Dream Hammock Thunderbird 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator Econ
    Suspension
    Python straps

Where would you go?

Let's say you have a landmark birthday coming up in a couple of years and you want to do something memorable. If you had the chance to go anywhere and do a 1-2 week-long (with travel) backpacking hammock trip, where would you go? Domestic or international, I'd love to hear from people in other parts of the world as to what they would recommend.

I'm not into orienteering so I'd rather it be an established trail of some sort. I can find my way around with a map and compass just fine but planning my own backcountry route is outside my current comfort zone.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Grand Canyon. Though, Strong backcountry skills would be needed, unless staying on the main highway through the canyon.

Rafting trip through the canyon would also be up there for me.

Another would be horsepacking trip in the Rockies.

Least for me.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I think I'd backpack the JMT.

More realistic right now is the Uinta Highline because it's about half the distance of JMT and I could go slower and smell the flowers and take more pics.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Here in N. America it would be one of three destinations;
    Banff
    Yosemite
    RMNP

Internationally;

Italian Dolemites
    Switzerland in general
    Romania back country
    Kazakhstan back country

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

In general, the mountains appeal. Lots of options there. Also, Zion and Katmai come to mind for North America but Katmai would require going to ground for at least part of it. Piggybacking it with backpacking elsewhere in Alaska would be totally memorable.

Definitely agree with GilligansWorld re I'nat'l (and Banff/Jasper/Yoho too.)

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Datahiker View Post
    Let's say you have a landmark birthday coming up in a couple of years and you want to do something memorable. If you had the chance to go anywhere and do a 1-2 week-long (with travel) backpacking hammock trip, where would you go? Domestic or international, I'd love to hear from people in other parts of the world as to what they would recommend.

I'm not into orienteering so I'd rather it be an established trail of some sort. I can find my way around with a map and compass just fine but planning my own backcountry route is outside my current comfort zone.
    Well it depends on _which_ birthday of course. Knees at 20 are not the same as knees at 60.

Here in the West, Some long hikes include the Wonderland Trail around Mt Rainier (93 miles with incessent elevation changes), the PCT of course, and the John Muir Trail, but i don't think you'll get the JMT done in a week. Based on your timeframe, the Wonderland Trail would be a good shot, but it does require reservations. There is a lottery system in place.

If you really want to get lost in the wilderness, The Frank Church / River of No Return Wilderness in Idaho is huge.

Glacier National Bark / Banff would be an amazing option if you're okay with Grizzly bears.

My local favorite though actually be the little talked about Wallowa mountains in Oregon. You could easily spend a week or two in and around the area. Lots of 9-10k peaks to climb. Read my review with lots of pictures.

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GilligansWorld View Post
    ...Internationally;...Romania back country...
    While I'm sure it would be beautiful and awesome, I'm not sure how well I could sleep in the land of Vlad the Impaler. I envision nights of little sleep listening for the sound of a bats wings.
    "Behold, as a wild a** of the desert, go I forth to my work." -- Guerney Halleck

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Runner View Post
    While I'm sure it would be beautiful and awesome, I'm not sure how well I could sleep in the land of Vlad the Impaler. I envision nights of little sleep listening for the sound of a bats wings.
    That's hilarious that you mentioned that. That would be primarily one of the reasons I want to go see it. I have a friend of mine that lives in Europe and he has backpacked I think they're called the Carpathian mountains but I'm getting old and my memory is slipping. Very very rustic and you are correct very creepy he said.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 13' Winter
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/Pad
    Suspension
    Straps n Whoopies
    Well, if it was my momentous birthday, I’d be off to Sweden to see where my grandfather and his family came from.

Hammock
    Darien
    Tarp
    HG Hex
    Insulation
    HG and CRO
    Suspension
    Kevlar-Lapp Hitch
    Turned 50 last summer and did a section of the AT with a couple of friends. We had a great time with lots of laughs. I hope to eventually hike the whole thing so that was the driving force behind my decision. I think the JMT would be up there for me as well given what I have heard others say about it beauty.
    "Walking is man's best medicine." - Hippocrates

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast