Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images
    With the exception of the Hammocktent 90, when I use thick inflatable pads with non gathered end hammocks, the pad raises the center of gravity and increases the sense of being unstable. it has not really been a problem for me in my Ridge Runner or JRB, but it is noticeable since I like to lean back into the sides of the hammock. These sides are not as deep and supportive when I have a 2.5" pad in any of the bridge hammocks, especially the WBRR. But, I have leaned back into the sides and still not fallen out even when trying slightly to roll out. But, it certainly does not feel as stable. and I can't say for certain that it would not be possible to roll out in my sleep. Using a closed cell foam pad of 1/2" thickness or a bit more does not cause much of problem with the stability. In past years, in my original JRB bridge, in summer or early fall(down south) I would sleep with no UQ or pad. Then if I woke up cold about 4 or 5AM, I would just slip my little torso length and 20" wide WM blue pad (cut down from full size) and go back to sleep toasty until time to get up. Except for added warmth, I never knew it was there.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    DIY & HG TQ/HG UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    I'm playing around with a closed cell foam pad in my RR. I've tried the therm-a-rest zlite and it worked pretty well, but it's a bit narrow so I also attached my HG Incubator via some modifications to attached to the spreader bars. I'm currently considering the therm-a-rest RidgeRest (which would be a great combo just for the name ) since it is 25" wide...but is only an R2.0. I need to be able to get to 35 degrees F or there about.

I'd like to be able to just go with a pad for simplicity and weight benefits. Has anyone used any other closed cell foam pads with good success?

Hammock
    Circadian
    Tarp
    11 footer
    Insulation
    goose down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Ditto to VanillaP

Hammock
    WBRR, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WL OMW, DW Hex
    Insulation
    Lynx & Wooki UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cilp Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Billcole View Post
    Is stomach sleeping possible with a pad? I am stomach/side sleeper at home, so I am interested in switching from a gathered end
    I am also a stomach/side sleeper at home. I tried stomach sleeping in my RR with a pad but could never get comfortable enough for a good nights sleep. I mostly sleep in a sort of half back half side position. I highly recommend the Arrowhead Ridgecreek synthetic for an inexpensive but excellent performing underquilt. It does not pack down as small as the down Lynx underquilt but it is half the cost.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek XL
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    I second the AHE Ridgecreek XL. I have been using it for a few years now and really like it. Along with my 2QZQ UQ protector and my HG Econ Burrow 20d TQ, it makes up my basic kit. I have a number of options for the colder temps. I usually add a military casualty blanket (folded in half) into the sleeve. When backpacking, I bring along a Sea to Summit Thermolite Reactor. For canoe camping, I prefer a wool blanket (Woolly Mammoth Woolen Company) as an additional layer. I also have the Spindrift Sock if the temps and/or weather are more severe.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    HG incubators and
    I ended up ordering a 20 degree Lynx and a cheap air pad off amazon. The pad is a 25"x75"x2.5" vertical baffle pad. I am using the pad for insulation, just structure.

On a side note, I bought a inflatable pillow because I don't think my down pillow is enough for a bridge hammock. Look up Hikenture pillow if you're in the market.

Quote Originally Posted by Billcole View Post
    Other than the R value, does the thickness and design of a air mattress make any difference in a bridge hammock?
    A 25 in pad totally removes any shoulder squeeze, eliminates any discomfort caused by your legs / knees being dug into by the side channel webbing, and just turns it from laying on a somewhat hard sheet of tightly stretched fabric to a soft comfy sleeping on a cloud experience.

I've put a very thick 30" wide pad in a RR and it worked well enough, but was a tight fit. A 2.5" pad, 28 - 30" wide, might be perfect. Even with a 25" wide XLite, I still get cold elbows/triceps.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    I have a 0 degree lynx UQ and am wondering about adding a pad. Should I get insulated or un-insulated? I want the pad for the flatter lay. Will the pad act like more clothing and reduce the heat retention of the underquilt?

Hammock
    RR, HH Safari Deluxe, NX 150, WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly and Noah
    Insulation
    pad and quilt top
    Suspension
    straps
    Just set up my RR with a 20" pad on a 12' hammock stand that I may take on a side by side trip from Montrose, CO to Moab, UT and return on the Rimrock Trail. I have never used it with the stand and it seems to be a bit "crowded" with the 20" so I may try a wider pad or a Klymit V type hammock pad with the wing. It won't fit inside the hammock and may make it difficult to get in and out of the RR. Has anyone used an inflatable pad with a stand or with trees as close as the 12'? I have used it with a 20" pad a number of times but with the trees at least 15' apart and I'm thinking it is the closeness of the stand that may be making it feel more closed in. Spreader bars are in normal position and length.

Any experience, thoughts or ideas?? Thanks!!
    Last edited by Lowrider; 08-01-2021 at 21:41.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast