Blackbird Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Mountain Fly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Ridgereape
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles

VIDEO: Flooded on the Ozark Trail

The Ozark Trail is a 350 mile trail located in south east MissourI. I set out planning to hike the northern most section of the the Ozark Trail from the Council Bluff Lake boat launch up to Onondaga State Park. The itinerary was to hike 65 miles over 4.5 days, however I was feeling good and trail proved easy to walk and I initially covered more miles than planned.

Initially the weather was nice, but it was apparent where the high water had been just a few days earlier. When the rain started on Day 2, it didn't take long for the water logged flood prone area's creeks to rise. I still managed to crank out 24 miles on Day 2. At the end of Day 2, the rain really came down.

On Day 3, I knew I would come to the Courtios Creek. This "creek" is a tubing, kayaking, and canoeing hot spot and known to be a challenging crossing in normal conditions. The week prior I was monitoring a USGS water level gauge online for a river in the area. Folks online told me the gauge being monitored needed to be at 3.5 feet to cross the Courtios. The gauge reached 8.5 feet the previous week, but had fallen to 4 feet.... prior to the rain. It rose to 6.5 feet, but I had to see the creek. After a 15 mile walk on day 3, I reached the Courtios and the amount of water flowing on this "creek" was amazing. The crossing at Bass Resort was about 300-400 feet across and the fastest current was on the far side of the "creek". It was very clear to even the most motivated hiker that it was uncrossable. Knowing that the Courtios would need to be crossed a second time in 8 miles, I knew I wouldn't be able to complete the remaining miles unless I waited a few days (for the creek level to fall).

I managed to get a shuttle back to my car and made my way home.

Thanks for sharing your walkabout- nice looking countryside. Good on you for not crossing that creek. Fifty odd years ago a friend of mine drown trying to cross a similar swollen 'creek'. I wasn't with him but others were and they said he was @ half way across and suddenly went down under. They found him three miles down creek. Turn around- don't drown.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch and HG
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG quilts
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Good video. Always interesting what you run into.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair & WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG 12ft. Sil Poly
    Insulation
    SLD Trail Winder
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Jeremy, your trip planning needs to get better. ... If you would have packed a speedo the results may have been different.

As always, great video.
    ~ Rerun

In 100 years it won't make any difference...

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    I enjoyed your video. I’ve had a few waterlogged adventures like that.

Thanks for posting.

Hammock
    summer XLC,winter dutch 11' netless
    Tarp
    HG dyneema hex
    Insulation
    HG UQ, EE TQ
    Suspension
    webbing/cam buckle
    Images
    I always enjoy your videos... no boring footage, just the noteworthy stuff with a little humor thrown in along the way... a perfect mix. After driving all that way to hike, I'd want to see the swollen creek for myself too and make my own determination on its crossability. It's very commendable that you stuck with the plan through unpleasant conditions and walked until you hit an insurmountable obstacle.

That section of the OT is very pretty in fair weather and I hope you are able to give it another shot sometime. Thanks for posting!

• + New Posts