HG Economy TQ for 3 seasons?

I'm looking to get an HG Economy TQ, not sure of what temp rating though. I ordered the Economy Incubator 20* with 1oz overfill already. Hoping to use the TQ for 3 season camping, temps will likely vary between 30*F and 60*F depending on time of year, and I sleep mostly neutral (maybe a bit on the warm side). What temp rating would probably be good for me?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hard to say what is good for you...but a 20º is always a good choice. You can always vent a TQ a bit.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Ya I’ve been thinking either 20* or 30*. For the foot box, what are the pros and cons between zipper and sewn?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by petoskey View Post
    Ya I’ve been thinking either 20* or 30*. For the foot box, what are the pros and cons between zipper and sewn?

Zipper you can open it up like a blanket to vent better in warmer weather.
    I prefer a sewn footbox as I find them warmer but have several TQs in various temp ratings.

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DW Chameleon
    Tarp
    Tarpless
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie's
    Images
    I have a Econ 20 Burrow and am venting heavily in temps above 40. I would not consider it a summer quilt at all. At 50-60* it would be hard to find the right balance of heat dumping without getting cold limbs outside the quilt.

a 30* would extend the upper range more comfortably. a 40* could work too - add in a costco down throw when temps are between 30 and 45.

Im glad to have my 20 as I occasionally take it into the low 20's in the desert winter, but often find it too warm in the early night before it cools off below 40ish. I recently picked up an older Warbonnett Mamba 40. I tested it in my back yard at 44* and woke up just a tad cold on top. in this test I had a Incubator 30 underneath and my back side was warm.

Basically I would not consider a 20* burrow a summer quilt that is comfortable in the 50*+ range. once overnights are 50+ you'd be better served by a 40. 30 may be a decent compromise. or 40+Costco quilt. there is no quilt that will perform great at both 30 and 60. decide which temp you'll spend more time camping in and target that temp range to start.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I'd get a 40deg and augment with clothing when the temp dips a bit below that.

In the summer you'll find that both those quilts, especially the Incubator, are mega-massive overkill and you might well want a warmer set, particularly if you're into backpacking since weight and volume are important factors. I've got a 'specialty' set of very light (19oz for the pair!) premium 50deg TQ & UQ (7D/950fp) that on average I use more than any other quilts.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Dutch Wide
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    SLD & HG
    Suspension
    Myerstech UHMWPE
    I have an Econ 20 TQ that's pretty warm. I'm in South MS and a 20* quilt is way too warm for the summer. But I just use a poncho liner for my summer quilt. It's only 4-6 oz heavier than a 40* TQ and a lot cheaper.

• + New Posts