Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Costco DIY UQ

Greetings From The Windy City!

Hey Folks! As many before me have said, I've been lurking on the forums for a while now, but figured I'd finally introduce myself here. I'm a city dweller whose heart is in the wilderness. My family and I love pitching hammocks along the beautiful lakefront or in the local forest preserves, but I'm always itching to get away from the lights and the noise (in pre-Covid times I would have added "and the crowds," but alas...). My dream is to get our family of four fully converted to hammock camping, and to branch out in future expeditions into the wilderness.

I'm a penny-pinching miser, so budget hammocking will likely be my MO for the duration, though I did recently splurge for a Warbonnet Ridge Runner and Mountainfly using my stimmie. That will probably be the most I ever spend on a hammock kit (certainly if my wife has anything to say about it...). I completed my own DIY Costco down UQ last fall, and I love love LOVE the spirit of these communities that produce those kind of DIY- budget-friendly projects.

I have two questions for the fine folks of the Hammock Forums. First, for fellow Illinoians/Midwesterners: name a favorite spot for hammock camping in the region – backcountry, front country, or whatever.

Second, for folks in Colorado (or those who've been hammock camping there): our family is roadtripping to Colorado in late June to visit family in Estes Park. Unfortunately, we weren't able to grab reservations at either of the campgrounds in the National Park, but I'm wondering if anyone knows of any great spots for hammock camping in that general vicinity outside of the NP campgrounds?

Thanks, and hello to all you wonderful hammockers!
    Last edited by himynameisJoseph; 03-30-2021 at 09:07.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Welcome from Cincinnati. My recommendations will be skewed toward the SE for you. But Brown Co. Indiana, and the Norther areas of Hoosier NF. are good areas. Also, the garden of the God's area of Shawnee NF in So. Illinois is a great area. To the north you have the Sylvania Wilderness and pictured Rocks National Sea Shore in the Michigan UP.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Welcome aboard from another near-Chicagoan. To answer your question about local camping spots, one area a few of us like to frequent is the McKinley Woods campsite along the I&M Canal in Channahon. The main caveat with this site is that McKinley Woods does not allow overnight parking, so you have to park at Channahon State Park and then hike or bike the 3.1 miles to the campsite. The nice thing about this is that it seems to keep the crowds away.

My favorite spot to backpack/camp is actually Forest Glen Preserve- which is in Georgetown, IL (a little south of Danville). Depending on where you live, it's probably around 2.5-3 hours away. It's a great little backpacking loop (11 miles) with plenty of ups & downs, and a couple nice camping areas along the way. Perfect for an overnight trip. They also have a an established campground at the preserve, if you would rather base camp, and then explore the trail system during the day.

Hammock
    11 ft DIY 1.6 HyperD Diamd Ripstop
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by himynameisJoseph View Post
    I have two questions for the fine folks of the Hammock Forums. First, for fellow Illinoians/Midwesterners: name a favorite spot for hammock camping in the region – backcountry, front country, or whatever.

Second, for folks in Colorado, I'm wondering if anyone knows of any great spots for hammock camping in that general vicinity outside of the NP campgrounds?
    I live up the road from you in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. We host a lot of hangs up here in Wisconsin and consider the Chicago peeps part of our extended family. (Even if they do not root for The Packers (yet))

I keep a list of local hangs (that I know of) in my signature profile and keep a look out on the Hang/ Trip planning section. You'll find posted hang info there.

Also, if you don't get the Colorado info you seek from your intro thread, post under the West thread of the Hang/Trip planning section. You might get better responses there.
    ◘ May 17-19: BACONFEST @ Interstate WI SP ◘ Oct 3-6: miCHILIgan @ Middleville, MI ◘ YouTube: karlawithak216 ◘ Instagram: i.am.karla.with.a.k ◘ 99 months

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Costco DIY UQ
    Thanks for all the replies and welcomes, y'all! Some great ideas I'm excited to look into!

• + New Posts