DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    It's definitely possible to over-insulate your feet...to a point where you're literally insulating them from the overall warmth inside the rest of the TQ that your body is heating well.

Feet suck in general at generating heat. So to expect them to warm themselves inside their own little "sleeping bags" usually doesn't work.

I like a medium wool sock and maybe my Enlightened Equipment booties over the top if necessary. Those Dutchware booties look really nice too.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    That seems to jive with my experience. In dealing with basic cold - not minus double digit extremes - the quilt/bag insulates such that a “cloud” of warm air surrounds me. If I insulate too much (too many clothes), I insulate from that warm cloud. I carry clean dry night clothes to change into because the transition seems to fade the hardships from the day, I don’t like the feel of nylon against my skin, and it keeps my hammock and quilts cleaner - easier to wash jammies than a down quilt. I wear light weight socks and have a balaclava that I wear as needed. I have tried a sleeping jacket and though I wasn’t cold, it wasn’t the same kind of comfort I felt from wearing less and having a nice lofty, tucked in, quilt.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    That seems to jive with my experience. In dealing with basic cold - not minus double digit extremes - the quilt/bag insulates such that a “cloud” of warm air surrounds me. If I insulate too much (too many clothes), I insulate from that warm cloud. I carry clean dry night clothes to change into because the transition seems to fade the hardships from the day, I don’t like the feel of nylon against my skin, and it keeps my hammock and quilts cleaner - easier to wash jammies than a down quilt. I wear light weight socks and have a balaclava that I wear as needed. I have tried a sleeping jacket and though I wasn’t cold, it wasn’t the same kind of comfort I felt from wearing less and having a nice lofty, tucked in, quilt.
    Even if someone forced me to carry a 50lb pack...I would still add ~8oz of clean, dry sleep clothes (light base layer top and bottom). Just a thin later to guard against drafts and the cool nylon touch you mention.

I bought a pair of booties from Outdoor Vitals. They use something called Loftek. Its a combination of down and synthetic that resembles down. Your stuff can get completely saturated wet and doesn't lose the loft or the warmth. I have been pretty happy with it so far. I always wear booties cause I am 6' 4" and sometimes my feet sneak out of the hammock on me. You should give their website a look they are a new company with some good stuff.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Wooki 20/Yeti 40
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    It's definitely possible to over-insulate your feet...to a point where you're literally insulating them from the overall warmth inside the rest of the TQ that your body is heating well.

Feet suck in general at generating heat. So to expect them to warm themselves inside their own little "sleeping bags" usually doesn't work.

I like a medium wool sock and maybe my Enlightened Equipment booties over the top if necessary. Those Dutchware booties look really nice too.
    I definitely think this is the case and tried it out this past weekend. I had no socks on one foot and thick loose socks on the other and the one without a sock got warm faster and I ended up spending the night without socks and was plenty warm. Only thin base layer tops and bottoms and was fine down to 7 degrees in a 10 degree TQ.

Hammock
    DIY WINTER HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    Diy Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Dutch gear
    Images
    I use them in the winter and they work well for me especially when it gets below freezing
    Its a good day to be out in the woods no matter the weather.Mist One..

Hammock
    Simply Light Designs Streamliner
    Tarp
    MAC Cat
    Insulation
    Simply Light UQ
    Suspension
    SLD whoopies
    I use WIGGYS Booties

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Trail Winder, ORM
    Suspension
    MyersTech+whoopie
    I've been looking at booties periodically, especially as this thread keeps popping up.

When comparing booties, I came across this video that compares: Goosefeet gear Down Socks, Enlightened Equipment sythentic booties, and Montbell booties (his winner)
    https://youtu.be/PhEZvco8E1w

He had some issues with his Goosefeet gear socks: 25% overfill wasn't warm enough & didn't like the fit, slipped off his feet too easily.

Those that have Goosefeet gear socks, any issues with them staying on your feet at night? And how much overfill did you get? These were high on might list and was thinking 75% or 100% overfill.

As I've been looking around, I came across another pair of booties that look nice as well: https://featheredfriends.com/collect...s-down-booties
    Last edited by bsteele; 01-13-2022 at 22:14.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon
    Tarp
    Tarpless
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie's
    Images
    Do 100% overfill. It's only like 1oz more and will make them much warmer. If you go custom that is.

On the other hand I am rarely disappointed by montbell. No experience with their booties though.

Another off the shelf bootie is Zpacks (made by goosefeet)

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I like my goosefeet socks. I can see why you might want over- stuff but mine were standard and have been plenty warm. I just shake the down more into the toes on colder nights and they do the job I ask of them, which is to fill my foot box with insulation rather than open space which is harder for feet to warm up.

I was more interested in weight and bulk at the time I ordered them and in that respect they excel. Now, in colder weather I will wear thick alpaca socks under them but I'm not sure it's always necessary unless I'm pushing the limits of my quilt.

I can see how it would be nice to have soles to wear them around camp or for nocturnal tree- watering, but then I wouldn't want them in my quilt. Also, they would weigh more and take up more space, especially if you had separate over- boots. It doesn't take more than a second to slip them off or on. I'm well- satisfied.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast