and are hardest to warm up. Though feet give some folks a problem. Again, a pad can help with that also. You should also probably make sure the pad is not so wide and stiff that it interferes with the fit of your UQ.

But, some folks have severe problems with pads, especially in gathered hammocks. It ruins the comfort for them, or they sweat a lot on the pads. Especially in a gathered, single layer hammock, they can not stay on the pad. A trick I have used with great success for 15 years is just to add a cheap, light space blanket between my under insulation and the hammock. I have never actually done this with an UQ, but with a form of UQ I used to have called a Speer Pea Pod, which is an UQ/TQ combo, IOW a giant bag that completely surrounded the hammock end to end. But mostly I have used it in my HH Super Shelter, on top of the open cell foam pad and sil-nylon under cover. This always seems to add a good 15 degrees of warmth. As a vapor barrier, there is always risk of condensation or sweat. But my worst case scenario is about a table spoon of liquid collected at the low point of the space blanket, but it did not get me or the hammock or any insulation wet. But usually bone dry. A few others here have had a similar experience. The key to using any VB like a space blanket is to keep the VB warm, by keeping it close to your body and inside all or most insulation. Condensation happens on cold surfaces. Keep it warm. And avoid sweating from overheating(vent). But if you do sweat, at least the sweat will not get into your UQ. If ONE VB is placed OUTSIDE of the insulation where it is cold, condensation will occur and soak your insulation. So, don't do that unless you ALSO have an INSIDE/WARM VB to keep your body vapor from contacting the cold outer VB and condensing.

Next is a step up from the space blanket, VB clothing. Easily adds 20ş+ for me, and also boosts the TQ as well as UQ, and keeps both much drier and loftier as time goes on.

Wearing layers of fleece helps me with both TQ and UQ, since fleece compresses poorly.(of course, make sure all of this added insulation is dry. If you have sweated all day in it while hiking, it might make matters worse) I have always been able to push TQs or sleeping bags beyond their rated temps by layering regular( i.e. not VB, or + VB) puffy clothing. Some folks don't like that approach, but always works for me. For example, I have used a 20 to 30F TQ at 10F and been plenty warm by wearing a puffy jacket and pants. Or, by wearing VB clothing close to my skin. When I am using VB clothing under my insulation, it serves double duty for sitting around camp, making me much toastier than most of my companions.

Lastly, don't forget a super hat or separate puffy hood if you are using a TQ or bag quilt style. The hood and ability to seal around the head and neck/shoulders on a mummy bag contributes greatly to the over all warmth rating. Switching to a an equally thick TQ with out something equal to a bag's hood will cost you quite a few degrees.

Good luck!
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 03-30-2021 at 12:43.

Images
    And I forgot 1 more tip: consider a thin fleece frost bib. Either hanging down from your RL or draped over the top of your TQ. Some of us have big problems with our breath condensing on the cold outer surface of our quilt or bag. The bib, hanging down in front of your face, will catch the condensation and keep it out of your insulation.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    It would help to know what kind of hammock - gathered end (GE) or Bridge - and if it is double layer (DL). First I would add a balaclava to clothing if you don’t already have one. Even a light nylon one helps. Try to get one you can pull over your nose and mouth if needed.

You already have a UQP so you’re good there. A full sock would certainly help but you might get by with suspending your tarp a little closer and closing it up if it has doors. Note there is always the challenge of reducing heat loss while providing enough ventilation to minimize condensation. It’s a winter game.

Instead of a closed cell pad, if I were to add something I’d try ReflexIt material. I think the “bubble” covering results in less sweat compared to closed cell foam - but no “scientific” testing.

There’s a whole school of thought on Dress Warmer vs Add more insulation. I’ve of the less clothes school - but I do warm pj’s and light socks. Much easier to wash than quilts.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 03-31-2021 at 09:55.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    Thanks for all the suggestions thus far. I have a single layered, gathered end hammock.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB minifly
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    And I forgot 1 more tip: consider a thin fleece frost bib. Either hanging down from your RL or draped over the top of your TQ. Some of us have big problems with our breath condensing on the cold outer surface of our quilt or bag. The bib, hanging down in front of your face, will catch the condensation and keep it out of your insulation.
    This^^^^. I cut an old fleece sweatshirt into a bib by cutting off the arms and back. Useful in bed to keep the condensation off your bag, and useful when winter hiking - my belly gets cold, but I don't need more insulation on my back. A fleece bib tucked into my belt is perfect.

For the occasional cold night in the hammock, I use a pad with my UQ.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado
    Insulation
    UGQ/???
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by deadeye View Post
    This^^^^. I cut an old fleece sweatshirt into a bib by cutting off the arms and back. Useful in bed to keep the condensation off your bag, and useful when winter hiking - my belly gets cold, but I don't need more insulation on my back. A fleece bib tucked into my belt is perfect.

I have down booties and a down balaclava that I wear along with my puffy that has kept me warm under my 20 degree bandit quilt down to 4 degrees. I worry about the hammock sock causing more moisture problems than it is worth in cold temps.

For the occasional cold night in the hammock, I use a pad with my UQ.

Hammock
    WB Traveler, Dutch Netless
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG, DIY
    Suspension
    Straps, woopies,
    Images
    I have had really good results by adding a UQ protector to my winter set up. I couldn’t give you a numerical value but the wind blocking alone has made a noticeable difference in heat retention. It really helps keep things toasty. Also, this year I added a loose-fitting outer layer of wool to my sleepwear. Wool is the bee’s knees. I just love it. I got a big wool sweater and a pair of merino sleep pants. Game changer. Then, there is also the possibility of layer a simple Costco down throw diy quilt as a UQ or TQ or both. The extra 1” or so layer of down helps a ton and is light weight and cost effective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time." - Marthe Troly-Curtin

Quote Originally Posted by sls25 View Post
    I would like to try and get in the 10-15 degree F range though with my current set up. I already have an UQ protector so I'm wondering what might get me an extra 5-10 degrees of warmth...
    You've got some good info already from Otter1 and Billybob58. I'll just bolster what they've said. I've tried a fleece liner for extra warmth and Otter1 is right that it just turns into a wrestling match. Quilt stacking can work like that, but it's a pain to get settled, at least with a fleece liner.

Like you, I don't want to buy an extra quilt I'll rarely use here in Georgia, so adding a pad back into the setup seems like a good option and that's what I've done. There's no perfect pad but the 1/8 inch EVA foam pad from Mountain Laurel Designs has some good qualities. I'll leave a link below to MLD. Gossamer Gear sells the same pad, I believe, and it also comes in 1/4 inch. R-value is only .4 but it's enough to knock out cold spots on my back and let me stay warm. It's a very, very light piece of gear, easy to carry, that doubles as my sit pad.

Cons are that it's very "grabby" in the sense that you cannot and will not slide around on it, making it sometimes hard to scootch around on it. On the other hand, it stays in place once you're on it.

https://mountainlaureldesigns.com/pr...-1-8-foam-pad/
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast