Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Down booties?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    BillyBob58, you're not a weirdo, just an alternate (and possibly superior) branch on the hammocking evolutionary tree. Oh, ye hammockers, your eventual solutions may be different from BillyBob's, but ignore his underlying reasoning at your peril!

It could be hypothesized that there is a correlation between short attention spans and cold feet, but the jury's still out on that one ....
    Ha Ha! Thanks for the kind words, WV, and extra meaningful/appreciated coming from you! I guess monkeys are a different branch, but they do have their positive points, so maybe I do as well(hopefully), even if quite different from the other branches.

All I really know is that- when adding too many layers and/or VBs- I am way likely to be too warm than cold even at or below a quilts rating. And that I have never suffered from cold feet, but going by recent experiences, been way to far in the opposite direction. Some of those very warm results have been by following Shug's directions of wrapping my super light weight Sierra Designs down jacket around the foot end of the hammock and TQ, and inserting a near weightless AHE foot/sit pad into my TQ foot box. Others have been mainly by use of VB socks.

I suppose if I had to do like Shug and tackle minus 20F or greater, I would do all of that, kind of like I did at my PB of +6F. What was way too warm for my feet at +6F might be OK at minus 20F or even minus 30F? Especially since I would almost certainly have my feet in a TQ footbox rated way warmer than +30F, on top of an UQ rated way warmer than the HHSS's about +32F. But even without those changes, I couldn't help but guess that hot sweaty feet at a balmy +6F would roughly = still warm enough feet at maybe zero F, or maybe a bit below. Sadly, a southern boy would have to travel in winter to put such theories to the test.

But, in the meantime, we always have Shug. Who, though I have never known him to use VBs, has used another of my favs- i.e. pods- with huge success at as much as minus 40F. Previously, I mentioned in favor of a layering tech the fact that several posts here about bye bye cold feet after adding booties, and that having added/layered these booties did not seem to keep the footbox of anyone's TQ from doing it's job.

But now I recommend going to watch Shug's video of his latest minus 31F outing. Please take notice of when he pops out of his quilts and starts making his Medaglia D'oro from the hammock. Notice that he is wearing some fairly significant layers, a down jacket and I don't know what but obviously something under it. Along with a separate, thick down hood covering the down jacket hood and who knows what else, and of course a face mask. Can't say what would happen if he added a big, thick parka, if other than probably making it less comfy due to less room. I don't know if that would make him colder, assuming he avoided sweat. But, the layers he is wearing are not insignificant, and no sign of them preventing his quilts from doing their job.

Same for me. More layers more likely to make me too hot, rather than too cold. Although, if I allowed that to progress to sweating(assuming no VBs in use), THEN I might well end up too cold. From the sweat being wicked into my insulation.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 03-16-2022 at 11:06.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    ........................But now I recommend going to watch Shug's video of his latest minus 31F outing. Please take notice of when he pops out of his quilts and starts making his Medaglia D'oro from the hammock. Notice that he is wearing some fairly significant layers, a down jacket and I don't know what but obviously something under it. Along with a separate, thick down hood covering the down jacket hood and who knows what else, and of course a face mask. .................................................. ................
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I did sleep in the thin Outdoor Research Helium jacket that night since I knew the cold would be extreme. But most of the time I add the OR jacket at about 4 or 5am when I pee to be ready for breakfast from the hammock. Thin shirt and an merino wool insulated shirt under.
    One pair of merino insulated long johns and a thin fleece pair of tights on legs. One pair of rag wool loose socks. Balaclava, two Black Rock down beanies and an old down hood and fleece facemask on head......

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Another +1 from me for Goosefeet Gear down socks. I bought them for my wife a while back and borrowed them for my most recent campout (temperatures dropped down into the 20s F). My feet stayed toasty warm. Sometime in the night, I tried pulling them off to see how much difference they made, and it was quite noticeable. I also have the waterproof over-booties, so I could walk around a bit in them and not have to get cold feet when getting up to find a particular tree in the middle of the night. I have the 50% overstuff. The down socks and over-booties together weigh in at about 4oz.

New Member 3 Feet High and Rising's Avatar
    Hammock
    New One Wind hope this is the One
    Tarp
    Only have DD
    Insulation
    Fire
    Suspension
    DD Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Down booties sound interesting, Do they have waterproof sole? making life easy getting up in night to P
    thanks
    To much chat, not enough hang.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    there are "overbooties" available to accomplish that. Yes, more gear!

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Quote Originally Posted by Otter1 View Post
    there are "overbooties" available to accomplish that. Yes, more gear!
    But good news is hospital shoe covers (the little blue ones with elastic - have no idea what they are called) work

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    HG 0 UQ / 20 TQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 3 Feet High and Rising View Post
    Down booties sound interesting, Do they have waterproof sole? making life easy getting up in night to P
    Yeah I have overboots that I can slip my booties into if I need to go pee or just walk around camp. No traction in 'em so I need to be careful at times. But they work well to keep my booties safe and dry.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    In a past post (video?) Shug mentioned an overboot he got from a motorcycle supply vendor. They were on sale when I picked mine up. they are very light - just a traction solo and zip-up outer nylon. It would be something to slip your bootie into so it isn't directly exposed to the snow. Remember to track out your pee path ahead of time so you aren't waking around in thigh-deep snow at night
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    11-foot Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ, bag
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    In deep cold I use boots with removable insulating liners; i can keep the liners defrosted and even dry them in a pinch. Anyway, I use the Goosefeet socks (overstuffed) and adore them. For nighttime walks I just wear my unlaced boot shells like slippers and off I go. And yes, seconded, track out your pee path before you take off your pack.

The boots are Baffin Borealis: here's a link to a sectionhiker review:

https://sectionhiker.com/baffin-bore...r-hiking-boot/

Glogg

Hammock
    Warbonnet, Eldorado, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB thunderfly, etc
    Insulation
    WB Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings etc
    MY choice is 100 percent wool, from some place such as Azerbaijan, Russia or especially Turkey. Places where they raise sheep in very cold environments. I won't bother anyone with the long winded details but there are huge differences in the warmth of wools. Beware the cheap stuff from India. Oh, and boiled wool from England is fantastic and easier to source here. It's a bit more but so worth it. There are reasonable places on Etsy.

Wool over down booties because feet sweat and wool still stays warm when damp of wet. It is cheaper by a lot. The stuff we buy here at boutique prices is mid line stuff at best - that also needs to be mentioned.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast