Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    It’s more involved, but if you can put bungee cord on your guy lines, it might reduce wind flap. The challenge is, if the wind is too strong, it might snap a cord. So the next “step” is to back up your shock-cord with fixed line. In my case, I have about 6-8 inches of doubled shock- cord (cord is tied in a loop). I stretched it out to get a sense of its limit, then attached it to the end of my fixed guy line and the tarp D-ring, with the other end tied to the fixed line at a length about 80% of that maximum stretch. So the cord will stretch, but the fixed guy line keeps it from stretching too much and if it snaps, the fixed guy line is still attached (but would need adjusting).

The stretch in the tarp lines minimizes “flap” and also allows the tarp to spill some wind load and spring back.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    JacksRBetr 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB 20deg set
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    Some bungee cords sure does help with tarp flapping, but if you're worried about the bungee snapping there is a way: Tie the bungee into the cord so if the bungee snaps, the line will still hold. Shug gets there around 9:05, but the rest of the video will probably help, too.

Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    It’s more involved, but if you can put bungee cord on your guy lines...
    So the cord will stretch, but the fixed guy line keeps it from stretching too much and if it snaps, the fixed guy line is still attached (but would need adjusting)

The stretch in the tarp lines minimizes “flap” and also allows the tarp to spill some wind load and spring back.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Here's my waterproof, 1.9, camo version of that Catch-all.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    LowTech, Don’t take that down to Florida. Someone will probably try to chop its head off and bring it into Fish and WildLife for a Python bounty.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

First Timer - Need advice on dealing with wind

Some things I do with different levels of wind.

Just because I do these, does not mean they are best practices.

When possible, I tie four tarp corner guylines to nearby trees. Sometimes tie to small trees at ground level. I believe they are more secure than stakes. Plus I’ve gotten away from carrying stakes.

When there is a light breeze, I remember to tie down guylines in middle of tarp edges.

And unrelated, I don’t use any break away parts like wire rings. Also no elastic cords to protect tarp.

With higher winds I have crossed corner guylines in front of tree my hammock is on and wrapped guylines around tree in a round turn at ground level at base of tree. And secured them with a good knot. Also I tie all end tarp loops together.
    This makes pretend doors that are closed.

And once with a high wind rain storm on its way, I copied something I learned from one of Shug’s videos. I took down both quilts and hammock and packed them in a “dry bag” inside my pack. After the wind and rainstorm blew over, I put hammock and quilts back up for some dry sleep.

And once in a snowstorm with 40 mile plus sustained wind gusts and a low temperature of 5 degrees Fahrenheit. My tarp ridgeline is under tarp. I tied both tarp corners on each end together and tied each end tarp loop together with their corresponding tarp loops. Tarp was free to swing back and forth in the wind-with the hammock. They swung back and forth in unison.

The tarp looked like an upside down letter envelope that was only open at the (now) bottom. That night I was using a winter sock. It helped keep snow out of hammock, but when I got up in morning, my head brushed inside of sock and condensation had frozen and it “snowed” on me a bit.

The biggest danger in high winds, is falling limbs-widow makers and whole trees. Sometimes it’s best to bail and seek shelter. I was just lucky, nothing fell on tarp or my head!

I’ve never set up during high winds. Not sure how that would be for me—probably a “ learning experience”
    Last edited by Phantom Grappler; 03-26-2021 at 00:13.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    LowTech, Don’t take that down to Florida. Someone will probably try to chop its head off and bring it into Fish and WildLife for a Python bounty.
    Fortunately I won't have too, the 20° quilts are staying here and we'll be breaking camp almost everyday, . . . so just a much thinner sleeve . . . more like a water snake.

Quick update....

Hammock, tarp, and quilts finally showed up today and I was able to take a bit of time to do a test run. My yard doesn't have appropriate trees, but I was able to string it up between some posts holding up a shade structure.

It's reasonably windy today and that gave me a good introduction to what I'm going to be dealing with. Fortunately the UQ did a lot to limit the hammock's desire to turn into a sail. I can absolutely see how I may be setting myself up for some frustration. Between getting the hang right, finding the right position in the hammock, making sure the UQ is dialed in, and dealing with the wind I'm going to have my hands full. I plan to carve out some time tomorrow to play with the setup some more.

What I can say is that I was able to get into a comfortable position relatively easily and had to force myself to get up rather than take a nap. That's more comfortable than I've ever been in an outdoor sleeping scenario so this bodes well for the future. As much as I want to take the easy way out and go to ground I really can see a payoff in getting this right. Fortunately, this is a pretty low-intensity trip so I should have plenty of time and energy to futz with the setup.

I am a bit disappointed in the actual volume taken up by the various components of this system. I think I'm going to end up with a net benefit in terms of pack volume, but it's going to be close. That 20º TQ takes up somewhat more space than the mummy bag that I would typically take on this trip but I can fix that with a warmer weather version. The UQ in a S2S XS compression sack is only slightly larger than my Tensor long/wide pad and about the same weight. Not having to accommodate the tent pole set may be the thing that ends up making the biggest difference.

What does look like it's going to be a major win is that once I'm proficient I should be able to setup and break down camp in a fraction of the time. With skins I'm guessing that I could wrangle the tarp, hammock, and quilts into a packable state in the same amount of time it takes me to deflate, fold, and roll my pad.

Thank you all for all of the advice and encouragement!

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    Great idea to practice set up in the wind before doing it in the wild. I strongly suggest that if you don't already have a Structural Ridgev Line (SRL) on the hammock, you put one on. Find that sweet spot and the SRL will lock it in places for future hangs.
    I've been a hammock camper for several yrs now and my wife is still faster with her tent than me. But if it starts raining were both under my tarp enjoying the view and making a cup of tea, which she can't do in her tent.

Sent from my couch

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewp View Post
    Quick update....

Hammock, tarp, and quilts finally showed up today and I was able to take a bit of time to do a test run. My yard doesn't have appropriate trees, but I was able to string it up between some posts holding up a shade structure.

It's reasonably windy today and that gave me a good introduction to what I'm going to be dealing with. Fortunately the UQ did a lot to limit the hammock's desire to turn into a sail. I can absolutely see how I may be setting myself up for some frustration. Between getting the hang right, finding the right position in the hammock, making sure the UQ is dialed in, and dealing with the wind I'm going to have my hands full. I plan to carve out some time tomorrow to play with the setup some more.

What I can say is that I was able to get into a comfortable position relatively easily and had to force myself to get up rather than take a nap. That's more comfortable than I've ever been in an outdoor sleeping scenario so this bodes well for the future. As much as I want to take the easy way out and go to ground I really can see a payoff in getting this right. Fortunately, this is a pretty low-intensity trip so I should have plenty of time and energy to futz with the setup.

I am a bit disappointed in the actual volume taken up by the various components of this system. I think I'm going to end up with a net benefit in terms of pack volume, but it's going to be close. That 20º TQ takes up somewhat more space than the mummy bag that I would typically take on this trip but I can fix that with a warmer weather version. The UQ in a S2S XS compression sack is only slightly larger than my Tensor long/wide pad and about the same weight. Not having to accommodate the tent pole set may be the thing that ends up making the biggest difference.

What does look like it's going to be a major win is that once I'm proficient I should be able to setup and break down camp in a fraction of the time. With skins I'm guessing that I could wrangle the tarp, hammock, and quilts into a packable state in the same amount of time it takes me to deflate, fold, and roll my pad.

Thank you all for all of the advice and encouragement!
    Once you get it dialed the comfort of the hammock will trump any volume issues.
    Keep in mind the learning curve and embrace the new~~!
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Just wanted to circle back around on this now that I've returned...

The Hammock was an absolute success. I've never been that comfortable sleeping in the wilderness and I never want to sleep on the ground again. I know that's an unrealistic goal, but one that I'm going to attempt regardless. Getting up in the morning and not being stiff and sore is a wonderful thing!

The wind was pretty nasty but it was intermittent. Fortunately, we were able to find a reasonably sheltered site so even though the tree tops were in constant motion we only felt the strongest gusts on the ground. I left the tarp skinned above me, but never felt the need to deploy it so I can't comment on that aspect. I will say that it would have been a vastly less satisfying experience without the catch-all. That thing made everything so much easier.

Of course the wind was worst when we were setting up and taking down camp, but that had no bearing on my setup. Getting my nephew's tent up and down was a completely different story as we were fighting with it in the wind. There's no way I would have been able to pitch it alone in those conditions.

I feel like I've made some real progress on the hammock learning curve just from this one trip. I did have to get up in the middle of the first night to adjust my hang and even then it wasn't ideal. Unfortunately my tree selection wasn't great as most were too small, too close together, or too dead to be appropriate. Ended up leaving it in place the second night with only a couple of minor adjustments. Temps got into the 30s on the first night an I woke up early with a cold shoulder, but the underquilt was easily adjusted without having to get up.

Overall a really fantastic experience and I'm so glad that I took the plunge.... now I'm off to deep-clean my tent in preparation for long-term storage. I don't anticipate it getting much use after this!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast