SLD, Townsend bridge
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    WB,UGQ,Nunatak
    Suspension
    Beckets

Superior hammock vs Wooki

I am trying to understand the differences between the Superior Hammock and a XLC with a Wooki. I know that the wooki can be removed from the hammock and the wooki is symmetrical but other than that what is the difference?

From what I understand the Superior Hammock UQ is sewn to the hammock on the ends but then snapped in the middle. If I am understanding that correctly (correct me if I am not) I just don’t see a big difference. If I were to sew the Wooki to the first 2’ of the hammock and then added snaps to the rest would I have the exact same thing as the Superior?

Please correct me if I am misunderstanding the Superior Hammock design because I have never seen one in person but I do have a couple Wookis to take a look at.

Thanks

The downside to having the UQ integrated is that you can only add more insulation, not reduce it. I don't know if the Superior has a venting option that would address that. The Wooki is asym.

Hammock
    Towns end, WBRR
    Tarp
    Mini/thunder, ugq
    Insulation
    AHE,zenbivy,JRB,HG
    Suspension
    HG UL Daisy chain
    The insulated superior hammock is just that... insulated all the time. You can get snaps installed to then take an additional quilt to get you to lower temps. You can purchase an uninsulated hammock from them however, with just the snaps that would then Mate up with one of there quilts.
    kris
    Last edited by Kmazuro; 03-25-2021 at 20:26.

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    In a couple weeks, when I get the Superior hammock in, I'll be able to tell you and give pictures comparing the two. I'd say the XLC w/ wooki is a single direction lay vs the symmetrical Superior. I expect the Superior to be a bit more robust to a less than perfect lay that might put you out of the insulation slot on a wooki. I'm really just getting it for the wife, but it might become my winter hammock and the xlc/wooki be my 3 season go to.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by m00ch View Post
    I am trying to understand the differences between the Superior Hammock and a XLC with a Wooki. I know that the wooki can be removed from the hammock and the wooki is symmetrical but other than that what is the difference?

From what I understand the Superior Hammock UQ is sewn to the hammock on the ends but then snapped in the middle. If I am understanding that correctly (correct me if I am not) I just don’t see a big difference. If I were to sew the Wooki to the first 2’ of the hammock and then added snaps to the rest would I have the exact same thing as the Superior?

Please correct me if I am misunderstanding the Superior Hammock design because I have never seen one in person but I do have a couple Wookis to take a look at.

Thanks
    You can see my Superior Hammock in videos below. Love mine.
    The UQ is fully sewn in not snapped but you can snap on a second to get to lower temps.
    Laid in mine for a few hours on a 70º day and did not get too hot. That surprised me.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    SLD, Townsend bridge
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    WB,UGQ,Nunatak
    Suspension
    Beckets

Superior hammock vs Wooki

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    You can see my Superior Hammock in videos below. Love mine.
    The UQ is fully sewn in not snapped but you can snap on a second to get to lower temps.
    Laid in mine for a few hours on a 70º day and did not get too hot. That surprised me.
    Shug

Ah, that is where I needed to be corrected. I was under the impression that the UQ was snapped on for a portion of the length. Thanks for clarifying.

Thanks for correcting me also on the symmetry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by Hang Williams View Post
    In a couple weeks, when I get the Superior hammock in, I'll be able to tell you and give pictures comparing the two. I'd say the XLC w/ wooki is a single direction lay vs the symmetrical Superior. I expect the Superior to be a bit more robust to a less than perfect lay that might put you out of the insulation slot on a wooki. I'm really just getting it for the wife, but it might become my winter hammock and the xlc/wooki be my 3 season go to.
    Never found myself "out of the insulation spot" with the Wookie. I even forget to tie the outside some times and its always stayed in place and been warm.
    I've made 1 underquilt and purchased 4. The last one I bought was the Wookie and its been the only one I've used since buying it. I couldn't be more satisfied unless it made my coffee.
    Pic from last month, car camping in New Mexico. Around 20* the next morning.

Sent from my couch

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    Quote Originally Posted by ibgary View Post
    Never found myself "out of the insulation spot" with the Wookie. I even forget to tie the outside some times and its always stayed in place and been warm.
    I've made 1 underquilt and purchased 4. The last one I bought was the Wookie and its been the only one I've used since buying it. I couldn't be more satisfied unless it made my coffee.
    Pic from last month, car camping in New Mexico. Around 20* the next morning.

Sent from my couch
    If I set it level (rather than the 16" higher foot end as recommended on WB's website), then my left side is just off the edge of the insulation. That being said, I haven't slept in it like that, but did experiment a bit to see whether I wanted to pack the level or cut the weight. For my newbie self, the level is worth the weight. Set up correctly, I'm covered well unless I really go full figure 4 and then my knee is up against un-insulated hammock. Those 2 things I expect to be less likely to happen with the Superior, but I don't really know yet and, frankly, it isn't hard to just get the XLC set up correctly.

I really really really like the wookie. Way easier than the standard UQ suspension and way more comfortable plus the XLC shelf and sight lines are nice. I was bouncing around camp in the morning while everyone else was creaking and groaning.

Hammock
    Circadian
    Tarp
    11 footer
    Insulation
    goose down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    My Wookie fits fine with all four of my various brands of gathered end hammocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Hang Williams View Post
    I agree with this. I'm a very restless sleeper (and am tall as well), and found that staying on the Wooki's insulation was no easy task for me.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast