Lightbulb New camper, and you guys are very inspiring

Hello from California,
    My friend planned my first (ever) camping trip this coming May, and I knew I wanted to sleep in a hammock instead of a tent. I found this forum while researching how to sleep in a hammock, and you guys provide so much useful information.

In 2019, I went on my first cruise, and bought a cheap amazon hammock onto the cruise cabin to use on the balcony (friend suggestion on how to best enjoy a cruise balcony). I got extremely sea-sick and the hammock was the only place where the motion sickness was not an issue. I highly enjoyed my 6 sea days, on my balcony, in my hammock, watching whales while eating cruise food. However, being a Pacific Mexico Cruise, it always got too cold at night for me to be able to sleep in the hammock. Even with my new found knowledge on how to sleep in a hammock, in the cold, on top of water, I don't think I will be on any more cruises in the foreseeable future. So the hammock was going to be a piece of back yard furniture forever, until now.

My current set-up is a Double Nylon Hammock (from Amazon Chinese Vendor), from my cruise trip, on a Amazon Basic 9ft Hammock Stand that I got to lounge around my yard. What would you say to someone who loves hammocks but may potentially hate camping?

Hammock
    Little Shop of Hammocks
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Suspension
    J Bend
    My mom and dad have an 80 acre lot about 30-40 minutes out of town. She keeps horses and chickens. I’m giving my mom my old hammock set up, now that I’ve gotten fancier. She just hangs out and reads books, or listens to books on tape & does some knitting.

There’s no need to take them camping. Enjoy on your own terms. Hang your own hang, my friend.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 20 Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    Fiddling...
    If you want to be warm, even in your back yard, you need insulation under you. A nap on a nice spring day isn't comfortable if that early spring breeze kicks up.

Charlotte

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    11' WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    Beckett and EVOs
    Welcome! I'd say to give it a try - you won't know if you like camping or not until you try it.
    You could try it in your yard - you'll want a sleeping bag if you don't have an under quilt or top quilt, otherwise you'll be cold as you already know.
    My kids and I camp in our back yard almost monthly in our hammocks. It started out as a test-run before we went into the woods proper. It's easier to run into the house from your backyard if you forget something/get cold/bathroom than when you're a mile into the sticks

• + New Posts