Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear DCF
    Insulation
    EE Revelation Apex
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    For day hikes, I take a Superiorgear DayLite hammock (4.25 oz) with hummingbird straps (1.55 oz). Super light and packable, good for a restful hang.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Burrow
    Suspension
    Mantis/ daisy ch
    I was looking at the Daylite, but it is smaller even than the small Hummingbird. One of the reviewers said he kept falling out of it, so I wondered if maybe it was too small? I'm about 5'8" and I lay diagonally, though not fully at a 45 degree angle. I love the fit and lay I have in the Hennessy Leaf (9'x58",) but it isn't ultra light and doesn't pack as small.

I already have Hummingbird straps, but I use Spider Daisy Chains and Mantis clips -- just so easy and still fairly light at 4.1 oz. I might give the Hummingbirds straps another shot... I was brand new when I tried them and they required a little more thought to set up.

I'd love to hear more about your experience with the Daylite.

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear DCF
    Insulation
    EE Revelation Apex
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainFeist View Post
    I was looking at the Daylite, but it is smaller even than the small Hummingbird. One of the reviewers said he kept falling out of it, so I wondered if maybe it was too small? I'm about 5'8" and I lay diagonally, though not fully at a 45 degree angle. I love the fit and lay I have in the Hennessy Leaf (9'x58",) but it isn't ultra light and doesn't pack as small.

I already have Hummingbird straps, but I use Spider Daisy Chains and Mantis clips -- just so easy and still fairly light at 4.1 oz. I might give the Hummingbirds straps another shot... I was brand new when I tried them and they required a little more thought to set up.

I'd love to hear more about your experience with the Daylite.
    It is small, but it's comfortable for me. I'm 5'10, 220, so not really a small guy, pretty wide in the shoulders. I can nap in it, but it is definitely not for prolonged use, probably about an hour or 2 would be the most I would use it. You can't really get any diagonal lay, just put your feet to one side or the other. Decent shoulder squeeze, but if I put an elbow or two on the edge, it doesn't bother me.

I have fallen off of it once, but I can't blame the hammock. My daughter and I were sitting up in it when my boy tackled us and all three of us flipped backwards and ate dirt. Wouldn't have happened in my WBBB but then again, unless you're planning on getting tackled, shouldn't be too much of an issue.
    Check out the marine's video, he's a big guy I think:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUjhiW3RKcA

As far as the hummingbird straps, they're alright. Pretty short, so limiting on the trees you can use. I just leave the straps on the hammock and put dutch clips on the tree strap.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Burrow
    Suspension
    Mantis/ daisy ch
    Thanks for your help!
    I just about 5 minutes ago found that same video, and "skimmed" it. I'll watch it through now.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Burrow
    Suspension
    Mantis/ daisy ch
    Well, I've decided what I want to order for my running hammock. It is going to be an SLD Tree Runner, 9' with a fixed ridgeline and knotty mods at head left and feet right, in Cloud 71 if he'll work with that, otherwise Hexon 1.0.
    It's going to have to wait about a month before I order it, though, because I just spent all my spending money on a Superior Insulated Hammock for a new camping hammock. (They were on sale, so what could I do? )
    Thank you all for your help in deciding.

MountainFeist

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainFeist View Post
    Well, I've decided what I want to order for my running hammock. It is going to be an SLD Tree Runner, 9' with a fixed ridgeline and knotty mods at head left and feet right, in Cloud 71 if he'll work with that, otherwise Hexon 1.0.
    It's going to have to wait about a month before I order it, though, because I just spent all my spending money on a Superior Insulated Hammock for a new camping hammock. (They were on sale, so what could I do? )
    Thank you all for your help in deciding.

MountainFeist
    What width do you plan to get? If it's more than 58" it will probably be Hexon because as of now Cloud .71 doesn't come in XL width. And as others have reported, Hexon packs smaller than Cloud .71.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Burrow
    Suspension
    Mantis/ daisy ch
    I want it at about 58" wide anyway, but I didn't know Hexon packs smaller. Hmmm... I may go with the Hexon then. How much smaller are we talking about?

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    It was mentioned here by Jolly, who has both.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Burrow
    Suspension
    Mantis/ daisy ch
    Ok... I just placed my order! I ended up ordering a Charcoal Gray Hexon 1.0 Netless from Dutch, with a special request for 10' length instead of 11'.

I went back and forth on 9' or 10', and decided on 10' because it will be more versatile since I have a Wookie UQ that fits 10' hammocks. I won't be taking the UQ on runs, but I can now use this hammock in the park, even in the evenings when it gets cool.

Also I got knotty mods. Since I've never had them before, I didn't know if 9' w/ knotty mods might make it a little short for me. In my 9' Hennessy Leaf Lounger I usually hang my feet over the edge. So that's another reason I got the 10'.

I'm so excited! I hope it doesn't take long to get it!
    Thank you all for the feedback that helped me in my decision!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Burrow
    Suspension
    Mantis/ daisy ch
    I'm also trying a new suspension system. Today my Turtle Ties came in and I'll be connecting a strand of Amsteel to Spider Web huggers and connecting to the hammock with the Turtle Ties. My huggers aren't in, but I have some heavier ones I can use to tryout the system in the meantime. It should be a pretty light and small-packing set up when I get it all in.
    This is so much fun!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12