Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
    Hammock
    Amok Draumr UL
    Tarp
    Skjold 10 UL
    Insulation
    Fjøl UL
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperBonBon View Post
    How much longer does it need to be to feel like it fits correctly? I'm 6'5" and going for the XL, and wondering if I might feel the same way as you do in the regular Draumr.
    I'm 6'2" and have the XL, when using a large Exped AirPillow with a down pillowcase that adds a bit of extra bulk on top of the 18.1x11.8" pillow, I feel like there's some slight room for me to slide up and down. So judging that you're 3" taller than me, I think you could make it work depending on the size of pillow you use.

Amok does have a 30-day money back guarantee, so you could always try one and send it back if you find that it's a tight fit.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair & WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG 12ft. Sil Poly
    Insulation
    SLD Trail Winder
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    It has been a few months now since a lot of you received your 5.0 or UL. How do you feel about it now?
    ~ Rerun

In 100 years it won't make any difference...

Hammock
    Amok Draumr UL
    Tarp
    Skjold 10 UL
    Insulation
    Fjøl UL
    Don't intend to take over the show with every reply here, but I can give my personal opinion on the UL. I've had it out for about 15 nights now and it's my daily driver for hanging, though I might be a bit biased as the only hammocks I own are the 4.0 and the UL.

Other than what everyone has already mentioned about the UL on this forum and elsewhere, the only other thing I can think of, is that comfort-wise I preferred the more rigid pad that came with the 4.0 (regular Fjøl). The UL pad feels a bit more flimsy and will bend more easily when tossing and turning around in the hammock, but it's really a minor complaint. With the 4.0 I had my fair share of ideas about how things could've functioned better, but with the UL I've struggled to come up with anything at all.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I got the red Draumr UL for national hammock day this year. I have only two nights in it so far, but I do have a question that would probably apply to all the Draumr versions: How much tension on the structural ridgeline should one aim for with the Draumr setup? With gathered end hammocks, you want a little give, but it seems like the Draumr's design may make that rule of thumb obsolete because it seems to be tight to me with a 30-degree angle on the suspension. It may not make that much difference in terms of the lay because of the 90-degree design, but was wondering whether anyone has played around with that variable in their setup. Maybe Derek Hanson needs to have a Draumr version of the hang calculator?

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    ridgeline is a ridgeline

you're going to want roughly the same amount of tension on your draumr ridgeline as you'd want on a regular gathered end

the angle affects the lay less than a gathered end, but it's more about trying to equalize the force on the trees. generally the height you need to hang the draumr will get you awfully close to 30 degrees naturally, unless you're spanning a really wide gap out of necessity

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC & Ridgerunner
    I'd love to hear more opinions on the Draumr 5.0 from those that slept in it this summer and have experienced sleeping in a Warbonnet Blackbird XLC or Warbonnet Ridge Runner. I prefer side and stomach sleeping and am hoping the Draumr will prove to be a better option than either of the Warbonnets.

Also, is the thin ultralight fabric an issue on cold nights? Would you get better 3-season use out of the standard 5.0?

I've read a couple of opinions that the standard is more comfortable than the XL but not much explanation as to why. I'm 5'11" and am not sure which size I would be most comfortable in. Does the XL not hold up to tossing and turning as well due to its added length and potential flexion?

Hammock
    I have many.. use them all
    Tarp
    Fimbul, HH Hex, SF
    Insulation
    Fimbul Twister UQ
    Suspension
    Webbing, whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by jcbudny View Post
    I'd love to hear more opinions on the Draumr 5.0 from those that slept in it this summer and have experienced sleeping in a Warbonnet Blackbird XLC or Warbonnet Ridge Runner. I prefer side and stomach sleeping and am hoping the Draumr will prove to be a better option than either of the Warbonnets.

Also, is the thin ultralight fabric an issue on cold nights? Would you get better 3-season use out of the standard 5.0?

I've read a couple of opinions that the standard is more comfortable than the XL but not much explanation as to why. I'm 5'11" and am not sure which size I would be most comfortable in. Does the XL not hold up to tossing and turning as well due to its added length and potential flexion?
    I own all of the above mentioned hammocks. The Draumr is by far the best for side sleeping!
    I personally find the XL to be the most comfortable in the Draumr lineup. (I'm 180 cm tall) The head height is much better in the XL version and you don't have to duck under the ridgeline when entering...
    /Rasmus

www.instagram.com/fimbuloutdoors/
    www.fimbuloutdoors.blogspot.dk

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    you're not going to stomach sleep (comfortably) in either of the warbonnets. side sleep, if it's fetal style, would be just fine in the blackbird. the ridgerunner is mummy/dracula sleep style. the sides are VERY rigid, and it's not awesome on the knees or elbows (imo).

the fabric is gonna make zero difference in insulation. it's 100% on your quilts and pad, unless you're doubling up canvas....

I think this is 100% biased on your actual height

I can see the XL being too big, and floppy for shorter folks, and the regular being tight for tall.

right sized, they should be among the most comfortable hammocks out there (and most of your comfort is going to be based on your pad, so choose wisely)

Hammock
    Quote Originally Posted by Fimbul View Post
    I own all of the above mentioned hammocks. The Draumr is by far the best for side sleeping!
    I personally find the XL to be the most comfortable in the Draumr lineup. (I'm 180 cm tall) The head height is much better in the XL version and you don't have to duck under the ridgeline when entering...
    Thank you for sharing your thoughts, I appreciate it!

Hammock
    Tikker, thanks for chiming in. I agree about the WBRR, I feel like I’m sleeping in a coffin in it, however my twelve year old daughter loves it. Just depends on your size I guess. I’m 5’ 11” so I’m leaning towards the Draumr XL as I’d be irritated having hammock touching my head while I sleep.

• + New Posts
  • Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast