Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

First Timer - Need advice on dealing with wind

Hammock newb here...

Although I have plenty of experience and well-dialed-in kit for ground camping I'm planning to hang for the first time on a 3 day trip next week. The area is a low desert canyon and, of course, it's looking like it will be windy the entire time I'm there. Depending on the weather model I'm looking at sustained winds from 10 - 20 mph and gusts up to 35 - 40mph. I've been in this area before when the weather has been like this and the winds can get unpleasant, especially at night.

Two questions:

1) Since this would be my first hang would I be better off postponing until I'm headed someplace where weather won't be as much of a variable? I know that it's going to take some work to get the hammock and tarp dialed in and I fear that this may be a massive exercise in frustration if I'm doing that with a high wind.

2) The plan for this trip is to hike into a campsite and then stay encamped there for 2 nights (so the second day is a day hike, leaving our gear behind). If I do end up taking the hammock then how should I handle it for the day that we're away from camp? Should I leave the tarp pitched and hope that nothing wind-related causes issues or should I plan on breaking down the hammock / tarp for the day?

The hammock setup is the WanderLuxe from HG (so DCF tarp) and my first opportunity to trial the setup will be at home this weekend. I leave for my trip Tuesday morning so I'm a little concerned that I'm cutting it close. If it weren't for this damned wind I'd have no concerns, but southern AZ is getting absolutely hammered this year.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Also in Tucson at the moment.
    I don't trust my tarp to stay up in the kinds of winds that we get. So skinning is my go to. I skin the tarp in a mesh snakeskin, then I skin the hammocks in a Catch-all sack from SLD. We had some waterproof ones made for this but I would use any skin/sleeve that was big enough for hammocks and quilts if I didn't have time for an order and our rain was gone.

W/ everything skinned I don't have to worry about the winds tearing things apart and coming back to camp to find a disaster.

Hope that helps some, . . . and where are you headed? We did the Stronghold back when it snowed and really wanted to get back for the wildflowers, but headed east to kayak instead.

Hammock
    WBB XLC
    Tarp
    winterdream 11ft
    Insulation
    HG stuff
    Suspension
    becket straps
    Charcoal lined boxers good for wind ,sorry could not resist it

Quote Originally Posted by LowTech View Post
    So skinning is my go to. I skin the tarp in a mesh snakeskin, then I skin the hammocks in a Catch-all sack from SLD.
    I have a mesh skin for the tarp coming as part of the HG kit, but nothing for the hammock. I hadn't considered this use case as a justification for getting something that could swallow up the hammock and quilts. It's unlikely I'll be able to source anything by Monday, but I'll do some looking.

Hope that helps some, . . . and where are you headed?

Thanks! That helped a lot.

Heading out to Aravaipa. Was out there a couple of weeks ago and was heading out as that snow storm system was heading in. Afternoon winds the two days prior were pretty nasty and somewhat amplified by the orientation of the canyon. Weather next week should be perfect except for the damned wind!

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Jared can be amazingly fast and quality. I think I'm a fanboy.
    Contact him.

We have a modified version of these, but even these will work for non-rain days. I use it w/ a set of 20° quilts in/on the hammock.

https://simplylightdesigns.com/colle...catch-all-sack

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewp View Post
    I have a mesh skin for the tarp coming as part of the HG kit, but nothing for the hammock. I hadn't considered this use case as a justification for getting something that could swallow up the hammock and quilts. It's unlikely I'll be able to source anything by Monday, but I'll do some looking.

Thanks! That helped a lot.

Heading out to Aravaipa. Was out there a couple of weeks ago and was heading out as that snow storm system was heading in. Afternoon winds the two days prior were pretty nasty and somewhat amplified by the orientation of the canyon. Weather next week should be perfect except for the damned wind!
    [/COLOR]
    The HG hammock puts up in the included double ended stuff sack really easily. If you're leaving your pack around camp, you can loosely stuff the quilts.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    First, if it’s low desert, be sure you will have trees. I live in “high desert” country myself. Though we have Ponderosas and such in the mountains to the west, in the desert to the east, there are only sporadic Juniper trees.

Second, if there is any wind worthy of notice, you will absolutely want snake skins for your tarp - both to aid in deployment and possibly to leave your tarp up during your day hike. Without them the tarp (and hammock) turn into a big sail. If you don’t have skins at the time, you can use those circular hair elastics. You could deploy the tarp from a double sided stuff sack if you use a split ridge line so you can stake out the guys as you slowly expose the tarp to the wind. If possilble, orient parallel to the wind - this is my idea, others may disagree. That way you’ll have minimum surface area exposure and the trees with block some too.

Third, there are also sleeves for that hammock/UQ combindation and if you don’t have them, I’d take the hammock down. Also take the tarp down if not in skins. Once you have the suspension on the tree - distance settings and all - it’s easy to reclip back in.

Forth If possible, it’s a REALLY GOOD IDEA to pactice setup at home first - especially as you are going to be out for a few days. Or bring a tent as a Plan-B. The deal is, it sounds like you might be in less than a “warm sunny day” environment with gear you’ve never or seldom used and no exit for two days.

A wise person once answered, when asked how she made decisions, “I pretend a friend just ask me the question and try to take the same advice I’d give her.” So what would you say to someone who is planning on going out in somewhat adverse conditions with gear they have little experience with.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon
    Tarp
    Tarpless
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie's
    Images
    Snake skins are almost mandatory for setting up in moderate+ wind. Its possible without, but is much more frustrating.

Finding a sheltered area will be key. If you cant find some shelter it will be a noisy night.

I've had good luck holding the stakes down with large rocks, that will help prevent the stakes pulling out unexpectedly.

and definitely set your stuff up and feel good about it before attempting in the wild in the wind. Do it more than once if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by LowTech View Post
    Jared can be amazingly fast and quality. I think I'm a fanboy.
    Contact him.
    I did and he's assembling one to ship out tomorrow. It should show up in time for my trip.

Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    Forth If possible, it’s a REALLY GOOD IDEA to pactice setup at home first - especially as you are going to be out for a few days. Or bring a tent as a Plan-B. The deal is, it sounds like you might be in less than a “warm sunny day” environment with gear you’ve never or seldom used and no exit for two days.
    Gear is due to arrive tomorrow and I'm planning on some test runs over the weekend. Goal is to get proficient with setup of the tarp / hammock, but also to ensure that I understand the adjustment of the underquilt.

This trip is with my nephew (his first backpacking trip) and giving him my tent to carry and use. I'll be bringing a pad and will end up bunking with him in the tent should the hammock prove to be a disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by mcimes View Post
    Finding a sheltered area will be key. If you cant find some shelter it will be a noisy night.
    It's a reasonably thick wooded area but overall shelter is going to be dependent on which area we end up in for camp. Last time I was out there I had a little more exposure than I would have liked. This time I'm hoping to be able to snag a spot with a little more of a natural wind break.

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    Hi Antwerp
    I think the best way to get dialed in for wind is by doing it, so for ?1, I say go for it. Pitch it as low as possible to reduce to sail n effect. If the sky is clear keep the tarp skinned. Take a few extra stakes and tie out lines. I find that putting some weight on the tie out corners reduces flapping noise. I seem to always have a corner that flaps in the wind. Tighten it up and hang your water bottle on it.
    I usually set it up. Then leaving the stakes in the ground I stow the tarp in the skin. Be sure to mark the stakes so they are easy to find. By doing that, I can deploy the tarp and stake it out in about 2 minutes if if gets wet. If its just wind, I sleep much better without the tarp. Try to set up parallel to the wind.

Sent from my couch

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast