Not sure what XLC to buy

Hi,
    l have been trying decide what XLC to pull the trigger on.I am looking at the Lightweight Double Blackbird or the heavyweight double weight.
    I am 5’11 215lb on a good day my main thing is comfort I will be using it on Dual Sport motorcycle camping adventures up in the Sierras and also boat in camping.So I am not concerned about weight just want to be as comfortable as possible
    Thank you for any advice
    MC

It depends how stiff you prefer. I happen to like a stiff hammock and, at your size, I would go for the heavy double. But that's just me. Others will say that is overkill. Until you done a bit of hammock time, you won't know if you want stretch or not. The "lighter" version will certainly hold you and you may find it to be just right. (I feel like I'm channeling Goldilocks!) If it turns out to not be stiff enough for you, sell it at a SMALL loss and go for the other. Probably easier to do it that way rather than the other way around as the first one would appeal to a broader market.

Whatever you decide, make sure you give the hammock a fair run. It takes some trial and error to not only find the sweet spot but to get to the point where you are truly comfortable in ANY hammock.

FWIW, I think the color of the hammock is less important than the color of the UQ, especially a Wooki, as that's what will be mostly seen from the outside. I happen to like gray hammocks and colorful UQs.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC; WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I have a heavyweight double layer XLC (over 1,000 nights in it since 2017). No sign of wear and very comfortable for a guy who ranges from 200-215 lbs. The only other hammock I've slept in is a WB Ridgerunner so I can't compare the XLC. Just chiming in with TominMN about the heavy double. I'm very happy and sleep well.
    The game is the best teacher.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I own and use the XL and the regular BB. Based on your weight and height, the regular BB will fit you. I am 6ft 2 and prefer the regular BB over the XL.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    WBBB / Chameleon
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    SLD TW / CRO UQ&TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles and Straps
    Part of my hammock quest was to search for the perfect fabric / configuration. At least, that's what I tell myself.

I have the Dl heavyweight and the SL 40D Dreamtex. I'm 5'10" and 200#. I started with the DL to learn how to sleep in a hammock. I came to love it.

Then I went for a SL to figure out what the difference is all about. Wow, I really liked that. too. I'm using that for my regular indoor sleeping.

If I was starting from scratch, with what I know now, and I could only have one, I would be pretty confident with a lightweight double XLC. For me,

I think the balance of firmness and stretch would be right on target. It will handle your weight, it just depends on what you prefer.

I did get the Chameleon lightweight DL, too, and I'm very happy with that. I would think that be pretty close to the XLC LW DL.

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    I'm 6' 230 lbs and really like the lightweight DL. I've only got a handful of nights in it and have never tried the heavyweight DL to compare, but that being said, I haven't noticed any stretch (big difference vs the single layer hammock I tried).

I placed my order this evening I ordered the heavyweight XlC,Wookiee,and the superfly.man that was tough but I’m excited to get off the ground especially after a long day of riding.
    Any suggestions where is a good company to get accessories?
    I didn’t want to order everything all at once I think my wife would kill me
    thank you for all your suggestions

Hammock
    WBBB XLC; WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Congrats! I generally subscribe to the "buy once, cry once" school of acquisition, but also try to spread out the costs over time so that I'm allowed to live a bit longer. You may want to think about adding a Tensa4 stand so that you will basically have unlimited options for sites.
    The game is the best teacher.

• + New Posts