Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    Currently blackbird xlc
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Interesting thread. I'm planning a trip out west this summer and will be curious what other suggest.

Of the places I've been in North America, Banff/Jasper is amazing but can be swarming with people. I think my favorite area I've been recently are the Glacier/Yoho/Kootenay National Parks in Canada. The provincial parks in the area are nearly just as beautiful and no where near as busy. You need to be OK with bears though.

International:
    Dolomites are amazing and you can't beat the food. Northern Pakistan/India/Tibet are beautiful but can be a little tricky to visit. I never made it to Nepal but heard it was awesome. My international bucket list includes Kyrgyzstan, Tasmania, and Hakkaido.

Images
    Gasper reminded me: tea trekking to Annapurna Base Camp (ABC) in Nepal. There was a devastating earthquake a few years back but things may have recovered since then.

If you want something more intense then go for Everest Base Camp.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator Econ
    Suspension
    Python straps
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff-oh View Post
    Grand Canyon. Though, Strong backcountry skills would be needed, unless staying on the main highway through the canyon.

Rafting trip through the canyon would also be up there for me.

Another would be horsepacking trip in the Rockies.

Least for me.
    Grand Canyon is definitely on the bucket list. My wife wants to do the Rim-to-Rim.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator Econ
    Suspension
    Python straps
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I think I'd backpack the JMT.

More realistic right now is the Uinta Highline because it's about half the distance of JMT and I could go slower and smell the flowers and take more pics.
    JMT is also on the bucket list but like you said, it's a long one. I'll have to look into Uinta.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator Econ
    Suspension
    Python straps
    Quote Originally Posted by GilligansWorld View Post
    Here in N. America it would be one of three destinations;
    Banff
    Yosemite
    RMNP

Internationally;

Italian Dolemites
    Switzerland in general
    Romania back country
    Kazakhstan back country

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
    Banff is under consideration. I've heard the Dolomites are amazing. I've thought about Slovenia since I've heard it's beautiful.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator Econ
    Suspension
    Python straps
    Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    Gasper reminded me: tea trekking to Annapurna Base Camp (ABC) in Nepal. There was a devastating earthquake a few years back but things may have recovered since then.

If you want something more intense then go for Everest Base Camp.
    My wife and I have talked about doing that for an anniversary some day!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator Econ
    Suspension
    Python straps
    Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    Well it depends on _which_ birthday of course. Knees at 20 are not the same as knees at 60.

Here in the West, Some long hikes include the Wonderland Trail around Mt Rainier (93 miles with incessent elevation changes), the PCT of course, and the John Muir Trail, but i don't think you'll get the JMT done in a week. Based on your timeframe, the Wonderland Trail would be a good shot, but it does require reservations. There is a lottery system in place.

If you really want to get lost in the wilderness, The Frank Church / River of No Return Wilderness in Idaho is huge.

Glacier National Bark / Banff would be an amazing option if you're okay with Grizzly bears.

My local favorite though actually be the little talked about Wallowa mountains in Oregon. You could easily spend a week or two in and around the area. Lots of 9-10k peaks to climb. Read my review with lots of pictures.
    When I started looking the Wonderland kept coming up. True, the birthday is the big five-oh but I'm in better shape now than I was at 20 - not to mention I'm carrying half the weight I did back when I got back into backpacking - 5.5 pound pack (empty), huge Boy Scout flannel-lined sleeping bag, 9 pound tent and canned stew. I don't miss those days!

Thanks for the ideas!

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    I’ve been looking at the Sawtooth mountains in Idaho (there’s a loop you’d can do); the Teton Crest loop trail; a loop in the Wind River range; or something up at Glacier NP.
    All of the above aren’t too far from each other (relatively speaking) so one could do a couple of these on the same trip to change things up.

And longer term the JMT, Colorado trail... etc.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Yeti 20
    Suspension
    homemade whoopies
    Consider the Tour de Mount Blanc. Takes about 10-14 days through several countries. You can get insanely good regional food along the whole route at sweet huts while camping nearby. It's incredible and you don't need to know any foreign languages to do it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12