DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainFeist View Post
    I always lay head left/ feet right. I sometimes roll to one side or the other, but it's still always basically on the same diagonal. With this diagonal as a given, do y'all think putting the Knotty Mods in those locations is the best choice?
    If you always lay feet right, then I'd definitely recommend putting one at the foot end, right side. The question is really if you want any others.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Foot end/side start 10" from the hammock end for 18" to form a foot box.
    Opposite side same but shorter. Takes the flab out of the side.
    Head end/side start 5" from hammock end for 8" to take out the flab hanging in your face.
    I use 3/8" flat elastic from the fabric store. Slides inside the 1/2" hem on the hammock side, sew it down and you don't feel it with your foot.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Burrow
    Suspension
    Mantis/ daisy ch
    PappyAmos, you have it down to a science!

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I tried it on a couple of hammocks and didn't like it. At least with 60" wide hammocks. I didn't like the extra pressure on my feet. I would like to try something like a stretch footbox next.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobonli View Post
    This thread is proof that the Internet can read my mind. I am exchanging emails with Jarod right now about where to put knotty mods!
    I have an 11'x58" Tree Runner w/Knotty mods (head/foot sides) that you're welcome to try but I'm pretty sure it would be too narrow for you.

Great! Y'all answered exactly what I needed to hear!

Cmoulder, I'm planning on a 9' SLD Treerunner, per your suggestion on my "Running with a Hammock" thread. So if I lay "head left/ feet right" then I should order the knotty mods "head left/ feet right"? Also, what's your take on fixed versus adjustable ridgeline?

Thanks!
    Yes, but I think you're right to entertain other opinions on this. But Jared has a lot of experience and I'm happy to roll with his suggestions, which has worked out well. For the 11' Tree Runner, I got it without a SRL and made an adjustable one myself with Amsteel. After playing around with it a fair bit, I ended up preferring the 'standard' 83% (~110") so I made the adjustable end a fixed eye.

When I ordered the 10'x64" I simply checked the boxes for fixed SRL and lay direction with Knotty mod and clicked Pay.

I haven't even measured the SRL length but I assume it's around 100" as it is with my Dariens of same spec.

What width did Jared suggest for your 9-footer? I think you said somewhere you're 5'8" so I'd guess 66" or maybe a bit more...
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I have an 11'x58" Tree Runner w/Knotty mods (head/foot sides) that you're welcome to try but I'm pretty sure it would be too narrow for you.
    Uhh....tell me more! And I'm glad I didn't order yet!!
    I'm currently using an 11x58 HG standard hammock, the one they sell in a kit. Your post has me wondering if I correctly understand what "too wide" or "too narrow" means in a hammock width. I can't say I have a problem, but now I'm wondering what I'm missing out on, or how to know if it's too narrow. Jeesh, sleeping in the woods is so complicated!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Burrow
    Suspension
    Mantis/ daisy ch
    I have a Hennessy Leaf Lounger that is SUPER comfortable for me and it is 9' long and 58" wide, so unless the Knotty Mods make it more cramped I think that'll be fine.

I hadn't even thought about it making my feet cramped until you mentioned that, Hutzelbein. How tall are you?

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I have a Hennessy Leaf Lounger that is SUPER comfortable for me and it is 9' long and 58" wide, so unless the Knotty Mods make it more cramped I think that'll be fine.

I hadn't even thought about it making my feet cramped until you mentioned that, Hutzelbein. How tall are you?
    5'4" - I'm already pretty close to the edges as is.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Burrow
    Suspension
    Mantis/ daisy ch
    Another newby question, related to this only in that it is on the order form for the SLD Tree Runner: what are under quilt hooks/ UQ hooks + D-rings? And why would I want or not want them? (I assume they are something to help hold your UQ up against the sides of your hammock to avoid drafts.)

This is mostly for my trail running hammock, but if I really love it, maybe I'd take it as an UL camping hammock some time, so I'd like it to be versatile.

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    Underquilt hooks are little pack hooks that allow you to attach the quilt suspension to the hammock so it doesn't slide around too much. I like them but they aren't essential, plenty of people get by without them.
    The other hooks/D rings are so you can run line from the hammock to a tent stake to "stake out" the sides of the hammock. It can be helpful in keeping the net off your face. I have them and have never used them because it's one more line to dance around. I'm a klutz and would probably trip over them!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast