WBBB
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Burrow
    Suspension
    Mantis/ daisy ch

Running with a Hammock

I have different hammocks for different activities: usually my WBBB for overnighters, and my HH Leaf Lounger for hanging in the park. I also trail run and occasionally take a hammock with me stuffed in my hydration pack for a break mid-run out on the trail. I have a Hummingbird Single Plus for that, but I have all but given it to one of my daughters who keeps it in a go-bag in her car. I'm thinking of getting another Hummingbird, and might go for just a Single this time, as space is at a premium. Does anyone have experience with the Hummingbird Single, not as a super comfy sleep-in type of hammock, but as an easy to take along quick break sort of deal?

You should look at the hammocks from Dutch in the new Cloud .71 material. They are very light and pack well.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Burrow
    Suspension
    Mantis/ daisy ch
    Thanks...I'll look into that. I like buying stuff from Dutch.

Hammock
    WBBB DL + 7 others
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    LocoLibre TQ0 UQ0
    Suspension
    15'Kevlar3.3J-bend

Just don't run with scissors!

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Note there is a DL Cloud .71 in the FS forum. Weight 17.5 oz. with bishop bag.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Burrow
    Suspension
    Mantis/ daisy ch
    Thanks for the responses. I read the linked discussion on Hummingbirds, and wow, people sure are generally negative on the Hummingbird! I have 5 different hammocks (3 by Hennessy, a WBBB, and Hummingbird Plus,) and I find the Hummingbird plenty comfortable to hang out in. Not my fav for sleeping, but for napping in the park or on trail it is great. Packing size is my main consideration for this particular niche hammock, as it has to fit behind my water in my hydration pack... not a lot of space. While the others may be slightly more comfortable, if it doesn't fit it won't be brought.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainFeist View Post
    Thanks for the responses. I read the linked discussion on Hummingbirds, and wow, people sure are generally negative on the Hummingbird! I have 5 different hammocks (3 by Hennessy, a WBBB, and Hummingbird Plus,) and I find the Hummingbird plenty comfortable to hang out in. Not my fav for sleeping, but for napping in the park or on trail it is great. Packing size is my main consideration for this particular niche hammock, as it has to fit behind my water in my hydration pack... not a lot of space. While the others may be slightly more comfortable, if it doesn't fit it won't be brought.
    What you might do is have Jared at Simply Light Designs make you a 9'x64" (or so on width... don't know your height) Treerunner (how appropriate!) from Hexon 1.0 with Amsteel CLs and a 1.8mm Dynaglide SRL. This will be a very light and compact hammock, and the SRL makes consistent sag SO much easier... 10g 'well spent,' so to speak.

For suspension, consider a hybrid using 2x 4'x1" Kevlar tree huggers attached to 7/64" Amsteel (with a simple overhand knot), using a J-Bend (one of the extremely rare knots that works Amsteel-->Amsteel) to attach suspension to hammock.

There will a bit of a learning curve with this setup but it might get you where you want to be on weight and volume, and might even work for overnight sleeping. I'm 5'9" and my favorite hammock dimension is 10'x64" (recommend early on by the Smurfs at Dream Hammock). I recently got a Treerunner myself (Hexon 1.6) in these dimensions and it is utterly comfortable for me.

However, as with all things, people are different and YMMV.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Burrow
    Suspension
    Mantis/ daisy ch
    I completely agree with you on the SRL, and I'm going to look into the Treerunner. I'm emailing him to ask him some questions. Thanks for the suggestion!!

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainFeist View Post
    I completely agree with you on the SRL, and I'm going to look into the Treerunner. I'm emailing him to ask him some questions. Thanks for the suggestion!!
    You're welcome, and I'm very interested to see how this works out for you whichever setup you choose. I really dig anything in the 'ultralight-but-practical' backpacking niche.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast