Darien or Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG '12 Dyneema w/d
    Insulation
    UGQ/Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Becket/soft shack

Question Backyard Hammock Material Choice

I'm going to sew up a new "yard" hammock to leave up for the summer. I've got really comfortable single layer backpacking hammocks made from 1.6 and 1.7 material, but since weight is no concern on this one, what fabric would you choose? Gathered end. 11' to 12' Wide is appreciated.

I like my 11' wide for my sleep, so that is my target size, but I want it strong enough for a pair to lounge in or kids to play without concern. Fabric with a nice feel, but let's say at least 400-500lbs.

I could do a double layer, but wondering if anyone could suggest a fabric suitable for single layer that meets my needs.
    Thanks.

Hammock
    MYOG Bridge
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Straps & Turtles
    Images
    Weight also plays into how stretchy the fabric is too. Lighter fabrics are akin to a cushier mattress, heavier fabrics like a stiffer mattress. For folks who like softer sleeping, the weight savings is just a nice perk.

EDIT: People like the 1.6 HyperD a lot, and you can get it in wide. I've used HyperD in projects and I like the feel of it. MTN Hybrid is also popular, and punches above it's weight for strength. Should have thrown out these suggestions earlier....sry
    Last edited by packman9000; 03-30-2021 at 16:59.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Just a note that if you are going to leave it outside all summer, the UV will do a real job on that fabric. There are protective sleeves you can buy or just take the hammock down when not in use.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Darien or Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG '12 Dyneema w/d
    Insulation
    UGQ/Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Becket/soft shack
    Quote Originally Posted by packman9000 View Post
    Weight also plays into how stretchy the fabric is too. Lighter fabrics are akin to a cushier mattress, heavier fabrics like a stiffer mattress. For folks who like softer sleeping, the weight savings is just a nice perk.

EDIT: People like the 1.6 HyperD a lot, and you can get it in wide. I've used HyperD in projects and I like the feel of it. MTN Hybrid is also popular, and punches above it's weight for strength. Should have thrown out these suggestions earlier....sry
    As noted in the OP I actually have hammocks that are both made of 1.6 hyper and 1.7 mountain. I enjoy both those fabrics, but I was hoping someone might suggest other alternatives that are both comfortable and heavy duty. RSBTR offers 2.2 Hex70, but I don't know about its comfort not yet having made a hammock from it.

Hammock
    Darien or Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG '12 Dyneema w/d
    Insulation
    UGQ/Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Becket/soft shack
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    Just a note that if you are going to leave it outside all summer, the UV will do a real job on that fabric. There are protective sleeves you can buy or just take the hammock down when not in use.
    This is a good point. Hadn't really thought about how fast it might degrade. Thanks for bringing it up.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by jtdums View Post
    As noted in the OP I actually have hammocks that are both made of 1.6 hyper and 1.7 mountain. I enjoy both those fabrics, but I was hoping someone might suggest other alternatives that are both comfortable and heavy duty. RSBTR offers 2.2 Hex70, but I don't know about its comfort not yet having made a hammock from it.
    The 2.2 is going to be closer to the 1.7.

To me the 1.6 had a little too much give. I prefer the 2.2 but also made a 1.7 to lighten the load for backpacking and I like it almost as much. Not sure that helps.

Fabric is one of those factors that is really personal preference. Hard for anyone to tell you what will be comfortable for you.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    1.2 MTN
    Tarp
    12' DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Kevlar strap
    I just got a big mostly cotton Brazilian from Amazon. I’m bringing it in and out. It’s plenty big and wide, and the fabric is plenty thick for kids and stuff.

Hammock
    Darien or Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG '12 Dyneema w/d
    Insulation
    UGQ/Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Becket/soft shack
    Quote Originally Posted by Countrybois View Post
    The 2.2 is going to be closer to the 1.7.

To me the 1.6 had a little too much give. I prefer the 2.2 but also made a 1.7 to lighten the load for backpacking and I like it almost as much. Not sure that helps.

Fabric is one of those factors that is really personal preference. Hard for anyone to tell you what will be comfortable for you.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Yes. At a bit over 200 pounds myself, my favorite backpacking hammock material is still 1.7 mtn. I'll take the slight weight penalty for the comfort and durability.
    I was looking at the weight recommendations for various materials at RSBTR and noticed that the 1.7 and the 2.2 are basically equal. I guess there isn't a fabric that is comfortable and bullet proof regardless of weight since I don't plan on carrying this one. Thanks for the feed back.

Hammock
    Darien or Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG '12 Dyneema w/d
    Insulation
    UGQ/Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Becket/soft shack
    Quote Originally Posted by No-sage View Post
    I just got a big mostly cotton Brazilian from Amazon. I’m bringing it in and out. It’s plenty big and wide, and the fabric is plenty thick for kids and stuff.
    I enjoy making the hammocks, so I was looking for that opportunity. In years past we have done the same with a rope hammock that we had for years from a store in South Carolina on the coast.

• + New Posts