Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Burrow
    Suspension
    Mantis/ daisy ch
    Thanks for the answer. I definitely don't want any extra lines to trip over. I removed them from my Leaf, and I don't always use them with my others.
    I still can't picture the quilt hooks. Are they sewn onto the hammock? Perhaps can someone post a picture?

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    As luck would have it, I have a photo handy. Olive green is my hammock and that's the quilt underneath.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Burrow
    Suspension
    Mantis/ daisy ch
    Awesome! Thank you!

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    The first side stretch models were my adjustable GE hammocks, in which I cut off all the fabric at the head and foot ends that wasn't actually underneath me and replaced with small whoopie slings (120 lb. test hollow braid fishing line) spaced every 3 inches along the cut edges. The floppy edges only cause problems (quilt falling out) at the foot end, so I never tried a side stretch for the head end, though it might have helped in some other respect. For a plain fabric hammock I think having side-stretch at both the left and right sides of the foot end would help someone who varies which way they lie.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainFeist View Post
    Another newby question, related to this only in that it is on the order form for the SLD Tree Runner: what are under quilt hooks/ UQ hooks + D-rings? And why would I want or not want them? (I assume they are something to help hold your UQ up against the sides of your hammock to avoid drafts.)

This is mostly for my trail running hammock, but if I really love it, maybe I'd take it as an UL camping hammock some time, so I'd like it to be versatile.
    I've used quilt hooks but over time found that I didn't need them if the UQ is reasonably well adjusted. Every now and then the UQ will need a little tug this way or that, which is easy enough for me, especially with a netless hammock, and I do not find it hard even with the Darien which has a zipper on one side only.

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try them because some people prefer them or find them necessary. Easy enough to cut them off, and while you're deciding whether or not to keep them the weight addition is very little... a few grams.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DIY 11.5 XL
    Tarp
    WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Dyneema/MSH
    I have knotty mods on all of my hammocks and though not totally necessary, I do prefer them. I put them on both foot ends and it helps to keep my top quilt from falling out and also helps my bottom entry bug net to fit a little better. Mine are adjustable so I can loosen or tighten as needed...loosened it's as if I don't have them. The weight is so little that I don't even consider that a negative.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Burrow
    Suspension
    Mantis/ daisy ch
    Is there a reason you choose to have them both at the foot end rather than one at the head? Does the location make a big difference for you? I had pretty much decided on Head Left/ Foot Right (the direction I lay) but I've put off my purchase for about a month, so I'm still open-minded about it. I could see myself with both sides of the foot end. I'm solidly in that direction of laying, but I found myself unable to see who I was talking to in a group yesterday, and kind of wanted to switch lay sides.
    Last edited by MountainFeist; 03-29-2021 at 14:28.

Hammock
    DIY 11.5 XL
    Tarp
    WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Dyneema/MSH
    Either way will keep the fabric under tension and works but I like the little foot boxes created on either foot end. I generally have the same lay but have been known to swap depending on my setup orientation. So it's just a personal preference and mostly habit.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Burrow
    Suspension
    Mantis/ daisy ch
    That sounds reasonable... Now I'm leaning toward having them both at the feet.
    I love getting new hammocks!

Quote Originally Posted by MountainFeist View Post
    That sounds reasonable... Now I'm leaning toward having them both at the feet.
    I love getting new hammocks!
    You could get two or three with different mods!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast