Hammock
    Half-Zipped
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Dyneema Tree Straps..where have you been hiding? (video)

After several trips using Dyneema tree straps from the recommendation of another very long distance hiker I have found them to work great and for under 2.0 oz for two 12' straps I am wondering if you all have found something lighter for all your thru hiking needs?

I made a short youtube video about the straps as well as the hummingbird hammock suspension which I have used with great results on long distance hikes. The Dyneema straps have more length which is why they have worked better for me so far and will be accompanying me on my next long distance hike with a hammock.

Give it a watch and tell me what you think.

What suspension are you all using for your long distance hikes?

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Looks good Two Speed. Tough to get lighter than 1.5-2 oz for hammock suspension.
    Looks like that MyersTech Dyneema is 1.4 grams / foot.

I’ve been playing with the following...
    Dyneema tree strap -> Amsteel -> turtle tie -> hammock continuous loop.
    Most of the length is Amsteel which is 1.3g/foot. I also added one of Jeff Myers Evo loops to the tree end of the strap / they act like carabiners. I’ll have to weigh it all but pretty sure it was close to 2 oz for 15’ strap on each side.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I've been using 2x 10' Kevlar 3.3 straps with Evo loops for a good while now. I guess that if I were a thru hiker I'd get something a bit longer just in case, and definitely if I were out on the west coast or other places where big trees are the norm.

I carry a 3-4' Amsteel dogbone as well and use it maybe 3-4 times a year.

The 10' straps/loops weigh 2.67oz (76g) for the pair, which is probably 1.2oz more than same length UHMWPE — I used RBTR's Venom and Myerstech for a while — but I love the handling and simplicity of a straight webbing setup and knots enough to take the 35g hit.

Yeah, these are Kevlar. I dyed them so that they're somewhat compatible with my 'stealth' camo tarp. I also just wad them up and put them in the bishop bag with the hammock. I'd probably use a ziploc if they got pine sap on them regularly. Kevlar+Evo_Loops76g.jpg
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    I've been meaning to try 2" straps for a while, so I just ordered some from Myerstech. My 1" kevlar straps can twist and roll, so they don't protect the trees as well. I'm thinking of sewing a few tiny battens into 2" dyneema strap for a 4' tree strap to keep it flat. I don't weigh much, so I can use 900 lb. UHMWPE (Emmakites) or Dynaglide for whoopies and dog bones. Sqidmark had a system for holding a short tree strap in place that I'll look at again. Anybody tried something along these lines?

Hammock
    Half-Zipped
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    Looks good Two Speed. Tough to get lighter than 1.5-2 oz for hammock suspension.
    Looks like that MyersTech Dyneema is 1.4 grams / foot.

I’ve been playing with the following...
    Dyneema tree strap -> Amsteel -> turtle tie -> hammock continuous loop.
    Most of the length is Amsteel which is 1.3g/foot. I also added one of Jeff Myers Evo loops to the tree end of the strap / they act like carabiners. I’ll have to weigh it all but pretty sure it was close to 2 oz for 15’ strap on each side.
    Sounds like Jeff Myers has more stuff I need to investigate. I don't think I have ever had the need for 15' straps often but I had some attached to my beetle buckles and there were a few places were they came in handy.

Hammock
    Half-Zipped
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I've been using 2x 10' Kevlar 3.3 straps with Evo loops for a good while now. I guess that if I were a thru hiker I'd get something a bit longer just in case, and definitely if I were out on the west coast or other places where big trees are the norm.

I carry a 3-4' Amsteel dogbone as well and use it maybe 3-4 times a year.

The 10' straps/loops weigh 2.67oz (76g) for the pair, which is probably 1.2oz more than same length UHMWPE — I used RBTR's Venom and Myerstech for a while — but I love the handling and simplicity of a straight webbing setup and knots enough to take the 35g hit.

Yeah, these are Kevlar. I dyed them so that they're somewhat compatible with my 'stealth' camo tarp. I also just wad them up and put them in the bishop bag with the hammock. I'd probably use a ziploc if they got pine sap on them regularly. Kevlar+Evo_Loops76g.jpg
    Ah. I just recently went to the strap only suspension and have to say I am happy with it so far. I have some thicker straps I use for car camping they come in at a luxurious 6 or 7 ounces.

Hammock
    Half-Zipped
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    I've been meaning to try 2" straps for a while, so I just ordered some from Myerstech. My 1" kevlar straps can twist and roll, so they don't protect the trees as well. I'm thinking of sewing a few tiny battens into 2" dyneema strap for a 4' tree strap to keep it flat. I don't weigh much, so I can use 900 lb. UHMWPE (Emmakites) or Dynaglide for whoopies and dog bones. Sqidmark had a system for holding a short tree strap in place that I'll look at again. Anybody tried something along these lines?
    I havn't tried anything like that but will agree a downside of the 1" strap is the curling. I attempt to straighten the portion touching the tree out when I set them up to varying results.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Two Speed View Post
    Sounds like Jeff Myers has more stuff I need to investigate. I don't think I have ever had the need for 15' straps often but I had some attached to my beetle buckles and there were a few places were they came in handy.
    Yea, I plan to reduce these to 12' but haven't done it yet. I've had a couple trees in NC where 15' was needed but that was pretty rare and honestly could have chosen other trees.
    Jeff just offered something similar to the Evo loop - looks like a pretty easy DIY if you want. 3grams each (he says 28g in the video but corrects it in the comments).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOEHtblKZ-I

Hammock
    Half-Zipped
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    Yea, I plan to reduce these to 12' but haven't done it yet. I've had a couple trees in NC where 15' was needed but that was pretty rare and honestly could have chosen other trees.
    Jeff just offered something similar to the Evo loop - looks like a pretty easy DIY if you want. 3grams each (he says 28g in the video but corrects it in the comments).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOEHtblKZ-I
    Those look pretty cool. Seems like he is focusing on speed of set up. I am so slow to set up I am usually ok with a little extra time especially if it saves me weight.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Two Speed View Post
    Ah. I just recently went to the strap only suspension and have to say I am happy with it so far. I have some thicker straps I use for car camping they come in at a luxurious 6 or 7 ounces.
    Yep, absolutely nothing wrong with those inexpensive polyester straps and I'd not hesitate to use them in situations where low weight and volume are not concerns.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast