WBBB
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Burrow
    Suspension
    Mantis/ daisy ch

Tarp to Hammock Suspension

Does anyone else attach their tarp to their hammock suspension instead of running additional lines to the trees?

I put dog bones on each end of the hammock to add some length of Amsteel before it Mantis clips to the 1" daisy chains. (Otherwise I'd have to attach the tarp to the daisy chains and I want it to be able to slide along the Amsteel.) I attach a clip to the middle of the dog bone with a prussic knot, and use this to hook onto the ends of the tarp. Then I stake out the side guy lines like normal.

I don't have the option to raise up the tarp this way, but I really hate extra cords.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Custom HNO Airship
    Insulation
    YETI UQ, UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Hammock Anchors
    I do. I currently use prussic knots on each end of my hammock suspension that have whoopie hooks on them. I have small rings of shock chord on my cuben tarps that I hook into the whoopie hooks during set up before tensioning the tarp peak lines.
    Ever eat a pine tree? Me neither...

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Some of us attach tarp ridgeline directly to hammock suspension, rather than to the trees.
    Most don’t!

If not attached real close to tree, any swinging in hammock can pull tarp side to side. This could stress tarp and tarp guylines, maybe loosen stakes?

If attached real close to tree, then tarp might be too high, causing less coverage of hammock during rain.

Jeff Myers of Myers Tech, has a YouTube video showing how to have a pull loop incorporated into prusik loop. This allows you to easily slide prusik loop along amsteel tarp ridgeline. Amazingly it works even when prusik is tight.

I was so impressed, I removed all old prusiks from my tarp lines and made new prusiks with pull loops included in the build. Works great

not sure if you're asking for help or suggesting the setup (how's it working for you?)

as Phantom points out, the farthest from the tree you tie it, the more movement will be transferred between the hammock and tarp . this is usually undesirable: aside from the risk of pulling the tarp stakes out if you move too much in the hammock (which can be mitigated, i guess, by using some reasonably stretchy guylines), you will get all movement of the tarp caused by aerodynamic forces transferred to the hammock, in high winds this can become quite entertaining. for your friends. if you're fine to attach to the hammock suspension at the tree though (so to the tree straps), there is no downside at all.

if you want to avoid creating another attachement point just for the tarp, but don't mind having a little bit of chord dedicated for the tarp ridgeline, i show in one of my threads how to use the hammock treestraps to also suspend the tarp, this has the advantage of speeding up setup, protecting the trees, and giving you full range of adjustment between storm mode and "fair weather" mode. it also makes for a much more solid storm mode than the classic one people use, where the ridgeline is nearly horizontal from tree to tree. i call this "the levitating tarp". you do, however, still need some sort of ridgeline for the tarp, but you save some cordage by not having to go around the trees anymore (as you're attaching to the treestraps).

here's the "levitating tarp" thread, if you're curious
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...evitating-tarp

here's a short clip showing how the tarp ridgeline attaches, and how it is tensioned with my VT based tensioning system (no hardware, but knots which behave as hardware, "tie once" knots)

Last edited by nanok; 03-28-2021 at 09:01.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Burrow
    Suspension
    Mantis/ daisy ch
    Hey Grapenut -- I'm from your neck of the woods!

Phantom Grappler, can you link to the video? ... I couldn't find it and it sounds cool.

Very interesting set up, Nanok!
    I am still new to hammock camping, so I haven't used a tarp a lot, but so far so good. It does stress it somewhat when the hammock swings, but I use a length of shock cord on one end of the guy lines, and for me it seems to do the trick. Was just wondering if others used a similar set up and how it works for them.

Hammock
    Dutchware Wide Hexon 1.7
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    HG Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    I believe this is the video Phantom Grappler was referring to.

https://youtu.be/Cuu-zDkax9c

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." – Douglas Adams

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Quote Originally Posted by kamileon View Post
    I believe this is the video Phantom Grappler was referring to.

https://youtu.be/Cuu-zDkax9c

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Kamileon, yes that’s Jeff Myers YouTube video showing how pull loop works.
    I watched another one of his YouTube videos, showing how the pull loop is incorporated into prusik loop and tarp ridgeline.

Yes, I've found using a single line to go from hammock end, up through a descender ring at the tree hugger, to opposite tree huggers/descenxer ring and then back down to the far end of hammock with a separate structured ridgeline that stays on the hammock for setting my sag to be my best setup. It is simple, allows long throws between trees and when I put my tarp over the top line between tree huggers actually pulls my tarp taught instead of the traditional sagging when I get in. A pair of the smallest s-biners keep the tarp where I want it on the top ridgeline. One of these days I should take some pictures.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainFeist View Post
    Does anyone else attach their tarp to their hammock suspension instead of running additional lines to the trees?
    That's how my old Hennessy Hammock & companion tarp worked.

Here's a good video from Myerstech showing the tarp attached to the hammock suspension via a prussic loop with pulls.

• + New Posts