WBBB
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Burrow
    Suspension
    Mantis/ daisy ch

Knotty Mod Question

Are there any drawbacks to having Knotty Mods on your hammock? For instance, does it reduce your view? Is this mitigated by where the placement is? Where is the optimal place to put them?

Thanks!

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainFeist View Post
    Are there any drawbacks to having Knotty Mods on your hammock? For instance, does it reduce your view? Is this mitigated by where the placement is? Where is the optimal place to put them?

Thanks!
    As a minimalist who's not at all into foof and faff, for me this one mod I will get every time on a netless hammock! Got some on the 10ft Treerunner and they work out perfectly. I think that after I use the hammock more and am satisfied with the length of the shock cords I'll tack stitch them and cut off the excess length.

At SLD, Jared puts them in the head and foot areas, on the head and foot sides. This works for me. Dutch puts them both on the foot end, and that isn't bad at all, but I like Jared's approach a bit better. Either way, not a deal breaker for me. Of course the usual YMMV applies.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    The only drawback would likely be weight - if a handful of grams make a difference to you (does to some). Since it's just a bit of shock cord in the hem of the hammock, it shouldn't add or detract from whatever view you might have already had with said hammock, as it doesn't add any fabric or material. If anything, since it helps to add a little bit of structure to what would otherwise potentially be a floppy area of existing fabric, it might even help the view slightly. Depending on if you make it permanent or adjustable, you can play around and experiment with that as well.

I haven't made a DIY hammock with a knotty mod in a while, so I can't remember the measurements exactly - somewhere in the original thread there were suggestions on placement.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Burrow
    Suspension
    Mantis/ daisy ch
    Bobonli, please fill us in of what Jared says!

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    This thread is proof that the Internet can read my mind. I am exchanging emails with Jarod right now about where to put knotty mods!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Burrow
    Suspension
    Mantis/ daisy ch
    Great! Y'all answered exactly what I needed to hear!

Cmoulder, I'm planning on a 9' SLD Treerunner, per your suggestion on my "Running with a Hammock" thread. So if I lay "head left/ feet right" then I should order the knotty mods "head left/ feet right"? Also, what's your take on fixed versus adjustable ridgeline?

Thanks!

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobonli View Post
    This thread is proof that the Internet can read my mind. I am exchanging emails with Jarod right now about where to put knotty mods!
    I have an 11'x58" Tree Runner w/Knotty mods (head/foot sides) that you're welcome to try but I'm pretty sure it would be too narrow for you.

Great! Y'all answered exactly what I needed to hear!

Cmoulder, I'm planning on a 9' SLD Treerunner, per your suggestion on my "Running with a Hammock" thread. So if I lay "head left/ feet right" then I should order the knotty mods "head left/ feet right"? Also, what's your take on fixed versus adjustable ridgeline?

Thanks!
    Yes, but I think you're right to entertain other opinions on this. But Jared has a lot of experience and I'm happy to roll with his suggestions, which has worked out well. For the 11' Tree Runner, I got it without a SRL and made an adjustable one myself with Amsteel. After playing around with it a fair bit, I ended up preferring the 'standard' 83% (~110") so I made the adjustable end a fixed eye.

When I ordered the 10'x64" I simply checked the boxes for fixed SRL and lay direction with Knotty mod and clicked Pay.

I haven't even measured the SRL length but I assume it's around 100" as it is with my Dariens of same spec.

What width did Jared suggest for your 9-footer? I think you said somewhere you're 5'8" so I'd guess 66" or maybe a bit more...
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I have an 11'x58" Tree Runner w/Knotty mods (head/foot sides) that you're welcome to try but I'm pretty sure it would be too narrow for you.
    Uhh....tell me more! And I'm glad I didn't order yet!!
    I'm currently using an 11x58 HG standard hammock, the one they sell in a kit. Your post has me wondering if I correctly understand what "too wide" or "too narrow" means in a hammock width. I can't say I have a problem, but now I'm wondering what I'm missing out on, or how to know if it's too narrow. Jeesh, sleeping in the woods is so complicated!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Burrow
    Suspension
    Mantis/ daisy ch
    I have a Hennessy Leaf Lounger that is SUPER comfortable for me and it is 9' long and 58" wide, so unless the Knotty Mods make it more cramped I think that'll be fine.

I hadn't even thought about it making my feet cramped until you mentioned that, Hutzelbein. How tall are you?

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I have a Hennessy Leaf Lounger that is SUPER comfortable for me and it is 9' long and 58" wide, so unless the Knotty Mods make it more cramped I think that'll be fine.

I hadn't even thought about it making my feet cramped until you mentioned that, Hutzelbein. How tall are you?
    5'4" - I'm already pretty close to the edges as is.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast