Hammock
    Half-Zipped
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    UPDATE: These straps worked crazy good on the CDT. The set I sewed myself are still working like champ. Many thanks to @Chop aka Beardo for this recommendation. They can also be cleaned with hand sanitizer easily to remove the pine sap that you WILL get on them after use.

I have 2” Kevlar straps from Fugal Innovations that seem super light and pack down small. I was pretty disappointed in the dyneema straps from Warbonnet that ended up a rolled up roundish mess.

I tried evoloops with them but they work pretty well as-is, with one end as a sewn loop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Half-Zipped
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by mazotster View Post
    I have 2” Kevlar straps from Fugal Innovations that seem super light and pack down small. I was pretty disappointed in the dyneema straps from Warbonnet that ended up a rolled up roundish mess.

I tried evoloops with them but they work pretty well as-is, with one end as a sewn loop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ah. The ones I have curl slightly but I was usually able to straighten the part out that wrapped around the tree. Mine fit in my double ended stuff sack and never got too tangled in their travels. That being said I am ok with the straps getting a little fubar if they save me some weight which these did.

If you get time weigh yours and post their weight and length to compare

Hammock
    Walahalla Monolite 1.5
    Tarp
    Dynemma Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Mt Washington
    Suspension
    Whoopies slings
    Images
    Has anyone used a beckett hitch with them, I'd be curious to know how well they hold a hitch.

Hammock
    Half-Zipped
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Randonneur View Post
    Has anyone used a beckett hitch with them, I'd be curious to know how well they hold a hitch.
    Very slippery with normal becket hitch. They worked for me with J-bend but I have heard some stories of these straps slipping it and the person winding up on the ground. Thats why I used the toggles.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC UL DL
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Wooki, UGQ
    Suspension
    Becket straps
    Images
    I use the Warbonnet 15’ becket straps which are dynaweave. Not sure if that is the same thing. And I use a becket hitch with no hardware. I had a problem early with the slow ride to the ground when I was tying the hitch wrong. And this was actually really bad for the strap as well. Once I taught myself how to tie a proper knot I have not had a problem. I actually like it enough I switched my Hennessy to a continuous loop and bought a second set of straps.

Low stretch. Super light. Super adjustable once you get the hang of the knot.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean McC View Post
    I use the Warbonnet 15’ becket straps which are dynaweave. Not sure if that is the same thing. And I use a becket hitch with no hardware. I had a problem early with the slow ride to the ground when I was tying the hitch wrong. And this was actually really bad for the strap as well. Once I taught myself how to tie a proper knot I have not had a problem. I actually like it enough I switched my Hennessy to a continuous loop and bought a second set of straps.

Low stretch. Super light. Super adjustable once you get the hang of the knot.
    Becket (slipped sheet bend) without back-up can slip with the various 'flavors' of UHMWPE webbing. WB has this video that shows one way to back it up. There are other methods that use more wraps of the slipped bight before tucking it under the working end, etc, by which point it isn't technically a Becket any more... but whatever works is fine.

Either way, it helps enormously to use a pull loop on the CL to release it, or use an Evo loop as CL and pull on the button knot to achieve the same result. Just one very hard yank of UHMWPE (or any other webbing) materials can cause significant friction/heat damage to the CL.
    Last edited by cmoulder; 12-02-2021 at 09:58.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Quote Originally Posted by Two Speed View Post
    Ah. The ones I have curl slightly but I was usually able to straighten the part out that wrapped around the tree. Mine fit in my double ended stuff sack and never got too tangled in their travels. That being said I am ok with the straps getting a little fubar if they save me some weight which these did.

If you get time weigh yours and post their weight and length to compare
    I don't have a scale to weigh this, but the Fugal Innovations site says that at 12' long with 1 sewn loop as I have them, they weigh 2.4 oz for the pair. That seems about right -- they're really light for a 2" wide strap, and pack down small. (https://www.fugal-innovations.com/pr...kevlar-straps/) I combine these with the Beckett continuous loops from Autumn Ultralight which add a second smaller loop you can use as a thumb pull to really go after after the Beckett loop tied to the continuous loop. Works great for me and seems light and small. I got frustrated with the way the dyneema straps I had from Warbonnet just refused to go flat. Felt like I was tying a rope around the tree. It certainly worked as a hang, but I didn't feel great about the action against the bark.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12