WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by himynameisJoseph View Post
    I wonder if something as big as my Thermarest Basecamp XL (77"x30") will fit? .
    I have one of these pads (blue one, right?) and it fit the RR just fine. But it is monstrously heavy.

Hammock
    Warbonnet, Eldorado, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB thunderfly, etc
    Insulation
    WB Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings etc
    I've used several pads in the RR over the years and have to say that I did not like the feeling nearly as much as what it's like to go with only the Lynx. I never could use a 20" or 22" pad and stay warm because my arms would be off the mat but a 25" worked quite well for keeping me warm on cold nights. After using both the underquilt and pad together a few times, which worked really well for keeping warm, I decided to get a second colder temp underquilt and that has worked well for me since. My wife now is the primary user of the RR and I have to say that were it not for it, she would never have joined me in this hammocking journey. The experience needed to sleep well in a regular hammock was a "bridge" too far for her, so buying the ridge runner and tuning it for all season use, whether with a pad or an underquilt was the best thing I've ever done, hanging wise.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Pretty much my experience too. I took Joy to the park and set up two GE's (different sizes) and the RR. She liked the RR. So there went "my" RR until a few years later when she bought her own. The problem, not really much of a problem, was, we camp more on shoreline than deep forest. So there are fewer available trees at the right distance for the RR. So I'd take a smaller GE because I could hang it in many more places. I experimented with ReFlexIt in the DL RR this summer and it worked, but I may enjoy the weight saving of shifting my hammocks to SL more. I started out with DL because I thought I'd have to go-to-ground a lot more. These days (kayak camping) I bring a tent along too. It provides a place to collect gear (dry bags and such) and a place for womenfolk to change clothes, and have a more traditional shelter if desired.

A pad works, but I'd only consider it if I knew I might have to go to ground. Otherwise, it's a UQ all the way.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Trail Winder, ORM
    Suspension
    MyersTech+whoopie
    RR + Exped megamat = luxury

megamat.jpg

I jest but it is pretty comfortable

Hi everybody! Has anyone ever paired the 20F Lynx torso length underquilt with a torso length Z-lite for the legs? That should work up to 40F right?

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Kubi2207, Welcome to the forum. As both UQs are torso length I'm imagining you have the head end of both UQs at each end of the RR. But the RR is much narrower at the foot end than the head end. So that might create a gap. The lower legs seem to need much less insulation than the body core so even a thin pad under them would be sufficient - if you'd need anything at all. If you are 5'6" or shorter, a torso-length quilt might be near full length.

I've found down to be very adaptable to temps warmer than its rating - especially the UQ. At the cusp of fall/winter, we occasionally drop below freezing at night. I'm using my 10° Wookie with a blackbird and do not overheat when night temps are above 40° - but on warmer nights I can get too warm with a 20° TQ - if it's cinched up at my shoulders. I can loosen it up and regain comfort. If sustained 50° nights are in order, I'd switch out the 20° TQ for the 40°.

One reason for switching to the 40° UQ would be two save weight/bulk in packing.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Thank you very much for your answer cougarmeat! I go on multi-day hikes in areas where there are sometimes no trees. I do this up to 40F. At the moment I'm still on the road with my Eldorado and the 20F Wooki. But I recently tried an Eno Bridge and because I'm a side sleeper I can lie in it better. That's why I want to switch to the Ridgerunner. My thought is I'll take a Z-lite torso length with me, which I either put under my legs in the Ridgerunner or use on the floor if needed. So with the torso length Lynx I would save some pack size and weight.
    Last edited by Kubi2207; 10-07-2022 at 14:20.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    > use on the floor if needed.

Understand that a UQ "on the floor" will not provide much insulation because your body weight will compress it. When it hangs under the bridge, you have that loft of the down working for you.

Though it is definitely not UL, the Tensaoutdoors Solo pole can eliminate the need to find TWO trees the desired distance apart. But - if weight is an issue, and trees scarce, and I wouldn't want to use a tent, I'd carry a ground sheet, an inflatable pad - like a Therm-a-rest, or one of those older blue (CCF) camping pads, hammock, and TQ. My hiking poles would be staked out to support a tarp and hold the bug net off my face. I'd put down the groundsheet, then the pad, then the hammock so the pad protects the bottom of the hammock - lots of lbs/sq. inch going on there.

Once that gear was organized in my pack, if I could handle the weight and bulk, I'd also carry a torso-length UQ just for the luxury when trees were available.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123