WBBB DL + 7 others
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    LocoLibre TQ0 UQ0
    Suspension
    15'Kevlar3.3J-bend

2" daisy chain huggers? Where are they?

Looking for these, ready-made and available to order, not DIY. Weight not a consideration but but reliability is. Any help I appreciate. Thank you all.

Hammock
    Little Shop of Hammocks
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Suspension
    J Bend
    Kammock pythons have a thicker strap (I don’t remember if they’re 1.5 or 2 inch) where it wraps the tree, then they taper down to .75” the rest of the way.

Back when I used carabiners and daisy chain, I used them. Maybe live them a search? I think kammock still have them in stock (and they used to be widely available in North America. Don’t know if they still are)
    Last edited by KingMob; 03-22-2021 at 20:14.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    They are still available in a couple lengths and listed as 1.5-1.75" (variable width).
    The "Extenders", which I have, are 2" but not daisy chained.

Hammock
    Little Shop of Hammocks
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Suspension
    J Bend
    Quote Originally Posted by LowTech View Post
    They are still available in a couple lengths and listed as 1.5-1.75" (variable width).
    The "Extenders", which I have, are 2" but not daisy chained.
    Thanks. My memory is fuzzy about the straps, I remember liking them, but then decided to go silly light with Dutch spider straps and sold my old pythons. They were quite good for what they were, though.

I don’t know if these will help the OP, but it’s something that might fill the need they’ve got, perhaps?

Hammock
    WBBB DL + 7 others
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    LocoLibre TQ0 UQ0
    Suspension
    15'Kevlar3.3J-bend
    Thanks for the suggestions. Regular thin 2" huggers still work fine with Kevlar 3.3 and J Bend with a biner. Or just the biner and Dutch's daisy chains. I was asking about an odd item it seems but was curious as a great-nephew who now loves hammocking asked me if anyone made them.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    Off the shelf 2" daisy chains are going to be quite rare and understandably so. 2" daisies don't really make sense for most folks. The wider webbing would make it a lot harder to connect the carabiners. The standard 20-30mm oval, D-shaped, or asymmetric D climbing carabiners most of us use wouldn't work well. You would need a much larger carabiner to allow enough room for the webbing to get through the gate and to preclude the webbing from putting lateral force on the gate once it's loaded. My estimate is that you would need at least a 50mm carabiner, maybe larger. As my wife would say: "That's a really big 'biner!"

Do you know why your great-nephew is looking for 2" wide daisy chains in particular? I can think of a half dozen different ways to increase protection for the trees and still use standard 1" daisies.
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

Hammock
    WBBB DL + 7 others
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    LocoLibre TQ0 UQ0
    Suspension
    15'Kevlar3.3J-bend
    He loves his ENO daisy chain and wants to be sure he won't be asked to take down his hammock with thin tree straps, so why not combine the two was his thinking. An off the wall request for sure, but but he comes up with many "why nots? about many things.

I don't mention the following so as to not discourage him, but myself over time realized the truth of the saying: "To the beginner's mind, the possibilities are many. To the experts, few." Although that's not always true of course.

I have Black Diamond oval biners that with wide but thin nylon seat belt webbing have no side load issues under load. The thin webbing scrunches down into an oval into the ovel biner end. For coarser huggers, nope. I should also mention that I have Gibbon Slacklines treewear wraps, that protect the bark on trees, a useful item under any huggers. I'm going back to working on the slackline (low) and hope to finally get it, now that winter is finally over here, but I'm in later seventies now so I don't expect sudden gains. I do other balance practice every day, a necessity at this age, including at my standup desktop computer. Once you break that hip or pelvis, it's downhill.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    There’s usually the opportunity to put sticks between the strap and the tree bark. Don’t know if some park official would appreciate that effort more or less than 2” wide straps.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts