Hammock
    Hammeck Netty, Astd. Dutch
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex, TF
    Insulation
    HG,WLSS,JrB,UGQ,LL
    Suspension
    LW straps/Becket
    I'll agree with others in that I would recommend a 20 degree set-or perhaps a 20 degree UQ and 30 degree TQ to start out. That way, you COULD make it work year round. That being said, if your summers and early falls/late springs are anything like mine in GA, don't be surprised if you find yourself looking for a 40 or 50 degree set for warm weather. Just because I can make a 20 degree set work in warm doesn't mean I like it. It's a lot of extra weight and bulk to carry around in the pack then at night, you have to do workarounds to make it comfortable. Buying your first quilts is a huge jump, for sure. I'd check out the For Sale forum here as well as the many online Buy/Selll/Trade sites, and of course ebay. If you ever are lucky enough to find a used Wilderness Logics Summer series quilt set, buy it. These discontinued quilts are great for warm weather If you want to buy new, it's much easier than it used to be as many of the cottage vendors now offer "econ" versions which are just as warm, just a bit heavier/bulkier than the premium models. Good luck!

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear 360
    Tarp
    SaphiRose 10x12
    Insulation
    ENO UQ/TQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Draketake View Post
    Hey Rmil,

Make it easy.

Hammock Gear Econ 20 degree, full length, Incubator for an UnderQuilt.

Get their Econ 20 degree Burrow, Topquilt, if you need one.
    First post, short time lurker. lol.. I feel like Rmil. Overwhelmed trying to decide. Looked at those options and like how you said they're rated for comfort vs survival. Prices look decent. Sold. Or not. I saw they ship in approx 8 weeks. ugh. Hoping to get out sooner than that. Any similar brand recommendations?

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty, Astd. Dutch
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex, TF
    Insulation
    HG,WLSS,JrB,UGQ,LL
    Suspension
    LW straps/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by bucky716 View Post
    First post, short time lurker. lol.. I feel like Rmil. Overwhelmed trying to decide. Looked at those options and like how you said they're rated for comfort vs survival. Prices look decent. Sold. Or not. I saw they ship in approx 8 weeks. ugh. Hoping to get out sooner than that. Any similar brand recommendations?
    There are lots of great deals on the secondary market. Also, I believe anyone can post in the "Want to Buy" forum on this site. If you're on Facebook, check out the used backpacking sales groups.

Hammock
    Little Shop of Hammocks
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Suspension
    J Bend
    I can suggest the thermarest vesper top quilt. It’s pretty good for mass manufacture. For underquilt, there’s some on all the for sale sites and whatnot.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon
    Tarp
    Tarpless
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie's
    Images
    Agree with the HG Econ 20 set, or 20 UQ 30TQ. Any of the cottage quilts will serve you well, but I like the HG Econ line because the cost: performance ratio is the best among the cottage brands, IMO. I will also attest that HG's ratings are "comfort" ratings. I've had my 20* set in the mid 20's in light base layers without a hint of coldness.

I think someone said your average bed is similar to -10 insulation? Assuming thats somewhat correct, you can see that a very warm under quilt will not create near as much overheating as a hot top quilt. Also if you have cold butt you will never be warm.
    Thus, get a beefy bottom quilt and then you can go lighter on the TQ if you want. TQ is much easier to add more layers to (like a costco down throw) to add another 10+* to it. Cant really do that with a bottom quilt.

Also I'm 6'1 and prefer the Long version UQ for temps below 35 (but a regular TQ for all temps). The long wraps around my foot better and does not lead to a cold spot on the top-outside corner of my foot, which will happen with the Regular version due to where the suspension strap lies.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I'd personally be inclined to get a 20* quilt set - they work fine in hotter temps (you can always vent). My first quilt set was 20*, and I was happy with it for two years. I finally got a 0* quilt set after hitting the limits of that 20* quilt set. Later, I got a 40* quilt set for warmer temps.
    That is a lot of quilts, sir!
    Owner/Founder at Hammockgear.com - Hammock Camping Outfitters
    Home of the Burrow, the Incubator, and the Phoenix

Hammock
    Chameleon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB mountainfly
    When researching the recommendations made I noticed top quilts come with the choice of sewn or zipper? I can’t imagine why it’d need to be open, but never owned one.....so what’s the zipper for?

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    To open it up for warmer weather basically.
    I spend most of my time in warmer areas and a sewn foot box would have me changing out my quits for higher rated ones a lot sooner. It also let's me use it totally open in the rig like a blanket.

A sewn one is said to be warmer and have no draft potential. So cold winter campers seem to prefer that.
    Last edited by LowTech; 03-23-2021 at 11:11.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Rmil78 View Post
    When researching the recommendations made I noticed top quilts come with the choice of sewn or zipper? I can’t imagine why it’d need to be open, but never owned one.....so what’s the zipper for?
    I thought I'd unzip more often...I've never done it. If I get hot, I usually pull one leg out of the footbox. The hole in the footbox will let cool air in. Not so bad when it's in the 50s and 60s, but once it gets to the 40s I wish I had a sewn footbox. I usually stuff a rolled up pair of socks in the hole on those cooler nights. If I had to do it again, I'd keep my 40F Burrow with a zipper footbox and get the sewn footbox on the 20F Burrow (and switch to the Premium).

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    I suppose it's a matter of preference. I had initially thought sewn footbox would be better and I'd end up stuffing socks in the hole to stop a draft, but I've never noticed a draft and have ended up unzipping the 20* burrow for any temperatures above 40. I do tend to like my feet being a couple inches back from the end of the footbox so that I don't feel like I'm pressing up against it, so maybe that seals it off.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast